HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2007, 05:32 PM
Offical Lightpole Magnet
Whidbey Island, WA.
Joined Feb 2007
777 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone Typhoon....to buy or not to buy?

Hi all, new around here...

I've looked up a few threads about the Parkzone Typhoon but I wanted to ask some questions.

I'm looking at getting into 3-D flying, I've been flying electrics for about three years now...started on a GWS Pico Stick D then got a GWS Tiger Moth 400, a GWS Zero and have graduated to my GWS A-10. They are all stock, geared brushed motors and NIMH batteries. I'm not a "die hard" flier, just a recreational flyer...don't get into lipos, thrust ratios, and all the complicated stuff. I just want something that is fun to fly and flies well....

...anyway like I said, I want to get something that is 3-D capable...something that is a bit faster than my A-10, something that can vertical pretty good and I don't want to spend a lot. I'm looking at the Parkzone Typhoon because it comes in one package and is ready to fly out of the box and I like how it's brushless.

I've read a lot about stripped servos and loose covering, have those issues been fixed in new lots or is it pretty much the same? Is this thing worth the money? Thanks for any replys.
Splat762 is offline Find More Posts by Splat762
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:19 AM
Offical Lightpole Magnet
Whidbey Island, WA.
Joined Feb 2007
777 Posts
Aw come on guys, nothing?

Someone has to have an opinion out there for me on this bird, it's a lot of money and I don't want to drop the dough if it's not worth is. Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:26 AM
Wind Rider
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2006
986 Posts
I'll let you know in about a week when I maiden mine!

I bought it after seeing so many videos and loving the way it flew in them. Are the issues I've heard of? Yes, but there usually is in most planes.

Check Ebay - there are a few RR versions on there last time I looked!

I'm looking forward to this plane!

Take care,
Mike
eagleswings is offline Find More Posts by eagleswings
Old Feb 23, 2007, 06:33 PM
North Carolina
Joined May 2005
9 Posts
Splat,
I've been flying the Typhoon for quite a while. It is a great airplane and the Parkzone customer service is second to none. I'm on my second Typhoon. I bought the first one when they first came out. This is the plane I used to learn 3D maneuvers, so the first one suffered quite a few blows on those unintended landings.

Problems:

Stripped servos. Yes, the servos are not as high quality as others commonly used, such as the HS-81 which is a direct replacement. However, the problem is really a very stiff elevator giving the servos too much resistance. The problem is solved by making sure the elevator is very loose. I actually cut the plastic holding the elevator and replaced it with hinge tape. I've been flying my second Typhoon for a few months still using the original servos.

Loose wing covering. That is true. However, a little heat applied (very carefully) with a heat gun fixed the problem for me. Actually had to do it a second time since on a very hot day it kind of got a little loose again.

I use 3S 11.1V 2100 mah li-po's and Spektrum DX6 TX/EX. It's a great combination.

If something happened to my second Typhoon, I would be purchasing a third one right away.

Hope this helps.

Jmir
Jmir is offline Find More Posts by Jmir
Old Feb 23, 2007, 08:28 PM
Gamma
Newbury Park, CA
Joined Dec 2004
296 Posts
Hi Splat:

I would really recommend an AirfoilZ Yak-54. Depending on how you set it up it will be a good trainer for 3D, or a wild ride. They are one rugged bird, I know. Also great people and service.

Gamma
Gamma is offline Find More Posts by Gamma
Old Feb 23, 2007, 09:31 PM
You land foamies?!
Livonia, Michigan
Joined Feb 2007
431 Posts
The typhoon is a great plane, you'll love it.
VictoryRoll-91 is offline Find More Posts by VictoryRoll-91
Old Feb 23, 2007, 09:34 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,060 Posts
I love my Typhoon.I wouldnt buy it if you dont want to go lipo.The lipos make a BIG difference.I have been flying a Ty for 2 years.I'm on my third one and would buy another if this went down. The loose covering is not a issue for me. Most of the servo problems are with the elevator and I think its from hard landings and being bumped when loading in the car ect.If you crash you better check them out before you fly again.
Dragon 2 is online now Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Old Feb 23, 2007, 09:56 PM
Joined Dec 2006
11 Posts
The typhoon is a great bird. I got mine for christmas and had it flying in a little over an hour after opening the box. It will be a fast flyer compared to the other planes you have flown and can be a handful at times due to the fact that it likes to dart around. Still once you get a few flights on it you get used to the tendencies and it flys just as well as anything else like it. The semetrical wing allows for inverted flight and the large control surfaces help it do all the 3D moves you can throw at it. I fly mine on the included NimH batteries and am getting about 6-7 minutes of flight. I think that they offer enough power and will fit your style of flying without the added hastle of changing plugs, getting a new charger etc. Don't complicate it, just go out and fly! All 3D flying is capable. Hovers are hard to hold steady for long though since the typhoon likes to roll out of them. Be careful of landings too since at slow approach speeds the ty likes to drop fast. Just fly it all the way in and you wont have a problem. Even with a number of nose-ins and hard landings mine is still going strong. VERY tough plane, great for beginning 3D without the expense if a mishap occurs. I think the servos could potentially be a problem although nothing ever happened in my case. I did end up changing the rudder and elevator servos just to be safe. Apparently though Parkzone will replace/fix anything that happens as a result of a failure in their product if you send it in. Can't say much more. Hope this helps your decision.
eagle22 is offline Find More Posts by eagle22
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:05 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,060 Posts
Lipos

Lipos will get you 20 minutes of fly time and much more power.Mine will barely fly on the NIMh battery, but I live at 6000ft above sea level.
Dragon 2 is online now Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:06 PM
Yankin' and Bankin'!
Bella Vista, AR
Joined Oct 2004
570 Posts
Get it, use 3S 2150 lipo, and smaller prop. Staying with NiMH? Use the slowfly prop.
r1derbike is offline Find More Posts by r1derbike
Old Feb 26, 2007, 09:57 AM
Offical Lightpole Magnet
Whidbey Island, WA.
Joined Feb 2007
777 Posts
Wow, thanks guys...I let this thread go for a couple of days and popped back in and loved the info you guys put out.

I'm going to go ahead and get one and will eventually go lipo, but for now I'll be flying it stock...I'm at sea level so I should be okay.

I had one in my hands when I was at my LHS the other day but put it back as the wife was eyeballing the price-tag...lol. Oh well, my birthday is coming up...good excuse right? She has a solid hint now.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:20 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
Friend of mine at work has been flying one for a while and its an awesome flying airplane--he simply changed out the rudder and elevator servo with a Hs 81 MG.

I've flown his on lunch breaks and its a great beginner 3d ship that is pretty durable. I've seen him cart wheel his--go over--preflight and send her back up for more! Theres a guy on here who was making fiberglass cowls for it---well worth the investment--its all I've seen my friend replace.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Feb 26, 2007, 03:17 PM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle22
Hovers are hard to hold steady for long though since the typhoon likes to roll out of them.
Do you mean it falls over to one side ? If so, more than likely you just need some more rudder throw.
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Old Feb 26, 2007, 06:38 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
Sorry I am a bit late on this one... ...but I totally agree with these guys. Awsome plane!

I use lipos and my own radio, but it is a solid unit that takes some punishment.

You'll love it!

Have Fun!
Andy
I.C.O.N. is offline Find More Posts by I.C.O.N.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 08:48 PM
Paul Teesalu
Goleta, CA
Joined Aug 2006
253 Posts
yes its a nice airplane. It flys nice 3D except for hoveres, it wants to fall on side ( i have full rudder throw) and my cg is back too. I can hover all my other planes except this one. Still. You will love it.

Paul
ss2p is offline Find More Posts by ss2p