Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 20, 2007, 03:45 PM
Prescott Arizona
Joined Mar 2005
890 Posts
Discussion
Man did I mess up...Help me if you can

Thanks for looking,
I built a sailplane using separate burried servos for the flaps and have glued them in to line up with the control arms that are also glued in to the composite wings. The problem is that they are on a Y harness that sends them in opposite directions. Is there a way to cut and solder the servo leads to reverse one of them. They are Hitec servos and the leads are already cut and soldered to add the wire for the length of the wings so unsoldering and switching the wires wont be hard to do if it can be done this way.
I appreciate your helping if you can,
Bob
bobby legue is offline Find More Posts by bobby legue
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2007, 03:54 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
898 Posts
From what you describe you need one of these http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/444730.asp .

If you google 'servo reverser y harness' you will find many more.

Richard
Bearded Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Feb 20, 2007, 04:05 PM
Prescott Arizona
Joined Mar 2005
890 Posts
Thank you but I was hoping to do it manually as the harness is bonded to the fuse already.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:14 PM
Midlands, UK
Joined Jun 2004
1,332 Posts
You can't reverse a servo by swapping any of its connection wire order.

You need either to use a different brand servo in one position (other brands operate in the opposite direction), or fit a servo reverser between the 'Y' lead and one servo.
Or of course by remounting one servo in the opposite view with all the attendant geometry problems.
Or by ripping out the Y lead and using two servo extensions into separate Rx channels if available.
--
Steve
GlowFly is offline Find More Posts by GlowFly
Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:20 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby legue
Is there a way to cut and solder the servo leads to reverse one of them.
No there isn't. Here are all of the possible options that I can think of:
  1. You can use a reversing y-harness like Richard suggested.
  2. You can take a servo apart and modify it internally to go backwards. That's not easy.
  3. You can turn one of the servos around so that it faces the same direction as the other servo.
  4. You can search for a different but comparable brand of servo that rotates the opposite direction with the same signal.
  5. You can plug your flap servos into separate receiver channels and control them separately, if your radio has that capability.
The last solution is the most common one. A plane with two flap servos should be controlled by a decent computer radio with at least seven channels.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:57 PM
Prescott Arizona
Joined Mar 2005
890 Posts
Dang it! I was afraid of that.
Thanks guys for the help,
Bob
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:28 PM
THAT'S WHY
Eastern Ohio
Joined Aug 2004
762 Posts
If they are digital servos you can reverse one with the Hitec programmer. Probably analogue huh?
causeitflys is offline Find More Posts by causeitflys
Old Feb 23, 2007, 09:31 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
To reverse a servo internally, reverse the motor leads, and reverse the outer pot leads.

JW
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman