SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2007, 06:17 PM
Joined Feb 2007
5 Posts
Discussion
Thunder Tiger Trainer 2000

My dad purchased a Thunder Tiger Trainer 2000 years a go. Well after 3 moves, it's in bad shape. Does anyone know where i can buy a new one? I am a newbie to the whole RC Plane thing. I would like the same plane instead of one of the newer Thunder Tiger Trainers.

The plane has an O.S. LA 40 engine. What plane can i purchase that works with this engine and is relatively cheap?
astrofreak_1212 is offline Find More Posts by astrofreak_1212
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:29 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,683 Posts
Astrofreak -

Welcome to RCGroups. The plane is long out of production AFAIK, and I seriously doubt you can get any parts for your plane due to its age. Has it been assembled or still in kit form? Can you post some pictures of it so we can see what condition things are in? It may cheaper to rebuild than replace.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Feb 19, 2007, 07:58 PM
Joined Feb 2007
5 Posts
I can't get pics of it at this time. but i can explain it's damages. The wings suffered a lot. The skin is ripped up pretty bad and the end of the wing is crushed. The plane is assembled. The rear of the plane was worse. It was crushed to the point of broken and falling off. the rudder was almost completely off. i was able to somewhat repair this with gluing but i dont' think it's near good enough for flight. I'm thinking my best choice would be to scrap it and find a new fuselage.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 08:14 PM
Retired Army Aviator
New Mexico
Joined Nov 2004
310 Posts
There are several planes to pick from. Do you have a transmitter? If not they do make combo Arfs with plane, engine and a radio for a good price.
Cyclic Hardover is offline Find More Posts by Cyclic Hardover
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:57 PM
Joined Feb 2007
5 Posts
Just scrapped the old plane. The wings were too busted up to just reskin them.

I was able to recover the servos, landing gear, engine, & a lot of those little plastic parts. Now i just need a plane. Does anyone know where i can purchase just the fuselage? I would be able to buy a different size planes cuz i could ebay the engine. it probably has 20 minutes of use on it. (flown twice) and then purhcase a different size engine.

Thanks,

Kyle
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:47 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofreak_1212
My dad purchased a Thunder Tiger Trainer 2000 years a go.
Wow, did not know they had planes 2000 years ago .....
I do know they had wireless,
since they did not find wire from 2000 years ago !

If you really like to get into these things, then find something that is close to it.

How good do you think you are in building from scratch ? You mentioned you scrapped the old one, but you may be able to use the old one as a template.

Normally, new pilots start with an ARF, then try to build from kits, then from scratch (home made). Most of us *builders* have started out that way a long time ago.

Depending on where you live (altitude), that *old* engine may still be good enough for your first trainer.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:04 AM
Joined Feb 2007
5 Posts
Well i live in the mouuntains of colorado. (around 7000 ft) Also, that plane is gone lol. Not good at buliding from scratch. would definitely like to start with a kit.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 02:49 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Whoa .... 7000 feet !! We call that, *you land, where we fly* !!!
That old 40 may be just OK for a smallish plane, not heavier than maybe 3.5 lbs AUW.

Go for at least a 60 at that altitude. Then go for the biggest trainer you can find.
You can always throttle back, but full throttle with a small engine is full throttle, no matter how hard you pull more ......
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Feb 20, 2007, 04:11 PM
Joined Feb 2007
5 Posts
Ok, thanks for the tip! well i think it's more like 6,580 but is just the same. will definitely look into a bigger engine.

Thanks,

Kyle
Old Jun 05, 2008, 08:20 PM
Niagara, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
73 Posts
Sorry to bring this old thread back to life, but here's the situation. I just acquired one of these ARFs and I'm looking for the construction manual. I wasn't able to find anything online, but would sure appreciate a guidebook.

Any suggestions?

Meko
Meko is offline Find More Posts by Meko
Last edited by Meko; Jun 07, 2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2008, 08:26 AM
-
ShangHai China
Joined Jun 2008
87 Posts
that one sells only $40,
in china ^_^!!
comy is offline Find More Posts by comy