HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:53 PM
kov
Inverell, Australia
Joined Nov 2005
141 Posts
Question
Wobbly Hyperion Spitfire Retract - Waypoint 150mgr servo

Just thought I would start this to get a few ideas.

I have completed my Hyperion Spitfire and I am stoked with it . I have only one problem if you can even call it that. The right retract does not lock totally when the wheels are down. There is a little movement in the bracket the gear leg locks into. The leg itself is tight in the backet.

I have tested the retract by hand and it locks when down, it appears as though there is an extra .5mm movement required that it does not get with the Waypoint 150 MGR servo. As the travel can not by adjusted on the servo I am feeling a little frustrated.

Wind of change suggested twisting the servo slightly which sounds like a good idea but as I have all ready drilled and fitted the servo this may pose some problems. I am wondering who out there has the same issue and who has corrected it, and of course the method used to corect it.

Kov
kov is offline Find More Posts by kov
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:31 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2004
38 Posts
kov,

There is a bit of adjustment available with the plastic rod connect. Rotate it on the threaded shaft to move it in and out to get the additional length you may need to get the mechanism fully locked.

I had never used a retract servo before using this Waypoint. At first I was frustrated as well, but once I figured out all of the points of adjustment and figured out what I needed to do to get the stroke right, it now works very well.

I will add that there is a little bit of slop in the mechanism itself. But as long as the gear is locked up or down, the slop doesn't affect the functionality of the gear.

I've since made modifications to mine to strengthen and remove the slop. I've added 5/32 titanium struts and drilled and resleeved holes in the mechanism for better fit and they work really well now, but frankly, it's overkill and they work fine as they come, once you get them adjusted correctly. Hang in there!

John
joberrick is offline Find More Posts by joberrick
Old Feb 20, 2007, 08:07 PM
kov
Inverell, Australia
Joined Nov 2005
141 Posts
I tried the plastic rod connector, it did make the retract lock tight in the down position but then it was wobbly in the up position. I will try again though with more minor adjustments and see how that goes. Perhaps this is an OCD thing for me

Kov
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:28 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2004
38 Posts
You may need more stroke. What holes are you using on the servo arm? Can you move out one. Here's a shot of my set up with gear down and then gear up.
Last edited by joberrick; Feb 22, 2007 at 12:33 AM. Reason: added image
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM
kov
Inverell, Australia
Joined Nov 2005
141 Posts
What servo arm is that your using, Im using the one that has the six arms on it. I am using the second holes from the end as the ones on the end give it way too much travel. Can I confirm with you whether or not you are able to adjust the travel of the waypoint mgr with your computer radio, I emailed my place of purchase and he has told me that the travel can be adjusted on that servo with a computer radio.??

Kov
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:59 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2004
38 Posts
I'm using the six arm but cut all but 2 off. I'm using the third hole from center and a straight rod to the retract. When I did the math on how far the arm moved for each hole, the third hole match the span that was required. I did take some tweeking to get it right, but now it's dead on. As you can see, the rod connectors at the servo are mounted upside down.

These particular servos cannot be adjusted with the radio. As retract servos, they are not adjustable.

I can take some more pics of the rods to the gear if you think that will help.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 04:33 AM
kov
Inverell, Australia
Joined Nov 2005
141 Posts
Yeh thanks mate a couple pics would be good when you get the chance. Also showing the straight rod to the servo please.

regards Kov
Old Feb 24, 2007, 01:17 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2004
38 Posts
Not sure how much these will help, but take a look. As I mentioned earlier, I'm using straight rods from the servo to the retract and using the third hole out on the standard 6 horn servo arm that came with the servo.