HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:56 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Build Log
Full House Alfa Beaufighter Attempt by Rookie

I received a box full of stuff today from Hobby Lobby, and hopefully when it's empty I'll have a good looking, fully operational and flyable Beaufighter with rudder, elevator, ailerons and retracts.

The initial unpacking and scattering of the box contents, with the wings temporarily attached so I can envision how it'll look when completed.
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
Last edited by Harv; Feb 20, 2007 at 10:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:03 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I like your co-pilot(left side of picture). Mine hangs around underfeet all the time.
I like the Beaufighter fine, but I'd prefer a Mossi. FSK has one, but the compexity of the build is a turn off. I have two FSK kits(ME-109G and B-25). I prefer the Alfa due to much easier build and decent looks and detail. FSK are great for details, but make me scared to fly them as a result.
Here is FSK Mosquito:
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:10 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
After sorting through all the pile of bits and pieces I see I'm going to need a few more things...a rudder control tube, rod & horn, some sort of hinges for the wheel well doors, a couple of servo extension wires and the coil springs for the retract suspension (I see them on the packing list, but can't find them anywhere).

I'll also have to get the local electronics guru to solder the wires to the motors, as they say to use a temp. controlled soldering station, and I don't own anything like that.

Other than that I should be able to get started. I'll be using a DX6/AR6000 Tx/Rx, and everything else as recommended by Hobby Lobby.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:14 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
The motor wires dont have the little brass fittings on them to connect to esc, is that right? Any soldering iron will work. You dont need something special. Radio shack sells them for cheap, but I dont know what type of electronic stores are around you. Homedepot also has them, but are higher grade. I got one from their that was $29 and its like a pistol grip type with heavy duty metal tip. I like this much better then the one I used to use from Radio Shack.
I also dont know what type of home improvement stores are near you, but I am sure they'd have something.
I also see that your esc's dont have the little brass bullets on them either. I suggest putting them on the esc and the mating part on the motors. I do NOT suggest direct soldering the motor wires to the esc wires. If you hook up the wires backwards, the motor will spin wrong direction. By uisng the brass connectors, all you do is switch two of the wires(ie black(motor) to black(esc) and red(motor) to red(esc) would be changed to black(motor) to red(esc) and red(motor) to black(esc)) by unplugging instead of having to break a solder and then resolder. Also, this is usefull for when you need or want to change gear or motors to a different plane somewhere down the road.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Last edited by kahloq; Feb 20, 2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:21 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,752 Posts
Hey, great, time to see this bird up close. Though don't spent too much time writing on the thread Harv, you'll have no time for the build

Good luck
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:27 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,298 Posts
Good luck Harv.
Make sure to take lots of pictures.
Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Feb 20, 2007, 07:10 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Heh, my Co-pilot is exactly that alright...right by my side making sure I don't mess up and she doesn't miss anything. The Mossie is nice alright, but for some reason my heart has always been with the Beau.

Found a couple of minor things while getting familiar with everything. The canopy needs a couple of little tabs to keep the edges lined up nicely when attached so I just used a couple of little scraps. And the elevator jams against the rudder quite firmly when installed, and will need some trimming to allow smooth movement.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 07:15 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,752 Posts
Expect to find few little bits here and there, I think they do it just to keep us on our toes. BTW How about a picture with it dry assembled next to your Tx, to give us an indication of size/scale etc.

Stuart
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 20, 2007, 07:23 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,298 Posts
Not to get off topic here but did anyone see this

http://www.d2air.at/index.php?templateid=artikel&id=574

I think kahloq posted the connection to the site. Is this the Alfa beau just in different colours? I was thinking of painting mine these colours anyway.
Cheers Mike
Old Feb 20, 2007, 07:26 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,298 Posts
Opps just found the answer to my question. It is a HVP model. Anyone got any experience with these. Boy it looks a lot like the alfa.
Cheers Mike
Old Feb 20, 2007, 07:52 PM
rhyl
Joined Jul 2005
181 Posts
what is it with cats and planes? mines just the same, shes even run off with bits of balsa and the odd small prop. find em later with little chew marks.

i like the look of the beau, love to see how it turns out. might just persuade me to get one.
twchdyn is offline Find More Posts by twchdyn
Old Feb 20, 2007, 08:10 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Richards
Opps just found the answer to my question. It is a HVP model. Anyone got any experience with these. Boy it looks a lot like the alfa.
Cheers Mike
i think the hvp ws is about 12" longer...i also think the fuse is fg and the wings are sheeted foam...they're nice kits as well...pricey but nice...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Feb 20, 2007, 09:48 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Got step B done with no issues. Elevator is glued into place, cut the rudder loose and installed the wing joiners. I'm unsure if my gluing "technique" is correct, but everything seems to be good and secure.

I also placed the servo & batt trays to see how they'd look, and discovered that some nice balsa strips are provided to hold the canopy nicely (must remember to check all parts and read all instructions before gluing scraps of foam in random locations. ).
Old Feb 20, 2007, 09:48 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,825 Posts
Michael,

The HVP Beaufighter is a very nice plane. Here is a thread I started: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346106

Cheers

Greg
Greg Beshouri is offline Find More Posts by Greg Beshouri
Old Feb 21, 2007, 04:45 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,752 Posts
HARV can you list your electronic set up spec, just as a note as to what your putting in this baby.

Stuart,
Site Sponsor