HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2009, 02:49 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,367 Posts
Slide your wing back about 1" and make sure that when you check your CG the battery is installed.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2009, 03:03 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_J
I finished my SSX last night and wanted to fly it today, but it ended up being very tail heavy. It's shown in the picture with the wing leading edge being ~6" from the front fuselage. I would have to move the wing back another 3" for it to balance properly (at which point it looks a bit silly and probably wouldn't fly that well).

This was my first wood / plastic covered model, so I might have used the too much CA glue, and the wrong type of covering. I used transparent red Monokote which I've read is heavier than the recommended solite/microlite, but at the time I didn't think it would make much difference. I don't have a scale to weigh the tail section but I will probably buy one this week. How much should the tail section weigh anyway?

And are there any other suggestions for getting it to balance properly?
Don't move your wing back more than 6 inches. Make sure your battery is in front of the wing as far forward as possible. I need more details about your setup and pictures to salve the problem. I have used transparent Monokote with no trouble at all. That is not the problem. Remember, the CG sweet spot is up to 1" back from the spar.

James

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2009, 03:55 PM
Digitally modulated
Florida
Joined Jan 2007
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy
Don't move your wing back more than 6 inches. Make sure your battery is in front of the wing as far forward as possible. I need more details about your setup and pictures to salve the problem. I have used transparent Monokote with no trouble at all. That is not the problem. Remember, the CG sweet spot is up to 1" back from the spar.

James
Thanks for the quick reply James.

If I try to balance it 1" behind the center spar, it's much better but still a little tail heavy. As far as my setup goes, the battery (1320 mAh 3s FlightPower EVO lite) is directly under the motor. I'm running the BL-2212/13 from your site, using your motor mount. I have two big ugly (standard-size) servos on the elevator and rudder. I will probably replace these with HS-55's today, as it is probably contributing to it being tail-heavy. Other than that, I'm clueless until I weigh my tail section.
Neil_J is offline Find More Posts by Neil_J
Old Sep 07, 2009, 04:07 PM
Digitally modulated
Florida
Joined Jan 2007
397 Posts
I removed the standard-size servos from the elevator and rudder mount. It now balances about 1/2-3/4" back from the center spar. They weighed 1.5 oz. each (!!), and were 3" back from the center spar. I think this was my problem. I'm going to mount the HS-55's today which weigh virtually nothing (0.28 oz. each).

Quick question, I would like to order the X-Fuse but I need to know if the mounting brackets for the servo are identical to the GWS mount. i.e. if I rig up the control linkages today, will I have to redo them with the X-Fuse arrives?
Old Sep 07, 2009, 04:20 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
I removed the standard-size servos from the elevator and rudder mount. It now balances about 1/2-3/4" back from the center spar. They weighed 1.5 oz. each (!!), and were 3" back from the center spar. I think this was my problem. I'm going to mount the HS-55's today which weigh virtually nothing (0.28 oz. each).

Quick question, I would like to order the X-Fuse but I need to know if the mounting brackets for the servo are identical to the GWS mount. i.e. if I rig up the control linkages today, will I have to redo them with the X-Fuse arrives?
My mounts are not identical to the GWS mounts. The servos will end up in the same location though. Make sure you move the servos as far forward as possible. Just not so far that the arms hit the wing spar. I am sure your large size servos were your problem.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2009, 04:33 PM
Digitally modulated
Florida
Joined Jan 2007
397 Posts
Quote:
My mounts are not identical to the GWS mounts. The servos will end up in the same location though. Make sure you move the servos as far forward as possible. Just not so far that the arms hit the wing spar. I am sure your large size servos were your problem.

James
Thanks, I'll get the X-Fuse on order today. After that, I think the only original item on my rig will be the center fuselage
Old Sep 09, 2009, 05:45 PM
Digitally modulated
Florida
Joined Jan 2007
397 Posts
James,

With the X-Fuse kit, where do you recommend the speed controller and receiver to be mounted? With the GWS mount, I could velcro them to the top of the battery tray, but I can't really do that with the new one.
Old Sep 09, 2009, 08:32 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
James,

With the X-Fuse kit, where do you recommend the speed controller and receiver to be mounted? With the GWS mount, I could velcro them to the top of the battery tray, but I can't really do that with the new one.
I mount the receiver under the wing on the CG. The ESC is mounted to the top of the battery mount. You can use the provided double sided foam tape to mount the ESC and receiver.
James
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2009, 09:08 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Guys,

Some updates to my Slow Stick-X!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...29&postcount=1
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Sep 09, 2009, 10:06 PM
Digitally modulated
Florida
Joined Jan 2007
397 Posts
So my final CG after the X-Fuse and new servos is 1.5" behind the center spar (measured by balancing the fuselage on a pencil eraser... is there a better way to do this?).

Let me know if this is ok before I screw everything into place.

Thanks again,

Neil
Old Sep 09, 2009, 11:29 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
So my final CG after the X-Fuse and new servos is 1.5" behind the center spar (measured by balancing the fuselage on a pencil eraser... is there a better way to do this?).

Let me know if this is ok before I screw everything into place.

Thanks again,

Neil
The CG is too far back. You need to be on or past the spar no more than 1". The more novice you are, the closer you need to be to the spar. Can you move the servos forward? Move everything you can forward. The last thing you want to do is move the wing back more than 5.5" from the front tip of the fuselage stick. 6" would be the limit before the model starts flying bad.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2009, 09:15 AM
Night flier
United Kingdom, England, Bromyard
Joined Mar 2008
837 Posts
Could some1 tell me wot the wing chord is from leading to trailing edge please of the SSX wing. Trying to figure out if i can use wing to make a UAV with it. The foam wing isnt strong enough. Thanks
austin.laws is offline Find More Posts by austin.laws
Old Sep 25, 2009, 09:32 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.laws
Could some1 tell me wot the wing chord is from leading to trailing edge please of the SSX wing. Trying to figure out if i can use wing to make a UAV with it. The foam wing isnt strong enough. Thanks
The wing cord is 12" several others have used this as a UAV.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2009, 06:43 AM
Night flier
United Kingdom, England, Bromyard
Joined Mar 2008
837 Posts
Quote:
The wing cord is 12" several others have used this as a UAV.

James
Ok thats gr8,which is the fastest delivery to the U.K? I was goin 4 either Priority internation or First class internation? Which should i choose when i order on tuesday? Thanks again.
austin.laws is offline Find More Posts by austin.laws
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:48 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.laws
Ok thats gr8,which is the fastest delivery to the U.K? I was goin 4 either Priority internation or First class internation? Which should i choose when i order on tuesday? Thanks again.
Karen is working on a quote for you. The only affordable way to ship it is USPS Priority Mail International.
RCG Plus Member