SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2002, 04:36 PM
Santa Fe, Texas
Joined Oct 2002
402 Posts
Soaring groups in S.E. Texas

Hey guys.

I'm looking for soaring groups in the south east part of Texas....more specifically....Galveston County. I have been flying my 2M planes at local parks. But would like to find others with the same interest. I have tried some local r/c clubs, but most if not all of them are power guys that seem to point and whisper alot when I pull my planes out of the car. I'm looking for people I can learn from. Around here I usually end up answering more questions than I get to ask. Not that I mind answering questions...he** I want more peoplt to fly sailplanes......I have convinced one or two power guys to give sailplanes a try. The problem is that they are even more new to sailplanes than I am. I am learning to fly power, but sailplanes are my passion. To the guys around here they seem to be more of a distraction.

Thanks in Advance

Vince
Vince inTX. is offline Find More Posts by Vince inTX.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2002, 10:15 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
S E Texas..

Don Cleveland maybe could help..He is in Houston..Pres. of the Houston Hawks..I think...Contact him at
dclevel130@aol.com

Hope that is helpful..Brian
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Last edited by BrianSmith; Oct 03, 2002 at 09:35 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:03 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2002
19 Posts
Don's a good choice to contact. Here's the link to the Hawks website http://home.houston.rr.com/kovacs/hawks/

There is a map to the field and you can find folks out there pretty much every Saturday with flyable weather and most Sundays too. The club is pretty much sailplanes only although a few folks have electric sailplanes. The guys are very wecoming to beginners and give lots of help to anyone looking to learn or improve. Lots of members drive 1 hour or more to get to the field so you won't be alone if you live far away.

Gary
Storhund is offline Find More Posts by Storhund
Old Oct 11, 2002, 01:04 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Don Cleveland

Yup...Don is a long time friend of mine and grew up here it Tullahoma....That is a great club of really nice guys...Plus he has a buisness of neat soaring models... Brian

#### PS Maybe he sells Hi Starts....##########
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Oct 16, 2002, 06:08 PM
Santa Fe, Texas
Joined Oct 2002
402 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll contact him and try to visit the Hawks field. They are about 50 or so miles from my place. Should be worth the trip just to see more expperienced sailplane pilots fly and maybe get one of them fly my spirit elite and tell me if there is anything I can improve on.

Thanks again

Vince
Old Nov 06, 2002, 02:39 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
Your Spirit : a solution

I CARRY 2m gliders up to high altitude on top of a big training plane. I am also a flight Instructor. If you think you can derive benefits from what I do, please return an EMail. We can then arrange to meet somewhere ( maybe at the Hawks' field !) and I will be very happy to help you
Rick
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:45 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Vince,

You should come join us at the Houston Hawks. I believe we're that only glider group around the area. I just saw a picture of your Gentle lady. It looks great. Our club runs a contest once a month and we are trying to get some bigger contests going. We are having a 3 day contest memorial Day weekend, and a Woodcrafters event over labor Day. Come out and fly with us and bring some of your power buds. We'll convert them to glider guiders.

Jack Womack
Treasurer, Houston Hawks
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 14, 2002, 12:53 AM
Santa Fe, Texas
Joined Oct 2002
402 Posts
Thanks for the invitation Jack!

My buddy and I have already made plans to come up there this saturday (11/16/02),weather permitting. I will be leaving the gentle lady at home for this trip but instead I will be bringing my "Spirit Elite". My flying buddy will be bringing his "Spirit" arf and another guy will be bringing a "Spirit" arf as well....we are hoping he will have his ama by then so he can fly too. I for one am really looking forward to meeting some of the members of your club and talking about soaring with people who know what they are doing and have aplicable knowledge to pass on.

Thanks Again for the Invitation

Vince