HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 06, 2009, 04:53 PM
jkarpy's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesppp View Post
Looks like you did a great job with the re design. I like the precut hinge slots..Even with the jig and ca hinge cutter I always mamanage to dink it up.

James, Could you share the water rudder setup I see on some of the planes in the pics? Im going to set up my SSX Trainer on floats for spring and if I like it as much as I think i will Im just going to leave it as a float plane.

Thanks
Mount the rudder on the tail end of one float. Run a flexible push rod from the rudder servo to the water rudder. The water rudder is from Ernst. I am sure I have the details in this thread somewhere. The push rod housing should be secured at both ends. Be sure to grease-up the push rod so it operates smoothly and does not rust.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jkarpy; Dec 06, 2009 at 09:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2009, 04:57 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
galaxiex's Avatar
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,572 Posts
The new kit looks awesome!

Have you ever considered making the SSX/Trainer wing with stick mounts to put twin motors on it?

I have the Radical RC wing motor mounts, that make the stock SS wing a twin, but find the stock wing kinda weak when you put two, 250Watt outrunners on it.

Also, what about a "stock type" undercambered wing with dihedral, no ailerons, in balsa, for a real floater?

I like how the stock SS wing flys... I just don't like the weak foam...

galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:22 PM
jkarpy's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post
The new kit looks awesome!

Have you ever considered making the SSX/Trainer wing with stick mounts to put twin motors on it?

I have the Radical RC wing motor mounts, that make the stock SS wing a twin, but find the stock wing kinda weak when you put two, 250Watt outrunners on it.

Also, what about a "stock type" undercambered wing with dihedral, no ailerons, in balsa, for a real floater?

I like how the stock SS wing flys... I just don't like the weak foam...

I will consider adding it to my do list.

Thanks for the suggestion,

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2009, 09:38 AM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
There is only 1 thing that would make the new SX even better than it alrady is.. that is if it was already made for me. Having a new baby makes it difficult to build. dang, finding time to assemble an arf is hard enough to do

I stil havent finished the micro 3dx from perry last year
Liquidity is offline Find More Posts by Liquidity
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2009, 09:39 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Hey James,

Any word on the larger SSX project?

Or is that on the back burner for another while?
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2009, 10:07 AM
jkarpy's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
There is only 1 thing that would make the new SX even better than it alrady is.. that is if it was already made for me. Having a new baby makes it difficult to build. dang, finding time to assemble an arf is hard enough to do

I stil havent finished the micro 3dx from perry last year
Excuses, excuses!
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2009, 10:09 AM
jkarpy's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Hey James,

Any word on the larger SSX project?

Or is that on the back burner for another while?
My reasoning to the redesign was also to experiment with features that I can carry over the the SSX Biplane and Big SSX. Both planes are now off the back burner.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2009, 06:44 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
My reasoning to the redesign was also to experiment with features that I can carry over the the SSX Biplane and Big SSX. Both planes are now off the back burner.

James
James!

That's great news!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2009, 08:55 PM
Registered User
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2009
119 Posts
1\16" Sheeting Question

Answered my own question...use the sheeting with the cutout (for servo access) on the opposite side of the one with a hole in it.
rcHeli101 is offline Find More Posts by rcHeli101
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:08 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
James - will you have something to debut at SEFF this year?
Liquidity is offline Find More Posts by Liquidity
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:44 PM
Registered User
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2009
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcHeli101 View Post
Answered my own question...use the sheeting with the cutout (for servo access) on the opposite side of the one with a hole in it.
OK, I'm back to my original question: where does the 1\16" sheeting with the cutouts go? The pieces on Sheet 6 don't quite fit the picture in Step 13...and I know I'll glue something in the wrong place!

Thanks,



Jeff
rcHeli101 is offline Find More Posts by rcHeli101
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:47 PM
jkarpy's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
James - will you have something to debut at SEFF this year?
That is the plan. I have several designs in the works.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:55 PM
jkarpy's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcHeli101 View Post
OK, I'm back to my original question: where does the 1\16" sheeting with the cutouts go? The pieces on Sheet 6 don't quite fit the picture in Step 13...and I know I'll glue something in the wrong place!

Thanks,



Jeff
Hope this helps.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2009, 09:58 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
Well I got an offer I can not refuse. Jeff offered to build the new SSX kit for me and mail it out to me.. what a guy... Looks like I will have another SSX.. Damn that bildobaggins guy for buying my old one off of me
Liquidity is offline Find More Posts by Liquidity
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2009, 10:18 PM
jkarpy's Avatar
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
Well I got an offer I can not refuse. Jeff offered to build the new SSX kit for me and mail it out to me.. what a guy... Looks like I will have another SSX.. Damn that bildobaggins guy for buying my old one off of me
Jeff from Hodges?
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Quick build Slow Stick mattyfly4fun Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 14 Feb 18, 2013 12:12 AM
Discussion Will this Slow Stick build "work"? chapped Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 36 Mar 08, 2010 07:29 PM
Discussion Help me with a brushless Slow Stick build chapped Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 10 Jan 13, 2010 12:27 PM
Sold Millenium X-gear Carbon Fiber Landing gear for Slow Stick Scirocco14 Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 2 Jan 11, 2010 11:38 PM