HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:48 AM
Joined Jul 2009
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy
Is your real name Edward Scissorhands?
I'm just rough on things I guess... I don't even wear a wrist watch, I usually break the strap within a month.
dakota2112 is offline Find More Posts by dakota2112
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:20 AM
It's gone...
Joined Aug 2004
5,139 Posts
I used the bands James supplied, did not soak my deck with CA and haven't had any problems.

The bands are tight but not too tight. Before I put them on I stretch them out by pulling on them with my thumbs. This makes the bands a little looser and makes it easier to put the bands on. I go from the trailing edge to leading edge when putting them on.

Take them off in reverse order. to get a hold of the band I grab it from the middle of the band, pull toward the leading edge, unhook it and then move to the trailing edge where I unhook it.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:38 AM
Joined Jul 2009
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_
I used the bands James supplied, did not soak my deck with CA and haven't had any problems.

The bands are tight but not too tight. Before I put them on I stretch them out by pulling on them with my thumbs. This makes the bands a little looser and makes it easier to put the bands on. I go from the trailing edge to leading edge when putting them on.

Take them off in reverse order. to get a hold of the band I grab it from the middle of the band, pull toward the leading edge, unhook it and then move to the trailing edge where I unhook it.
That's about how I do it. Sounds like I've got the right idea, I just need to use some finesse. Which is ironic, because I'm a guitar player. Or maybe that's the problem!
dakota2112 is offline Find More Posts by dakota2112
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:11 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota2112
That's about how I do it. Sounds like I've got the right idea, I just need to use some finesse. Which is ironic, because I'm a guitar player. Or maybe that's the problem!
Oh, hey. use 8 bands. 4 is not enough.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:26 AM
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2007
923 Posts
OK, I tried searching for this info, but I can't find it. I just built the wing, and when I dry fitted to the stock wing saddles, the wing did not make contact with both saddles, because the center wing spar contacts the fuselage. I double checked all the joints, and it looks like I assembled the wing properly. What is going on? Should I post a photo?
Mr._Mulligan is offline Find More Posts by Mr._Mulligan
Old Aug 16, 2009, 08:40 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Mulligan
OK, I tried searching for this info, but I can't find it. I just built the wing, and when I dry fitted to the stock wing saddles, the wing did not make contact with both saddles, because the center wing spar contacts the fuselage. I double checked all the joints, and it looks like I assembled the wing properly. What is going on?

Should I post a photo?
Yes, a Photo will help
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:08 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
OK, I tried searching for this info, but I can't find it. I just built the wing, and when I dry fitted to the stock wing saddles, the wing did not make contact with both saddles, because the center wing spar contacts the fuselage. I double checked all the joints, and it looks like I assembled the wing properly. What is going on? Should I post a photo?
Please read step 18 and see figure 17 and 18 of the manual. You need to trim the spar so it does not hit the fuselage. You only need to trim enough to clear the fuselage.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2009, 01:30 PM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,414 Posts
I flew mine this morning for the first time. while it flew alright, I noticed the ESC was cutting out. Too much prop! Was using a Himaxx 2025/4200 w/gearbox but upon landing I found the spur gear worn down. so now I'm going to use a Waypoint 2215-18 outrunner instead. Keep the amps down to where the E Flight 20 ESC won't cut off. I don't really like the E-Flight speed controls but sinve I've got this one I'll use it.
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Aug 16, 2009, 04:28 PM
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2007
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy
Please read step 18 and see figure 17 and 18 of the manual. You need to trim the spar so it does not hit the fuselage. You only need to trim enough to clear the fuselage.

James
Thanks, James. Somehow I missed that little detail. I thought about notching the spar, but I figured it would be weakened too much.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 06:56 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, James. Somehow I missed that little detail. I thought about notching the spar, but I figured it would be weakened too much.
No it does not weaken it. The spar brace "P1" is all the strength in the center of the wing. as long as the spar caps are glued to P1 you should be fine.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2009, 02:02 AM
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2007
923 Posts
Ok, thanks for the help.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 10:33 PM
The tattoo guy
USA, MN, St Paul
Joined Jun 2009
614 Posts
Are you still selling the X-gear?
Your website comes up all funky on my browser. (firefox)

I did order a set off of Ebay, but he hardly answers e-mails.
I ordered 4 of them, 3 black and one yellow.

He sent me 4 black ones.
I re-ordered the yellow one, and have not received them yet.
Or a reply from my e-mails.
He said he sent them over a week ago..

Jkarpy, Are you the one selling them on EBay?
Greasetattoo is offline Find More Posts by Greasetattoo
Old Sep 01, 2009, 10:45 PM
The tattoo guy
USA, MN, St Paul
Joined Jun 2009
614 Posts
Your website is ok now..
I switched my Display to 96dpi...

Still wondering about my paid for yellow X-gear...
Greasetattoo is offline Find More Posts by Greasetattoo
Old Sep 01, 2009, 10:57 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasetattoo
Your website is ok now..
I switched my Display to 96dpi...

Still wondering about my paid for yellow X-gear...
I am not the one selling them on eBay. The is one of my dealers.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2009, 02:44 PM
Digitally modulated
Florida
Joined Jan 2007
397 Posts
I finished my SSX last night and wanted to fly it today, but it ended up being very tail heavy. It's shown in the picture with the wing leading edge being ~6" from the front fuselage. I would have to move the wing back another 3" for it to balance properly (at which point it looks a bit silly and probably wouldn't fly that well).

This was my first wood / plastic covered model, so I might have used the too much CA glue, and the wrong type of covering. I used transparent red Monokote which I've read is heavier than the recommended solite/microlite, but at the time I didn't think it would make much difference. I don't have a scale to weigh the tail section but I will probably buy one this week. How much should the tail section weigh anyway?

And are there any other suggestions for getting it to balance properly?
Neil_J is offline Find More Posts by Neil_J