SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2007, 01:10 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
264 Posts
Discussion
Spitfire Experts Mk. V, Mk. IX scale differences

Hi Everyone

Ive got a very nice spitfire Mk IX kit that I am considering building as a Mk V. I know that there is a fair amount of difference between the two from the leading edge of the wing forward. (Longer motor mount, different shape cowl, different exhausts, number of propeller blades, etc) But my question is just how much difference is there from the leading edge back to the tail? Is the rear fuselage the same? Is the wing (minus differences from armament and the under wing radiators) the same shape and size?

I would be prepared to go ahead and make this conversion if most of the scale changes were to the front fuselage. Knowing full well that getting the model with a shorter nose to balance would be a challenge. But if the wing and rear fuselage also required drastic changes then I might have to rethink the whole idea.

Thanks for your help.

Jim Connell
Jim Connell is offline Find More Posts by Jim Connell
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2007, 07:58 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
709 Posts
Hi Jim,

Check out this link: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/52/9/5

Many Mk V pictures.

Joe
JoeMamma is offline Find More Posts by JoeMamma
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:55 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,605 Posts
Been doing a little looking lately b/c I want to make my replacement GWS Spit a Mk IX. When the FW 190 appeared the Mk V's took a pasting. Supermarine was working on a Mk VIII, but as a stopgap measure, they took Mk V airframes and replaced the Merlin XX series engine with a Merlin 61. About the same hp for takeoff, but a two-stage blower and much better performance at altitude. So early Mk IX's were just re-engined Mk V's, all the changes were from the firewall forwards. Later Mk IX's, with the Merlin 63 had a lot more power and adopted the Mk VIII rudder (pointy tip, wider chord). FWIW. Have fun, Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:14 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Connell
Hi Everyone

Ive got a very nice spitfire Mk IX kit that I am considering building as a Mk V. I know that there is a fair amount of difference between the two from the leading edge of the wing forward. (Longer motor mount, different shape cowl, different exhausts, number of propeller blades, etc) But my question is just how much difference is there from the leading edge back to the tail? Is the rear fuselage the same? Is the wing (minus differences from armament and the under wing radiators) the same shape and size?

Jim Connell
Jim

The aft fuselage has no external differences between the two Mks. The elevator/stab shape is slightly different between the two, the Mk 5 had a smaller elevator balance out at the tip, but the planform of the whole tailplane was the same.

The rudder shapes were the same for a while, but Later Mk9's had a broad chord rudder.

The canopy between the two can be drastically different or exactly the same, depending on the lineage. Early Mk5's had external armor windshields, the MK 9's internal. The mid-term Mk5's had a flat sided slider, the later ones adopted the "bulged" sliding portion as did the Mk9's.
That's all I can think of at the moment, maybe something else will hit me.

The wing as you said, other than armourment and the radiator changes was exactly the same planform right though many of the Griffon engine models. I believe it was the Mk21 that first saw the wing planform change.

Tom Hunt
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt