HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2007, 09:27 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2004
569 Posts
Discussion
Promoting Soaring in SW Missouri?? The SW Missouri Soaring Extravaganza.

Most people that know me really well know that I have a deep background in R/C Soaring before I started flying 3D/Giant Scale/IMAC/Freestyle aerobatics. After being out of the soaring community for several years, and soaring in my area not being really popular, I would like to get back into soaring and promote this aspect of the hobby in my area. I thought about holding a TD/HLG contest in our area, but after thinking it through the turn-out for a competion would probably be low for the first couple of years. While driving home from work tonight an idea popped into my head and I would like some feed back to see what you...the soaring community would think?? So here's the idea... The SW Missouri Soaring Extravaganza!! This event would be a "fly-in" style event with no organized competitions, and would encompass TD flying with winches set up, Aero-tow/scale,XC, DLG/HLG flying,LSF Achievement, electric soaring, and just about anything soaring related goes except for DS/Slope(it's too flat around here!lol). So I am looking for some input and feedback to see what you all think. Thanks!

JP
Jeff Pfeifer is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Pfeifer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2007, 01:24 PM
Tulsa Jones, Oklahoma, United States
Joined May 2002
312 Posts
Sounds good to me. When and where?

Jeff
Tulsa
nxtdoor is offline Find More Posts by nxtdoor
Old Feb 24, 2007, 01:43 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Aug 2004
45 Posts
Starting a large contest

Hi
I was priveleged to witness the beginning of the Mid South Soaring Championships in Memphis Tn. The fellow that started it started a club. Trained about 40 flyers, set up a winch every saturday for a few years, and was a great allaround guy. He put an amazing effort into the club. He often would not get to fly at all with all the teaching and retrieveing.
When there was a nucleus of guys willing to contest and put on a contest. The club started the MSSC. The first few years there were only 30 or so pilots. After that it grew to as many as 110. The rest is history and the effort of many other guys.
If you want to know his name PM me.
Dave
sbxcflyer is offline Find More Posts by sbxcflyer
Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:07 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,109 Posts
Let me know when and where. I can probably bring a couple more from the Little Rock area.

Keith
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:50 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
A good Volunteer...

The Houston Hawks were revived by a fellow like that. He was pretty unselfish when it came to setting up the winch and so on. We all thought he was a pretty good guy, but then he off and went to Tennessee...

My hat's off to him.... My Burnt Orange hat, that is...

Jack Womack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Last edited by schrederman; Feb 28, 2007 at 04:22 PM.