HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:51 PM
Let the vortex pull my weight.
Joined Aug 2009
287 Posts
Highrates, would it be possible for you post a pic of the sheeting applied?
Hasek is offline Find More Posts by Hasek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:07 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek View Post
The first page of the thread has a picture.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:32 PM
USA, GA, McDonough
Joined May 2010
71 Posts
Quote:
Hope these help.
HighRates is offline Find More Posts by HighRates
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:13 PM
Joined Aug 2009
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRates View Post
Hope these help.
They are a great help, thank you.

I saw the "top" and "bottom" sheeting pieces included on sheet six, but they sure didn't cover from leading edge to trailing. That's what i was hoping to figure out from the picture/s.

James, the pic you are referring to is the one near the very end of post #1? I did see that before I asked for the pics from Highrates.

Old Jan 19, 2011, 08:04 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
They are a great help, thank you.

I saw the "top" and "bottom" sheeting pieces included on sheet six, but they sure didn't cover from leading edge to trailing. That's what i was hoping to figure out from the picture/s.

James, the pic you are referring to is the one near the very end of post #1? I did see that before I asked for the pics from Highrates.

The pieces that have the jagged pieces, are for top and bottom spar to trailing edge. other pieces need to be fitted for spar to leading edge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:16 AM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
582 Posts
5 general questions

James

1) Is there a reason not to put the tail wheel strut mount aft of the joiner on the fuse stick?

2) What would you consider the minimum servo torque rating (high power motor option, 2 aileron servos)?

3) Can the shaft on the BO2217-9 motor be reversed so the motor can be inside the mount?

4) Is flat 3M Scotch tape still the recommended hinge material? I do have some Blenderm tape from Radical RC. The plane is currently hinged.

5) I covered the plane with a super light covering that was a bear to use. It sticks to it's self and tears easily. I was not too happy with the results. I do not think it will hold up too well. As I may recover can you recommended, any somewhat tougher and easier to apply covering material? It has been a while since I built and covered a balsa airframe and have never used a super light covering.

I bought the kit at SEFF in 08 or 09. I take a long time to build. Unemployed now, I have some time to catch up on projects. (however, that biplane looks sooooo good)

See you at SEFF!

Ken Lilja
Ken Lilja is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:35 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lilja View Post
James

1) Is there a reason not to put the tail wheel strut mount aft of the joiner on the fuse stick?

You can put it farther back. I put it just in front of the tail mount.

2) What would you consider the minimum servo torque rating (high power motor option, 2 aileron servos)?

What ever an HS-55 puts-out

3) Can the shaft on the BO2217-9 motor be reversed so the motor can be inside the mount?

I do it all the time.

4) Is flat 3M Scotch tape still the recommended hinge material? I do have some Blenderm tape from Radical RC. The plane is currently hinged.
You must have the old version. The new one has all CA hinges. I don't like the look of blenderm.

5) I covered the plane with a super light covering that was a bear to use. It sticks to it's self and tears easily. I was not too happy with the results. I do not think it will hold up too well. As I may recover can you recommended, any somewhat tougher and easier to apply covering material? It has been a while since I built and covered a balsa airframe and have never used a super light covering.
I only use Oralight now. It is sold in the US as Ultracote lite and Ultracote parklite. The transparents are the "Lite" and Opaques are the "Parklite" The lighter color parklites are semi opaque.

I bought the kit at SEFF in 08 or 09. I take a long time to build. Unemployed now, I have some time to catch up on projects. (however, that biplane looks sooooo good)
Call me to order and I will give you a discount on the SSX Biplane for posting.

See you at SEFF!

Ken Lilja

See answers in bold above.

Thanks,

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:34 PM
Joined Jan 2011
18 Posts
Newly completed

Here it is, now we wait on the weather. Its 19 deg F, 13 mph wind and +4" of snow on the ground.
I purchased the kit two weeks ago from Radical RC of Dayton, Ohio, it is an older series but it went together okay.
Covered with solarfilm, TowerPro2409-18 1000kv / 180W motor, 3S 11.1V 1500mAh battery.
I haven't flown fixed wing in years, getting back into the hobby so that is the reason for building as a trainer.
I downloaded the model file into my G3 simulator, bast to fly! Is the simulator realistic? Please comment if you know. I like setting the wind so it gust to 8~9 mph.

-Brad
iampilot2 is offline Find More Posts by iampilot2
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:37 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampilot2 View Post
Here it is, now we wait on the weather. Its 19 deg F, 13 mph wind and +4" of snow on the ground.
I purchased the kit two weeks ago from Radical RC of Dayton, Ohio, it is an older series but it went together okay.
Covered with solarfilm, TowerPro2409-18 1000kv / 180W motor, 3S 11.1V 1500mAh battery.
I haven't flown fixed wing in years, getting back into the hobby so that is the reason for building as a trainer.
I downloaded the model file into my G3 simulator, bast to fly! Is the simulator realistic? Please comment if you know. I like setting the wind so it gust to 8~9 mph.

-Brad
Wow, nice workmanship.

Yes the sim model is accurate. The only difference you will see is the cross wing characteristics. With the dihedral, the wing tends to lift into the cross wind.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:39 AM
Joined Sep 2007
6 Posts
build videos

I have seen several references to SSX build videos but none of my searches have found it. Could someone post a link?

I have a rev A kit that I bought some time ago. Now that winter has really set in here, I am finally getting around to building it. Some of the instructions are a little vague.
jjl1 is offline Find More Posts by jjl1
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:41 AM
Joined Sep 2007
6 Posts
build videos

I have seen several references to SSX build videos but none of my searches have found it. Could someone send me a link?

I have a rev A kit that I bought some time ago. Now that winter has really set in here, I am finally getting around to building it. Some of the instructions are a little vague.
jjl1 is offline Find More Posts by jjl1
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:33 PM
Joined Jan 2011
18 Posts
Maiden Flight

Just got back flying it for the first time, I like it!
15 deg. air temp, wind gust 2~9 mph.
James you are correct about the dihedral but I had a bast.
Fifteen minutes I had already used up two batteries
Looking forward to the next time, I will be building a straight wing soon.
-Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
Wow, nice workmanship.

Yes the sim model is accurate. The only difference you will see is the cross wing characteristics. With the dihedral, the wing tends to lift into the cross wind.

James
iampilot2 is offline Find More Posts by iampilot2
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:27 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl1 View Post
I have seen several references to SSX build videos but none of my searches have found it. Could someone send me a link?

Here are all the videos, keep in mind I have not updated them for the 2010 kit.

Slow Stick X with Floats
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707903
Slow Stick X in Flight
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=Slow+Stick+X
Build Video Part 1 (Wing)

Build Video Part 2 (Tail Feathers)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652409

Slow Stick X in Flight

Flying indoor at Perry
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651528

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:29 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl1 View Post

Please if you don't understand something, don't hesitate to ask.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:10 PM
Joined Aug 2009
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
The pieces that have the jagged pieces, are for top and bottom spar to trailing edge. other pieces need to be fitted for spar to leading edge.
Do you mean they need to be cut to fit from scrap, or are these pieces already cut on a sheet? If so, I am not seeing them on any of my sheets.

There are a few pieces on the sheets that are about 2in x 3.5in that are not labeled. Are these what I am supposed to use?

James, my sincerest apologies for the possibly inane questions. Honestly, I am nervous in building this as I know from my history, if I can mess it up, I will mess it up.