HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:10 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex1
I like my two older 1107 motors (one is only a month old ! )
and due to the cool running temps expect to have them a long time.

If I may, I'd like to ask Mr Neu
If in future it would be possible to include power and efficency graphs
with the motors.

It would help greatly in comparing with newer models as they are released
I don't think thats a lot to ask for a motor in this price range ?
A number of plots are posted on the www.neumotors.com web site. More to follow as time allows.

Steve Neu
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:42 PM
Conformity Kill's
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,796 Posts
Since I'm not a motor geek I can't tell by the material used and workmanship how well motor A will compare to motor B, so I have to look to my trusty EagleTree FDR for the answer. What I do know that there is a motor for every application, but there is no abosolute perfect motor at dirt cheap prices. The rule of you get what you pay for comes to mind, but every once in a whlie you find things that work for what you need. There's no way I would reccomend this motor to somone who's making a scale heli or just ants to do sport flying with some loops and rolls thrown in, The 1107H 1.5Y is the cats meow for hard flying period and it does it without moaning about it. If you don't plan on doing 18 4 point tic tocs in a row, you might want something else.

Speaking of something else, stay tuned for my motor tests for this size Heli, I have to narrow down the testing (only going to use one Heli (trex450SE)insted of two) to get more motors tested faster, but it should really provide good info. Here's the list of motors on the bench.

JGF 500TH 60$
JGF 450TH 56$
JGF 450F 56$
Align 430L 48$
ZPower Z10A 69$
Medusa 3400 70$
NEU 1107H 1.5Y 129$
NEU 1107H 2Y 129$
RC-Tek BM450 40$
very broad price range...

I really can't add anymore motors since I paid for these out of my own pocket the budget for testing is drained (617$, I could have had two more heli's!!!). Once I'm done all but three of these are going up for sale to help replenish the pot.

GW
geneween is offline Find More Posts by geneween
Old Feb 20, 2007, 01:35 PM
Splash down!
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
1,034 Posts
. It would have been nice to see how the new official trex 450se V2's motor would perform compared to the others. I understand about the money thing though .

I was going to do something similar for speed controllers. I was going to buy some of the well known models and do a comparison of them(how well they hold RPM in gov mode) and good and bad points of all their features from a heli perspective. That requires money upfront and even if you plan to sell them all later you will lose money in the end.

I have yet to ever find a comparison of features(including safety) and efficiency for ESCs with graphs. It would be nice to know once and for all how much more cooler and efficient the top rated ESCs would be for a 450 sized heli.
xStatiCa is online now Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Old Feb 20, 2007, 01:40 PM
Conformity Kill's
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,796 Posts
When it comes to ESC's there's only one thing IMO that is very important. Don't use the internal BEC the Jazz and higher end ones seems to work, but I've burned out too many to trust them. I always use an external, in all my helis. good or bad pro's and con's, it's work for me for over a year.

GW
Old Feb 20, 2007, 03:49 PM
Head...Paper...Now!
Valley Village, California, United States
Joined Mar 2002
1,264 Posts
Even with the higher price, great power of this motor. The one thing that really did it for
me is the cool running. It gets pretty hot here in the summer time and I don't want to have to worry about frying my motor!
I do think because of that fact, it would be a good choice for scale ships with limited
cooling.

JFG
JFGrn is offline Find More Posts by JFGrn
Old Feb 20, 2007, 04:46 PM
Joined Apr 2006
3,950 Posts
just spoke with steve and carol, awesome people although part of what steve was saying about the motor im still digesting.

again synopsis, geneween let my fly his trex with this motor, the first moment i flew it, i was hooked, seriously i was. i had to buy one just to see what it would do.

thankfully i got in early enough for this motor, carol states i should have one sent this coming thursday (boy this makes me even more antzy and excited).

i shall devote this entire thread to this particular motor. commenting specifically for you guys and steve the goods, the bads about this motor.

NEU FOR LIFE!!! IS RIGHT.
driftinsequence is offline Find More Posts by driftinsequence
Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:03 PM
Conformity Kill's
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,796 Posts
now I totally feel like a drug dealer.... here's try this, don't worry all the cool kids are doing it...you want to one of the cool kids don't you...

power is addicting...that's for sure..

GW
Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:12 PM
Joined Apr 2006
3,950 Posts
na gene, when i feel a good motor, i have to have it. i thought the medusa had power, dude you have great taste is all i can say gene.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:23 PM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
Placed my order yesterday since I came into some unexpected funds...I'll still need to "grow-into" this motor, but I'll throw the 10t on it and have some fun!!

Thanks for continuing to be our "guinea pigs"!!
beafraid8 is offline Find More Posts by beafraid8
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:01 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
All I know is that my Medusa 28-40-3400 comes down hot enough to boil water, and definitely cooks lipos. It's got ballistic power, but if the Neu has more and comes down cool..

Geez.

-Kyle
arclite5 is offline Find More Posts by arclite5
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:03 PM
Joined Apr 2006
3,950 Posts
what i learned from steve neu from talking with him today is that heat creates resistance which means the efficiency level goes down. hence why power decreases midway in flight and batteries get hot.

when i flew the motor, kyle you have to believe me when i say it comes down cooler than body temperature!!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:05 PM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
This thread pointed me to NEU motors for comparison, I was in the market so read reviews on trextuning etc. Since I fly sport and some loops roles my needs are less, plus I run 15/16C 3S packs. I went with the 1105/3Y.

...so thanks to drift for starting this thread (and gene too) I found the motor I was looking for.

I agree that cost is important but finding the right match for the need wins me over every time
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:23 PM
Conformity Kill's
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,796 Posts
The reason for the cool running motor is the way Steve has designed the intergrated fan. insted of the normal fan on top of the motor thing blowing/sucking air through the motor, steve made the top half of the motor a little larger in dia. so the fan not only blows down the center of the motor but along the sides of the motor along the fins. it's very simple and very affective. I can't wait until he comes out with larger motors with this type of cooling system.

GW
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:27 PM
Joined Apr 2006
3,950 Posts
again, steve is heading in the right direction. heat is everything.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:53 PM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinsequence
again, steve is heading in the right direction. heat is everything.
Heat isn't everything. Weight matters too... at least to me.

My Rex feels like a flying brick sometimes. I'm trying to find more power than my 430L with out adding a lot of extra weight. The Align 430L is 58 grams. My Rex's AUW with it and TP 2100's is 759grams.
How much does the NEU 1107H weigh?
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc