HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2007, 09:16 PM
Texas
Joined Jul 2006
130 Posts
Discussion
portable landing strip

I used a new technique that I dreamed up for taking off on grass using my electric war birds. Every time I tried to take off on grass I usually nosed over even with the elevator up. I had a Plastic tarp that was 8' x 11 1/2 ' and used large landscape nails to hold the tarp down like tent stakes. I faced the longest part of the tarp toward the wind and placed the plane at the edge. I gave my E-flite jug that has been glassed and weighs around 25 ounces the first try. By the time it hit the end of the tarp it was gently floating off the ground! No Nosing over! Now landing on the tarp was a different story it's kind of like trying to land on a carrier in the middle of the ocean! LOL
After I was through flying I used a hammer to pull the nails out of the ground and folded up the tarp and through it in the back of my truck.
wolfpack72 is offline Find More Posts by wolfpack72
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:16 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,286 Posts
Nice idea...I've thought about using a large piece of foldable cardboard....but there is no way I am good enough yet to hit the damn thing when landing (except as a giant lawn dart)...so I'll just wait a while yet
Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is online now Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:26 PM
Texas
Joined Jul 2006
130 Posts
I had thought about the cardboard too but the tarp was easier to fold up and work with. and with the large nails you can pull it nice and tight.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:47 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
You could also do two tarps one in front of the other.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:51 PM
Big 3D
Lufkin, TX
Joined Feb 2003
872 Posts
4'x8' coroplast sheets or plastic roll sheeting
jamin is offline Find More Posts by jamin
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:56 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Great to hear someone else thinking of this. Yes Hitting an 8' X 12' runway would be pretty tough. That's about 1/100th scale of even a small municipal runway so no shame in overshooting that. A 100' tarp would be closer to scale size for a typical parkflyer but that's not so portable anymore is it. Nor cheap.

About the most effective thing I've thought of is a couple 100' rolls of fairly heavy tar paper. Paint it up like ashphalt.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:28 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
Try a scrap piece of a rock quarries conveyor belts. Some are manageable or can be pieced together.

Price should be ---FREE.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Feb 19, 2007, 05:07 PM
EPP Addict
Nashville, TN
Joined Jan 2006
994 Posts
what about astroturf or similar... seems like it wouldn't be too hard (then again, not exactly easy either) to hit a 4 or 5 foot wide strip 25-50 feet long. With a parkflyer anyway, as the size goes up, well, all bets are off.

Maybe a local high school or rec center is re-doing their artificial field and has some scraps?

Just thinking "out loud" as it were...
LuckyDay is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDay
Old Feb 19, 2007, 09:22 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,682 Posts
Get yourself one of those 25'x50' tarps(good luck refolding it on your own though ) You may also want to start hitting rummage sales for a Slip 'n Slide. 2 SNS's end to end will give you about 40'(be sure to tuck the second one under the first so you have a smooth transition). they're pretty cheap at rummage sales too.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Feb 20, 2007, 03:46 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,028 Posts
I've been looking into 3mm ribbed rubber sheeting 1m wide by 10m long, only problem is that a 10m roll weighs 35Kgs. Getting off will be OK, but landing back on is going to need accuracy

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Feb 20, 2007, 07:32 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Look at it like this... instead of air combat at the field we can now play "carrier landings"... if you miss, you nose in..... the one with the least amount of damage wins!!
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Feb 20, 2007, 07:57 AM
Texas
Joined Jul 2006
130 Posts
Landing on the 8'x 12' is possible with lots and lots of practice! I came within 6 inches of making it the first time I tried. The wind was deffinately a factor that day it wouldn't let my plane come down it would just set up there a float and then the sudden drop! The speed of warbirds is the second factor trying to slow them down enough to make the landing with out them stalling and nosing in.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 08:06 AM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
ive used a roll of the black plastic underlay they use with conceret.place cardboard over grass[helps if the grass is really short] then roll out your roll of underlay.peg it down nice and tight and you have a good runway.mines about 40 feet long and is painted up so it looks real.have made a arrestor hook setup with fishing line and rubber bands and pegs.just need a hook at the tail of your plane and good to stop etc.
and yes it really does work.next time i set it up i'll get some pics.

mark
taxdodger is offline Find More Posts by taxdodger
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:43 AM
Joined Apr 2006
916 Posts
Do that please,i'd like a gander at it.
fleetmaster is offline Find More Posts by fleetmaster
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:47 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,581 Posts
Portable Astroturf ... I've thought about that one before but keep wondering how big a piece , say, 5 feet wide by 25 or so feet long, would be rolled up? Would it fit in a car or trunk or would you need a van or truck?
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vaterra Ford Raptor with AVC