HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:08 AM
Westlake Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
135 Posts
Question
Buy all new stuff or a Tx to work with old stuff?

I haven't flown in 4 years, but I want to get back into it. My Tx burned in a fire. I am left with the following stuff, and I have a question about which Tx is the best choice to maximize what I have: (there are questions after the inventory)

Tx:
(1) Hitec Focus Z S.S AM Tx (Ch.22) 72Mhz

Rx:
(1) Hitec AM Rx (Ch.22) 72Mhz
(1) Hitec Micro 555 Rx FM (Ch.20) 72Mhz
(1) JR R700 Rx FM (Ch.20) 72Mhz
(1) GWS GWR 4P Rx (Ch.20) has J sticker and HH stcker? (Gold Label)
(1) GWS GWR 4P Rx (Ch.20) has J sticker and HH sticker (Silver label)

Speed Cont:

(2) Pixie 20
(1) GWS - ICS50 (2A)

Servos:

(2) Hitec HS-55
(4) JR NES 241
(2) GWS NARO/STD
(1) Cirrus 10BB

assorted batteries - NiCD and NiMH (some are not labeled in term of type so I can't remember if they are NiMH or NiCD)

Here are my questions:

I think I can use the Hitec AM Tx and Rx I have with a small park flyer to start. I used to have a GWS Tigermoth. For my park flyer should I get another Tigermoth, or is there something new that is better?

I addition I want to have some larger planes as well. In fact I currently have a Wattage Decathalon EP and a GWS P-51D EP that are not totally built. But I would need a new Tx for these (The AM Focus would not have the range).

So should I get a Tx that works with all the stuff I have, or is it worth it to get a Spektrum DX6 even though I would have to get all new Rx, etc?

If I went with a DX6 would those servos work with it? Would it work with the Rxs I have?

What do the J and HH stickers mean on the Rx I have? In general I am totally confused about compatibility between Tx and Rx (FM/AM/+ shift/- shift/J/HH)

Even if I build the models I have, I now see that everything is Li-Poly and brushless these days, which means all new speed controllers anyway. Would I ever use the NiCD and NiMHs I have?

I am interested in everyones 2 cents on this!

Maybe I should sell everything I have and get some new stuff??
try2fly is offline Find More Posts by try2fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:29 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,490 Posts
Sorry about the fire - but if has been four years, you are in for a trip to the future. Lipos, BL motors, and ESCs have dropped in price tremendously. You can get a BL motor that performs like a .15 for about $12, beats the dickens out of a 400 can motor. When I came into the hobby just 28 months ago, lipos and BL motors were expensive, mysterious beasts best left to the serious flyers. Now there are so common and the price difference is so small (if at all!) I would steer you to selling the whole kit and ridding yourself of the past. And while you are at it - the new 2.4 GHz radios are just now coming out and offer so much with respect to no frequency issues, no glitching, etc - I would NOT hesitate to have someone coming into the hobby buying 2.4GHz gear (after I have sold off my old Optic 6!)

Jim
jamesdr is online now Find More Posts by jamesdr
Last edited by jamesdr; Feb 21, 2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 04:47 AM
That's gonna leave a mark
USA, OR, McMinnville
Joined May 2006
82 Posts
Tx:
(1) Hitec Focus 2 S.S AM Tx 72.670Mhz
Rx:
(1) Hitec AM Rx 72Mhz

I still have one of these. It's a good Tx for Am. I use it in an Ascent w/a HiMaxx 2812 outrunner and 2s 2100 lipo. Has great range, no glitches, but I fly in LARGE open area's!! Only has 3 Ch so it won't work on most lrger planes that have ail,rud,ele!

(1) Hitec Micro 555 Rx FM (Ch.20) 72Mhz
Probably the worst Rx I ever owned!! Really glithcy!

(1) JR R700 Rx FM (Ch.20) 72Mhz
(1) GWS GWR 4P Rx (Ch.20) has J sticker and HH stcker? (Gold Label)
(1) GWS GWR 4P Rx (Ch.20) has J sticker and HH sticker (Silver label)
Havn't used any of these, I don't use GWS Stuff, but some people still use use them in park-flyers. I hear they're getting better tho.

Speed Cont:

(2) Pixie 20 - Great ESC! I use them in my 2 small wings 1 a scrappy and the other a mini speedwing 250 converted to brushless!
(1) GWS - ICS50 (2A)

Servos:

(2) Hitec HS-55 - I use a lot of these, wish the gears were stronger! Stripped 5 in 2 years!
(4) JR NES 241
(2) GWS NARO/STD
(1) Cirrus 10BB

assorted batteries - NiCD and NiMH (some are not labeled in term of type so I can't remember if they are NiMH or NiCD) - I've swithed all over to lipo's, lighter and more power, has to be a good thing!!

most of what you got will work fine in Park-flyers. Look into a better radio for larger/faster planes. Computer type w/6 ch. at least, believe me you grow into them.

Sorry bout you're fire, that really sux!
caliber305 is offline Find More Posts by caliber305
Old Feb 21, 2007, 06:54 AM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,358 Posts
Go 2.4ghz, you can use the servos. Get yourself some nice brushless motors and lipos.

Sell the rest, if you can.
Eagleburger is offline Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Feb 21, 2007, 08:24 AM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Servos should work, RX definitely will not, the only rx that works with the DX6 right now is the DX6's AR6000 rx, which costs $50/pop and are somewhat hard to find at the moment (because they're selling like hotcakes so supply hasn't caught up).

I just got into this and ordered a DX6, btw.

With lipos you'll need lipo ESCs, but both can be had fairly cheap now and will beat nimh quite handidly.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:21 AM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
as you know, the 72mhz stuff does still work though. the "J" on the rx means " JR/ airtronics" or +shift. the HH might just be the mark of the guy that did the qc on it....as far as i know, it means nothing.
dmiller746 is offline Find More Posts by dmiller746
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:43 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleburger
Go 2.4ghz, you can use the servos. Get yourself some nice brushless motors and lipos.

Sell the rest, if you can.
I would say the same. Keep the 400 motors though. On LIPO diet they are pretty good stuff. Or send em to me. I am running low
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:07 AM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
i wish i would have known that someone could use the 400 can motors.....i just threw out a pile of them. i also threw out a few wattage cobalt motors, i was hesitant about those...i will see if i can dig them out.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:35 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,216 Posts
You should save the Wattage Cobalts. They make good sinkers for long-line fishing.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:52 PM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
i usually pull the magnets out and use them for hatches
Old Feb 21, 2007, 01:10 PM
Beach Pilot
Boston
Joined Jan 2006
419 Posts
The zero glitching and the resulting peace of mind of the Spektrum dx6 is worth any price. When you buy the Spektrum, it comes with four servos and a receiver (or at least it did when I last checked), all for $199. That will manage any park flyer easily, and is actually a great deal with the four S-75 servos and a receiver. Keep your current servos and the motors. You can use the servos with any rx. Your current recievers I would sell. Then you'll have to by Spektrum receivers for each plane. That's where they get you, but for me, it's well worth the price. Once you go digital, you'll never go back.

Lipo batteries are another great new thing. But they come with some new issues, and new purchases. First, they will need a new charger (this is a MUST). I suggest a good digital one with a lot of options. I use the ProPeak Prodigy II, which I connect at home to a 12v plug-in power supply. Secondly, there is a danger in Lipos. If they are charged incorrectly, they have the potential to explode, and I do mean explode. Violently. But don't be scared off by this, I have several that I have used for hundreds of charges and they are fine. They just take a little extra caution, but they are well worth it for their power and light weight. They aren't generally cheap, but you can find good deals on them, especially here in the forums. Like all electronics, etc., they are getting cheaper and more powerful every day. Read the "everything you wanted to know about lipos" post somewhere around here.

If you get brushless motors, you'll need new ESC's to go with them, but again, they are well worth it. Super powerful. Ultra quiet. Very light. I use only outrunners, so I won't have to deal with gears at all. Some guys like gears for their endless permutations, but I consider them a hassle.

It may cost a few bucks, but - Out with the old, in with the new.
Spark
Sparkorama is offline Find More Posts by Sparkorama
Last edited by Sparkorama; Feb 21, 2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 08:46 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,251 Posts
caliber 305
Strange that you should have problems with a Hitec555. I have 8 of them and have used them in every type airframe that I fly. Each and every one has performed flawlessly.
They have been the most dependable receivers I have used.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:58 AM
Westlake Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
135 Posts
Thanks everyone...more great info!

sparkorama - that's kind of the feel I am getting from everyone. The digital Tx sounds like the way to go, even though I will have to get new Rxs. And BL outrunner are definately for me because gearboxes are a pain to me. With that comes new ESC, and of course everyone if using Lipos, even if they do take forever to charge.

Now with a parkflyer like a GWS tigermoth, you still want to go with a gearbox for slowflight, correct. But no need for a BL motor either. And the IPS setup with those was very hassle-free...never had a problem with that gearbox.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 02:03 AM
Westlake Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
135 Posts
So Lipos require a special ESC?

I thought the special ESC was for the BL motors.

What does 2S mean in respect to a Lipo battery?

And THANKS to everyone for all the input. This is really helping me decide!
Old Feb 22, 2007, 04:21 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,490 Posts
Yes, there are two separate types of ESCs; one for brushed and one for brushless motors. You will not confuse the two. Brushed ESCs have two leads to the motor, brushless ESCs have three. Most brushless ESCs are lipo compatible but how they achieve this is varied and up to the manufacturer. By lipo compatible, they are supposed to cut off before you draw too much from the lipo. If you draw the lipo too far down, it will not take a charge.

#S refers to the number of cells in series. Each cell is nominally 3.7 volts. Therefore a 2S battery is 7.4 volts, a 3S is 11.1 volts. While I'm at itů
#P refers to the number of cells in parallel. 2 cells in parallel doesn't increase the voltage but increases the capacity. Typically two 2000mAh cells becomes a 4000mAh pack.
#C refers to the discharge capability. Say a 2000mAh battery is rated 10c, that means it will produce 20 amps, an 8C battery will produce 16 amps. Here is where you need to do research. Is the discharge sold the maximum, burst, or sustained? Over drawing a battery will destroy it, too much battery is a waste of money and weight,

Jim
jamesdr is online now Find More Posts by jamesdr