Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 03, 2002, 05:04 AM
Get a brian, moron!
London, UK
Joined Apr 2002
149 Posts
Power for Kyosho F16 (NOT brushless!)

I picked up a 2nd hand Kyosho F16 at the clubs swapmeet yesterday. It was 30 ($45?) with edf and stock (I think) motor.
I have been reading threads about people saying it was underpowered and I was wandering what 10 cells would do for it. Would they burn out the motor? I cannot afford to upgrade to brushless but I want to get the best performance I can out of it
Cheers
P.S. There seems to be a hole in the bottom of the fuz, before the fan about 2 1/2 by 5 inches. Is this for extra air intake or is it missing a hatch? If it's missing a hatch is it ok to patch it up covering film?
Cheers once again
Zephyr is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr
Last edited by Zephyr; Oct 03, 2002 at 06:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2002, 05:18 AM
Oxford, MS
Joined Apr 2002
1,134 Posts
It's not really underpowered unless you want jet like performance. It'll loop from a slight dive and do rolls. Which is about the acrobatic limit on most EDF's I've seen. There's an article about it on the Ezone you should check it out. The trick with the stock system is to keep the weight down to make up for the lack in power. If your new to EDF's stock should be plenty.
Hopperfly22 is offline Find More Posts by Hopperfly22
Old Oct 03, 2002, 09:53 AM
Aylesbury,UK
Joined Apr 2000
975 Posts
Mine is powered by a Plettenberg 200-25-4 on 10 CP1700's and goes very well. I am using a Minifan in mine, but you can use the 200-25-4 in the Kyosho fan. I think you are supposed to use it on 8 cells in the Kyo fan, i didn't think it was much better and tried 9 cells (RC2000's) and it was much better. You can probably get away with 10, but i wouldn't if you like going flat out the whole flight. I am using a Jeti 50A controller to give some margin on the current. Some people have used the 200-20-6 in the Kyo fan on ten cells but that is straining the motor a lot imo, and it is hardly much cheaper than the 200-25-4.
Stuey is online now Find More Posts by Stuey
Old Oct 03, 2002, 09:57 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,926 Posts
Use 8 or 9 CP1700 packs. Make sure you get CP cells not the full size sub C cells, CP 1700s are the same diameter as sub C cells but not as tall. You'll probably have to order them on the net, most hobby shops look at you funny when you ask for them, you might as well ask for a 5 oz container of antimatter. Order from www.eflightpacks.com or other sites.

I tried 10 cells on my T-33, no noticeable difference. From 8 to 9 cells there was an increase in performance.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Oct 03, 2002, 11:51 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
I also bought a Kyosho F-16 second hand last year- you got a real bargain at that price mine was more than twice that (with four servos). On the stock motor and fan and with 8x2400RC cells it was pretty gutless. It would fly okay from a handlauch but had no reserve of power, climbed slowly and couldn't manage a loop from level flight. I flew her in that configuration several times, and tried 8xCP1700s as well, hoping that the weight difference would improve the performance, which it didn't.

Following a prompt from a fellow UK ezoner I tried using 10xCP1700's and she really flies much better on that pack. The battery pack does get quite warm after a flight, but I've been very pleased with the increased performance, no problems with having enough power for loops now.

I'd been warned about the longevity of the AP29 on 10 cells and sure enough after a few flights with 10 cells I've started to get an occasional glitch, which I've put down to the brushes on the AP29 starting to get a bit worn and probably sparking. I might replace that, as I do have a spare somewhere, but I'm more likely to go for the upgrade to brushless, having seen a couple of the Ky F-16s at the fly-ins fitted with the Kontronics motors and Mini Fans that go very well. It would be a shame to kill the model due to interference from a dying motor.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 03, 2002, 11:53 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
Sounds like you are missing a hatch. If I get a chance later I'll draw round the one on my model and scan it for you. It's just a piece of plastic card and would be dead easy to replicate.

Brian
Old Oct 03, 2002, 01:18 PM
Get a brian, moron!
London, UK
Joined Apr 2002
149 Posts
Thanks for all the help

Thanks for all the help...
but... ( )
Stuey- I'm sorry I'm so stupid but what do all your numbers mean? eg 200-25-4
What motor should I replace the AP29 with if it does start glitching, another one of the same? (Not brushlees, I don't have the cash being only 16)
Cheers
P.S. Thanks for the offer of the hatch scan, it would be useful
Old Oct 03, 2002, 01:31 PM
London
Joined Jul 2001
1,034 Posts
Hey guys, would a kwik-e like setup be good in the KY F-16?
6 or 7 cells with an endo or higher reving atomic force?
how you meant to access the motor on that model anyway?

Pete
Peter W is offline Find More Posts by Peter W
Last edited by Peter W; Oct 03, 2002 at 01:43 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2002, 02:04 PM
mid west
Joined Jan 2002
668 Posts
Has anyone tryed mpi 11t cobalt? in the Ky fan on 9 to 10 cells 1700?
Ductedfann is offline Find More Posts by Ductedfann
Old Oct 03, 2002, 02:26 PM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
lose weight to fly great

There are some 1700aup Nimh cells available from Diversity models that will likely fly this plane. They allegedly can put out 25 amps. I think they are about an ounce a cell, or 28 grams if you prefer. I would go with 9 cells because, hey, who wants to be divisible by two anyway! The voltage on Nimh drops at high amp discharge levels. I dunno about the ap 29 bb, but I bought a couple of Cosmotech 480 bb motors that allegedly are the same. At the price of $25 U.S. you could probably afford to smoke one occasionally.
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old Oct 03, 2002, 02:52 PM
Get a brian, moron!
London, UK
Joined Apr 2002
149 Posts
Also...

What do I do with the control surfaces. Is aileron elevator ok, or should I just use elevons on the tail unt? Or could I use double elevons, eg elevons in wing and tail?
What about flaperons?
Is it possible to put a rudder in? anyone done this?

Also, could I have some more info on the hole in the bottom of the fuse, one guy on a previous thread said "I also bumped into a guy who had left the cover off the bottom whilst flying and he said it gave more power to the engine (more air-flow I imagine) but increased the noise noticably." What do people think?

Cheers
Last edited by Zephyr; Oct 03, 2002 at 03:05 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2002, 04:17 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
Zephyr

I realised how daft an idea the hatch scan was when I went and looked at the model It's just a simple rectagular plastic hatch 3.5x4.5 inches in size with rounded corner and it's actual shape is completely irrelevant. Doh!

I hadn't heard of using the cheater hole in this particular model.

As regards controls mine is set up as standard with elevators and ailerons, there have been many posts in this forum about using tailerons and ailivators. Also a chap called Bob Blackburn had a KyF-16 "pusher" at the York fly-in that had a mechanical linkage between the ailron and elevator. There will be some pictures of the linkage in my York/Chester ezone report when it is published on Ezone some time soon.

cheers

Brian
Old May 27, 2005, 05:25 PM
UK, Greater Manchester, Manchester
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
I was that man!

I had a 540 buggy motor on the back with a 6x4 pusher drawing 30 amps
19 turn I think
2 servos doing aileron/elevons
It's nice to see someone noticed 8-)

Consecutive loops were easy!
The plane is about to fly again as someone has prised it out of my hangar
and re-commisioned it.
Still in pusher mode.

It was possible to self launch while holding transmitter and throwing it myself.
Bob Blackburn is offline Find More Posts by Bob Blackburn
Old May 27, 2005, 05:33 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
Hi Bob

Talk about a blast from the past!

Going to Blackpool on Sunday?
Old May 27, 2005, 05:35 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
possible battery pack selection

I was guided to but never used Sanyo 1950's http://www.dynamoelectrics.com/detail.aspx?ID=572
These are high output cells and would work.
I ended up going brushless and just used a 3 cell lipo pack in mine. But I now have a Wemotec 609 fan which is a much better fan but much more expensive to power. I'm going to use a Mega 22/20/2 and a Hacker Opto 40amp controller with a UBEC.
Good luck-Scott
speleopower is offline Find More Posts by speleopower