HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2009, 12:52 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Thanks James.

I finished putting together a set of x-gear tonight to bring my old slow stick back to life and the build went quick following your directions. X-fuse parts are going on with a tail steer kit. My tower pro motor might still work, but I may just throw this motor on to try. If the plane survives teaching my friend to fly, the wing kit with ailerons will be next!
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2009, 09:12 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
It should since that page shows photos of it in the GWS mount. I haven't tried it, but from its size and the photos on that page, I would have to say it is highly likely it will.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:11 AM
Joined Jul 2009
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy
If I had a choice, I would use the BP 2212-13. It is cheaper and I get longer flights than with the park 450 with plenty of vertical power. Plus the E-flite motor is more than twice the price.
I maiden'd my SSX over the weekend with the BP 2212-13 motor. I agree, this motor is a good match for this airplane! Using the Thunder Power 1320 LiPo, I am getting 13-15 minute flights, and it will climb on demand.

Maybe after a while I might change my mind, but for now I think this is plenty of motor. I would actually be hesitant to subject the airplane to the stress of a more powerful motor, but I tend to be on the conservative side when it comes to that.

As for the airplane itself - I think it flies even better than the RealFlight model. My SSX is balanced exactly on the spar, and I am not exagerrating when I say the thing can land itself. Come in on approach, cut the power, and the thing just floats right in. The RealFlight model tends to require some persuasion to keep from porpoising during landing, maybe its balance is a little tailheavy? In any case, my brand new SSX is a dream to fly, landings included. Great airplane, Mr. Karpy!
dakota2112 is offline Find More Posts by dakota2112
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:07 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota2112
I maiden'd my SSX over the weekend with the BP 2212-13 motor. I agree, this motor is a good match for this airplane! Using the Thunder Power 1320 LiPo, I am getting 13-15 minute flights, and it will climb on demand.

Maybe after a while I might change my mind, but for now I think this is plenty of motor. I would actually be hesitant to subject the airplane to the stress of a more powerful motor, but I tend to be on the conservative side when it comes to that.

As for the airplane itself - I think it flies even better than the RealFlight model. My SSX is balanced exactly on the spar, and I am not exagerrating when I say the thing can land itself. Come in on approach, cut the power, and the thing just floats right in. The RealFlight model tends to require some persuasion to keep from porpoising during landing, maybe its balance is a little tailheavy? In any case, my brand new SSX is a dream to fly, landings included. Great airplane, Mr. Karpy!
Thanks for the great feedback, I am glad you are enjoying the SSX. I think as you progress with this model and want to do more aerobatics, you will want to move the CG back. You should be able to invert the plane and have the sticks be neutral. If the model tends to dive and you need a lot of down elevator when inverted, you will need to move the CG back.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:46 PM
Joined Jul 2009
26 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the great feedback, I am glad you are enjoying the SSX. I think as you progress with this model and want to do more aerobatics, you will want to move the CG back. You should be able to invert the plane and have the sticks be neutral. If the model tends to dive and you need a lot of down elevator when inverted, you will need to move the CG back.

James
I balanced the airplane with the battery/ESC located directly inbetween the motor mount and the front wing saddle, to allow for some wiggle room to move the CG in either direction. (the X-Gear is mounted immediately behind the front wing saddle, and I don't want to move it back any further)

It'll fly inverted with very little, if any, down elevator. And it'll do pretty tight outside loops. So far I have a good balance between stability and maneuverability.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 08:41 AM
Joined Jul 2009
26 Posts
rubber bands

Is there a trick to removing the wing rubber bands? I've never had a rubberbanded wing before and I am so afraid of damaging the wing trying to remove them. I even cringe when putting the bands on, it seems like they're so tight that I'm afraid of crushing the sheeting. But removing them is worse, and I'm contemplating just cutting them off instead of trying to remove them one by one. I know that sounds crazy but I think I've already cracked the leading edge in one place during band removal. I am using the rubber bands that came with the airplane, but I purchased a whole bag of the same size bands so it's a renewable resource.

I'm only using 4 bands too. I read where someone is using 8. I can't even imagine asking the wing to endure 8 of those things being stretched tight across it. If it were me, I'm sure I'd destroy the wing in short order fumbling around trying to use 8 bands on there!

Anyways, any suggestions?

By the way, I managed an 18.5 minute flight last night on the BP 2212-13/thunder power pro-lite 1350/10x4.7
Old Aug 12, 2009, 09:23 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Is there a trick to removing the wing rubber bands? I've never had a rubberbanded wing before and I am so afraid of damaging the wing trying to remove them. I even cringe when putting the bands on, it seems like they're so tight that I'm afraid of crushing the sheeting. But removing them is worse, and I'm contemplating just cutting them off instead of trying to remove them one by one. I know that sounds crazy but I think I've already cracked the leading edge in one place during band removal. I am using the rubber bands that came with the airplane, but I purchased a whole bag of the same size bands so it's a renewable resource.

I'm only using 4 bands too. I read where someone is using 8. I can't even imagine asking the wing to endure 8 of those things being stretched tight across it. If it were me, I'm sure I'd destroy the wing in short order fumbling around trying to use 8 bands on there!

By the way, I managed an 18.5 minute flight last night on the BP 2212-13/thunder power pro-lite 1350/10x4.7
I don't understand your issue with rubber bands and putting them on and off?

The wing assembly is not that weak nor fragile and I should know because I have crashed mine on two occasions and pretty hard in fact.

Take a look at this post a year ago or so.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=960

To keep my model light, I use the smaller rubber bands and been known to double up on them. Also, early on I have cut some hollow Aluminum tubing and glued them on to the black Plastic Slow Stick hardware that holds the wing rubber bands and I have attached a picture so, you can see. This method is very carefree of installing and removing any rubber bands.

Hope this helps!
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:15 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
I don't understand your issue with rubber bands and putting them on and off?

The wing assembly is not that weak nor fragile and I should know because I have crashed mine on two occasions and pretty hard in fact.

Take a look at this post a year ago or so.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=960

To keep my model light, I use the smaller rubber bands and been known to double up on them. Also, early on I have cut some hollow Aluminum tubing and glued them on to the black Plastic Slow Stick hardware that holds the wing rubber bands and I have attached a picture so, you can see. This method is very carefree of installing and removing any rubber bands.

Hope this helps!
Carlos

Hi Carlos, The rubber band post extenders are not needed any longer. My new plastic has better rubber band hooks. I will have to hook you up.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:16 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Hi Carlos, The rubber band post extenders are not needed any longer. My new plastic has better rubber band hooks. I will have to hook you up.

James

Thanks James! Can't wait to get your "new" and "Improved" plastic hardware for my 2nd Slow Stick-X! You know, that wing that still needs covering from way way back!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:17 AM
Joined Jul 2009
26 Posts
I do have the post extenders CA'd on, which helps. When I say I cracked the leading edge, what happened is I cracked the leading edge sheeting inbetween the ribs just outside the center wing section while fighting with the rubber bands. I'm not saying this is a flaw with the SSX wing; what I'm saying is I need to learn how to handle these rubberbands without destroying the airplane

Do you use a tool such as hemostats or tiny needlenose pliers or something to get the bands off? Or do you just grab them with your fingers? That's where I struggle, trying to get ahold of those rubber bands without poking a hole in the wing, or breaking a rib or sheeting, etc.

Also, I am taking the bands off every time when I'm done flying for the day, to avoid storing the airplane with the wing under stress. We're not supposed to just leave the bands on are we?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:19 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:

I soak my deck wood with thin CA so it can stand up to the bands better. The best way to remove the bands is to start with the last one on. Pull it up in the middle. slide your finger to the front hook. Pull the band off the hook and hold it back to the center of the wing.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:23 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
dakota,

I leave mine Slow Stick-X on a PVC pipe shelving with the wing ON and rubber bands holding and I have never had any issues?

I do not need any special tools to place the rubber bands ON, just hook one end to the post and gently pull up and over and attach the other end. I am not in the least creating any undue pressure on any rib nor crushing anything!

This model does not require any Super Large Rubber Bands such as "a" Glow Trainer model that is perhaps 6lbs.

I use small rubber bands and double up on them to provide the needed length so as not to have too much tension and to keep the wing in place I use at least six rudder band strands.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:35 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
dakota,

I leave mine Slow Stick-X on a PVC pipe shelving with the wing ON and rubber bands holding and I have never had any issues?

I do not need any special tools to place the rubber bands ON, just hook one end to the post and gently pull up and over and attach the other end. I am not in the least creating any undue pressure on any rib nor crushing anything!

This model does not require any Super Large Rubber Bands such as "a" Glow Trainer model that is perhaps 6lbs.

I use small rubber bands and double up on them to provide the needed length so as not to have too much tension and to keep the wing in place I use at least six rudder band strands.
The SSX kit and ARF come with #33 bands.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:40 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
I do have the post extenders CA'd on, which helps. When I say I cracked the leading edge, what happened is I cracked the leading edge sheeting inbetween the ribs just outside the center wing section while fighting with the rubber bands. I'm not saying this is a flaw with the SSX wing; what I'm saying is I need to learn how to handle these rubberbands without destroying the airplane

Do you use a tool such as hemostats or tiny needlenose pliers or something to get the bands off? Or do you just grab them with your fingers? That's where I struggle, trying to get ahold of those rubber bands without poking a hole in the wing, or breaking a rib or sheeting, etc.

Also, I am taking the bands off every time when I'm done flying for the day, to avoid storing the airplane with the wing under stress. We're not supposed to just leave the bands on are we?
Is your real name Edward Scissorhands?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:46 AM
Joined Jul 2009
26 Posts
I did have the foresight to soak the center sheeting w/ thin CA for this very purpose

I wonder if my ARF came with the wrong size rubberbands? I have to stretch them almost to their elastic limit to put them on. But like I said I've never had a rubberbanded wing before so this might just be part of the learning curve