HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2009, 06:40 AM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
I did, it was easy and made for a clean look.
Hi OZ,

you got a pic or two and any advice on doing it for an old dude

Thanks

Jimmy
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2009, 10:11 AM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
I agree straight wing. You dont need the dihedral. THE SSX is such an awesome flyer.
Liquidity is offline Find More Posts by Liquidity
Old Nov 07, 2009, 02:37 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesppp View Post
Thanks, I saw it mentioned when I read thru this thread, I just didnt pay too much attn at the time

my kit showed up today, thanks for getting it out quickly. I love USPS priority. I get it in 2 days if I order early wheather it is ffrom Oregon or Florida and they pick up at my wifes store everyday

Hodge Hound....did you come to the Heli Fun Fly weekend before last at Macks?

Me and my buddy came down on Friday and left after dark Sunday night. Did some night flying with Joey Fri night till midnight

I bought a Millennium SS from Pete, he had a an X trainer and the straight wing model in his trailer that i bought. It has a Scorpion 2215 200 w motor and flies great.

I tried to buy one from Joey's bosses trailer that is shown in the slide show on Milleniums web site. It was beautiful, red/blue/purple. I didnt work out a deal on that one

That leaves me with this kit. I had bought a GWS SS kit before the funfly and didnt build it till after I flew the Mill SS. I also picked up a spare GWS SS kit from Mack while at the FF. I decided to get a millennium kit also and build it with dihedral to have one of each but Im having second thoughts as the straightwing flies sooo good. I like the idea of having a little more laid back one though
Im not a great plane flyer and havent flown planes since 2000 when I quit for some reason. Ive been heavy into helis for the last 2 years.

What do you guys that have flown the dihedral wing think???Go with it or go with the staright wing on this one too?
Thanks,

Jimmy
DId you stand real close to Joey while he was flying? If so, you are brave...
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Nov 07, 2009, 06:23 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcproptester View Post
DId you stand real close to Joey while he was flying? If so, you are brave...

Right beside him. He grew up right down the street from me in Carrollton. I even let him fly all of my helis
Last edited by jamesppp; Nov 08, 2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 08:06 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
I did it too, but Alcohol was involved! Look at Youtube for username Footballbat74. I have some videos of Joey at night..
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Nov 07, 2009, 10:15 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesppp View Post
Hi OZ,

you got a pic or two and any advice on doing it for an old dude

Thanks

Jimmy
This is the best pic I have on my computer. Unfortunately, I can't go out and take a pic because I am out of the country until mid January
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Nov 08, 2009, 09:04 AM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Good enough. Thanks.

I like that all 4 of your servos are under the wing. he aileron servos on the one I have are just screwed into sheeting up top.

Jimmy
Old Nov 08, 2009, 06:09 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
SSX Fus.

I read about someone making a fus. for the SSX. Anyone have any picks or links to post's.
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
Old Nov 08, 2009, 08:28 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
My buddy put the SSx down on its back 2 times times doing looow. slooow, inverted wing tip drags today..Both times just flipped it upright afterwards and flew off..

I cant fly like that and am still considering the dihedral wing..Ive got to decide because ive got to cut something one way or another..I can fly the straight wing and it flies great but I get all dyslexic when inverted and lose orientation too often and feel that I could use a little bit more self stabilization. Stabilization isnt really the right word as the straight wing doesnt have any bad habits that I have seen at all and is very stable
Maybe the trainer configuration will give me a little more time to think or correct..I dont know
I can always build another wing for it.

How much difference is there in the flight characteristics of the 2 different builds. Im assuming the X Trainer responds a lot better than the styrofoam wing GWS Slow stick that Im flying now. (for the last week) It is very relaxing but I definitly want snappier performance than it has. I put over an hour airtime on the GWS today.Perfect 68f and 0-5 wind..cnt beat the conditions today.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Old Nov 08, 2009, 09:50 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Is there a pic anywhere showing the trailing edge crutch installed?

Does it center the trailing edge of the ribs and match the shape of the rib trailing tip?

Thanks
Last edited by jamesppp; Nov 09, 2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2009, 09:56 PM
Don't be scared, fly it!
Georgia, USA
Joined Mar 2008
618 Posts
Jimmy, are you gonna swing by the store tomorrow?

Robert
Cloud Cruiser is offline Find More Posts by Cloud Cruiser
Old Nov 09, 2009, 06:38 AM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Cruiser View Post
Jimmy, are you gonna swing by the store tomorrow?

Robert
Sure will
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:22 AM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
I didnt think to try the search function for info on the trailing edge crutch.

Since the trailing edge of the used SSX I bought a couple of weeks ago isnt built like this new kit, I didnt know exactly what kind of bevel it needed

I didnt bevel the first one nearly enough and cut the tabs out of the notches to test fit it....I tried to clamp it to the table edge with a metal ruler across the front edge but I dont have it sanded enough yet and it is already in 3 pieces...

Hopefully Ill be able to piece it in enough to hold the trailing edge straight enough so that with the upper and lower sheeting strips applied it will be true

Unfortunately the nearest hobby shop that has a decent wood selection is 65 miles away
Last edited by jamesppp; Nov 10, 2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:08 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,767 Posts
Im wondering what prop to use with this setup

My GWS SS has a TP 2409-10 motor with an 11x4.3 on it. The Scorpion powered SSX has an 10x8 prop on it

I ordered the BP 2212-13, 1000kv motor/mount combo from James with my kit.

All of these are/will be flown with 3S power from 1350-2200mah. Im using a Castle P-25ESC on the SSX. With 4 digital servos I may use a Dimension Sport BEC also but will try not to. I might just use 2 hs-55 on the ailerons and 2 HS 65mg on the tail surfaces. The internal BEC on the ESC should be fine with 4 analog servos ...maybe

Thanks,

Jimmy
Old Nov 12, 2009, 02:02 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mori55 View Post
When are the ARFS coming back ??? Been waiting awhile.
It will be a while, we are trying to avoid burrowing the money to buy them.
jkarpy is online now Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member