SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:42 PM
I make this look hard!!!!
Greenville, WI
Joined Jan 2007
70 Posts
Lenny - The Stingray/Shuttle combo look great. What a great idea for a glider. I am not sure which is cooler...The Shuttle or the BEER TAP IN THE KITCHEN!!!
gtche98 is offline Find More Posts by gtche98
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2007, 12:06 AM
where are our jetpacks!
Ballarat
Joined Sep 2005
244 Posts
beer tap!!!!
lenniegordo is offline Find More Posts by lenniegordo
Old Jul 31, 2007, 02:20 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,935 Posts
Thank you lenniegordo for great plans and instuctions.

I started my own FFF modified version last night. I'll post pics when I'm done.
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Aug 01, 2007, 08:59 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,935 Posts
Here she is...

She's a great low/slow/close-in plane. I have a problem with wing rigidity though. On maiden last night I lost control three times...all in high speed glide dives.

1) Pulled-out of it and regained control 3 feet off the deck.
2) It did crash...but barely. Slightly dented corner on nose.
3) Coming straight for me from 200ft, no control, pulling back on the stick...as it gets closer, I am just about to jump aside as it plows into the ground where I'm standing...I see the wings oscillating horribly...like a bird on coffee flapping its wings. Just before it hits the ground, it lost enough speed for the oscillation to stop and she responded and pulled up at the last second.

Time to add two more CF spars along the leading edges to make a huge triangle. That should help. (I'll report back).

Thanks again lenniegordo for the plans and inspiration. This plane has great lines!

Update: I added a KFm airfoil on the bottom with new spars behind. That fixed my rigidity problems. The wings don't freak-out going fast like they did.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by T3chDad; Aug 02, 2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2007, 06:23 PM
where are our jetpacks!
Ballarat
Joined Sep 2005
244 Posts
cool T3chDad, I'm interested to know why you opted not to do the fold wing?
Old Aug 03, 2007, 08:08 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,935 Posts
I was lazy...plus I wasn't sure how it would work out with the FFF. I'm folding the next one.

Now that's I've solved my wing oscillation with the KFm airfoil, she's a great aircraft.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Aug 19, 2007, 04:26 PM
Crazy, not stupid
Zwolle, The Netherlands
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
Hey,

This morning I was a bit bored so I built myself a stingray - well, sort of. More like a testray. Ugly as ****, holes in it from the hotglue, servo's glued to the surface, rc taped to the body.. Well, yuk! But.. She flew! And she flew well.. Tomorrow I'm going to build the next one and make it more carefully. Great plans, great plane, great fun! I made a few ajustments, tomorrow I'll make some pictures and post them here..

see ya!
sadkingbilly is offline Find More Posts by sadkingbilly
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:22 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Mar 2006
438 Posts
Where do i get the cd rom motor you used?

Andrew
andrewtexas123 is offline Find More Posts by andrewtexas123
Old Aug 25, 2007, 01:40 AM
where are our jetpacks!
Ballarat
Joined Sep 2005
244 Posts
sadkingbilly that's cool. I just made an new test ray too

I made a 75% scale with with the fins on the wings and a full symmetrical wing. I'd post pics but I can't find my camera cable.

Anyway it worked a treat! better than any other stingray I have made... albeit a little more to handle than the full size stingray. Notably the roll rate is much higher due to the fins being on the wingtips rather than in the center.

When I put pics up you'll see how I made the wing more symmetrical - two small cuts from the inner leading edge back to the carbon fiber rod, allowing the wing leading edge to lift up, thereby making the aerofoil more symmetrical. By doing that the stingray now turns on a dime, literally stopping mid-air with full back elevator.

Will post pics soon.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 01:34 AM
Türkiye
Joined Jun 2007
203 Posts
Here is mine:

I added winglets, don't know if these helped for stability, but it flies very well. This is my first aircraft model. Here is the video of the maiden flight, not the best quality but shows how stable the model is in the air. It required just minor trim changes.
Stingray (1 min 23 sec)

Thanks for the plans lenniegordo.
KaanX is offline Find More Posts by KaanX
Old Sep 26, 2007, 04:21 AM
where are our jetpacks!
Ballarat
Joined Sep 2005
244 Posts
Wow! good to see that the plain flew well.
and good to here that it's your first build and that it all went fine.

I know I promised pics of my 75% stingray (also I will be updating the plans and build instructions soon maybe next week)
Old Sep 26, 2007, 03:38 PM
Huh?! well waddayouknow!?
Slackramento ,CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,420 Posts
Ive built 3 of theese now and impressed the local field flyers old and young w/this versatile flyer. whatever my mood the stingray is ready to satisfy. wish i could get the wife to perform as such .tee hee.
Danjuan is offline Find More Posts by Danjuan
Old Sep 27, 2007, 05:05 AM
where are our jetpacks!
Ballarat
Joined Sep 2005
244 Posts
yes she will do anything you want.... lol.
last week I was fooling around with vertical landings (hold full up elevator and mix the power so the she comes strait down to Flop on the ground). when I thought to my self - I should be able to do that inverted! and well as the mood took me I did and... I could.
Old Oct 01, 2007, 03:57 AM
where are our jetpacks!
Ballarat
Joined Sep 2005
244 Posts
Sting ray build amendment

Hi Guys. I have made an amendment to the stingray plans and the build steps at the start of the thread - step 8.

It adds no time or complexity to the build but will greatly improve inverted flight, performance, stability and strength.

By making 2 cuts from the inner leading edge along the bottom of the wing to the first carbon spare allows the wings to become almost totally symmetrical. (cut marked in green on the plans) This solves the 10% trim up needed to maintain level flight - that means a reduction in drag .

also makes it easy to install the fuselage as the sides of the fuselage have something flat to glue too on both the side and the bottom... will save you time!

see pic - sorry about the poor pic my camera is really bad.

Also since people are making this a bit more - put your hand up if you want me to go to the trouble of making a fuselage Plan.
Old Oct 01, 2007, 04:06 AM
where are our jetpacks!
Ballarat
Joined Sep 2005
244 Posts
Also for those that want to increase the roll rate of the stingray you can try putting wing tip fins on instead, not for the faint hearted as it will increase the roll rate dramatically, so you will need to be pretty experienced.

The wing tip fins do change the stingrays behavior of high angles of attack. The Sting ray will begin to float from one side to the other (like a floating leaf) it does not reduce the angles of attack ability, it just won't look as cool.

the Sting ray Attached I built at 75% scale in 40min (that's why it's ugly with glue all over it)