HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2002, 04:27 PM
Oxymoron: Rap Music
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
uh oh. BATTERY PROBLEM

Ok I got my new 8 cell 800mah from allerc today and the connector is TOO LARGE to connect to my slowstick. Whats up with this??! My charged doesnt have an adapter for its size either!!!

GForce
GForceStress is offline Find More Posts by GForceStress
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2002, 04:32 PM
Unicorn
(Cordova)Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2002
1,815 Posts
Those are Deans Ultra connectors. You also got a male Deans. However, I seem to recal you are around 16 yrs old so you may not know how to solder or even have the equipment to do so.

You will need to decide if you want to go Deans or stay JST. If Deans, then you will need a solder iron, solder, and some shrink tubing.

Conversely you will need a spare JST connector (maybe a dead battery you have??) or buy one (www.foamfly.com\batteries.htm is one source). Note the description "plugs and contacts only". This means you will need a crimper and some suitable wire too.

Third option, send it back and ask David if he'll solder the JST on for you (Deans usually seel for $2 ea so that's a $4 set if bought seperately).

The last one may be the best for you (unless you are interested in learning to solder at this time ). David has been very quick to answer all of my emails, so drop him a note to get his feedback.

Hope this helps,
Jay
Jay C is offline Find More Posts by Jay C
Last edited by Jay C; Oct 02, 2002 at 04:40 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2002, 04:34 PM
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
ugh great now im stuck with a battery im never using.

GForce
Old Oct 02, 2002, 04:38 PM
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
as for soldering I dont even know what it means pretty much just heat stuff up to connect it thats all I know. Are theres any ESCs that have the deans on them already?

GForce
Old Oct 02, 2002, 04:42 PM
Unicorn
(Cordova)Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2002
1,815 Posts
Wow, those were quick replies....

Ok, soldering is out. Option 3 it is Or look for a local flyer with the tools. I would help (5 seconds max) but you are in NY, not TN

Jay
Old Oct 02, 2002, 04:45 PM
Unicorn
(Cordova)Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2002
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GForceStress
ugh great now im stuck with a battery im never using.

GForce
GForce, a quote from www.allerc.com:
"Satisfaction Guaranteed: I am so confident you will be 100% happy with your battery purchase that I am offering a 30 day money back guarantee (less shipping). Please feel free to email me at the above address with any questions before you bid. Thank you for your interest in my products.
"

Jay
Old Oct 02, 2002, 04:45 PM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Soldering

Hey man

Learn to solder, it is easy, and you cannot get away without it in this hobby (it is also alot cheaper then buying a new battery pack and esc :-))

Here is a link that google gave me

http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm

Looks quite good

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Oct 02, 2002, 05:01 PM
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
id love to learn how to solder but for now im just going to ask him to do it, I dont have enough $ to buy a soldering iron if u can believe that lol.

GForce
Old Oct 02, 2002, 05:12 PM
Unicorn
(Cordova)Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2002
1,815 Posts
So which connectors did you decide on? I recommend the JST since your other batter(ies/y) have that too.

Good luck,
Jay
Old Oct 02, 2002, 05:34 PM
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
Ok guys, heres the deal. im going to buy a soldering iron and solder it. But, I will also need a deans ultra for my charger (GWS2002) am I right? How much are dean adapters?

GForce
Old Oct 02, 2002, 05:57 PM
Iron Mountain,MI
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Yep, You are going to have to learn to live with the different connections and soldering , etc. Thats OK, will make you handier to have around the house for your future bride. The guys with no skills have to get a fellow that knows how to help him out all the time - - - - That won't impress the little mrs. :-) I can't believe that you don't know anyone around that can help some. Is their someone you know of that repairs small appliances ? you know, a handy man? fixit shop? :-) Use your talents. From what i've seen available in connecters, I think a person would be better off making up their own using radio shack parts. I am making up some polarized ones today from their part numbers - - 274-232 and 274-242 The latter is the female and the first is the male. Overcome these hurdles :-) Life is plumb full of them :-) Good Luck, you have my faith and best wishes.
uncled is offline Find More Posts by uncled
Old Oct 02, 2002, 06:01 PM
Unicorn
(Cordova)Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2002
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GForceStress
Ok guys, heres the deal. im going to buy a soldering iron and solder it. But, I will also need a deans ultra for my charger (GWS2002) am I right? How much are dean adapters?

GForce
Not hat I don't want you to learn to solder, but look at the situation you are in. You have 1 male and 1 female Utra connector. the male is unconnected and the female is soldered and heat shrinked ot the battery. I'll assume you have other batteries with JST connectors, your ESC has JST, and now your charger does too. The only reason I use Ultras is that the stuff I bought already had them. You are in the opposite situation. You need to stick with JST unless you are willing to resolder all of your current equipment with Ultras. Not really worth it IMHO.

On the other hand, if you are hellbent on going for it, you will need at least another female (guess 1 other battery), and a male (for the charger). The soldering iron kit at RatShack is around $20 (if I remember correctly) and should come with iron, stand, and solder. You will also need some heat shrink (my guess is $2.75 but don't hold me to that )

FWIW, flux fumes are toxic. Don't hover over the work and inhale too deeply

Jay
Old Oct 02, 2002, 06:25 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,797 Posts
Here is another great article if you want to learn to solder. It is true that as you progress in rc soldering becomes pretty much necessary. You sound like you are really into it, so why not learn now that the opportunity has presented itself? On the other hand, you could just get a new battery pack with the jst connectors and wait on it. Soldering does invlove very hot irons that can instantly give you a 3rd degree burn, in addition to lots of nasty chemicals, lead etc. So, make sure you really know what to do when you start and if you can get some help with it. It is extremely easy once you get the hang of it and even fun!

I originally put deans on my charger for my car which I had made all deans. Then the plane was all jst. So I had to make a deans/jst adaptor for the charger. Hey there's no limit!

http://www.balakracing.com

-Jon
echoplanar is online now Find More Posts by echoplanar
Last edited by echoplanar; Oct 02, 2002 at 06:31 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2002, 06:31 PM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,117 Posts
try an ADAPTER!

Here's an idea no-one came up with: make an adapter. Get the opposite sex of whatever connector came on the battery, preferably with a pigtail (this is a short length of wire already soldered to the connector. Get another connector the opposite sex of whatever is on your speed control, again with a pigtail. Strip a little insulation off the wires, then connect black to black and red to red. USE WIRE NUTS. These cost very little money! They work too! Your house is probably wired wih hundreds of them. You can buy them at any hardware store. There is also something called a crimp connector. This will work too! Soldering the right connector to your pack is probably the best sollution, but hey, it's not like it's the only one!
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old Oct 02, 2002, 06:31 PM
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
Do I need a male or female for the battery charger connection? (the one that is on the battery charger
GForce