SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:07 PM
Joined Apr 2006
3,950 Posts
gene, what is the exact motor again, please PM or call my cell. im about to get it tomorrow.
driftinsequence is offline Find More Posts by driftinsequence
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:57 PM
Conformity Kill's
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,796 Posts
taken from Neu Motors web page
here's the link
http://www.neumotors.com/20061222/Heli%20Motors.html

"Our new helicopter motors have been designed for the special demands of the tough environment that helicopters present. The lack of cooling and high peak loads in hard 3D flying often leads to very hot motors that fail early. Our newly designed 1107H motors address the issues by taking our very efficient 1107 series of motors and enclosing them in a newly designed case with axial cooling fins and a very powerful internal blower/shroud that directs the air over the surface of the motor housing and fins. There is enough air moved that if the speed controller is mounted close by it can be cooled also. The motors can be ordered with a 2.3 or 3.2mm shaft. The first 50 pre production motors are available direct only. If you want to be the first with the coolest motor around order now!

•The 1107H/2Y uses the same stator/rotor as our popular 1107/2Y motor. The original 1107/2Y motor has proven itself to be one of the most efficient, powerful and coolest motors available. The 1107H version will ensure it keeps that title. Most fliers will find this motor to be the best balance between power and efficiency. It can be run on 3S for very strong sport flying or with 4S for truly silly power!

•The 1107H/1.5Y motor has a stronger magnets than does our 1107/1.5Y giving it higher torque and lower RPM making it ideal for the Trex450 on 3S Lithium. The 1107H/1.5Y is a new version that is intended for the very hard core 3D flier. It has very low resistance coupled with very low idle current which results in a motor that can be run at very high peak power without generating excessive heat."

you can order the pre-production motors direct from NEU motors web page using paypal, according to the statment above there are only 50 of these avail. right now!
here's the link
http://www.neumotors.com/20061222/Store.html

once again,

for all out 3D get the 1.5Y and use a 10t - 12t pinion, note that a 12t pinion is right on the edge of being a little too much Headspeed IMO. I use a 11t pinion with standard timing.

For a more "all around" motor get the the 2Y, the lower KV will alow it's use from begginers to 3D experts depending on the pinion you use and either 3S or 4S.

I'm begining to sound like I'm pimping the NEU motors which makes me a little uneasy, so Mr. Neu, could you please answer some of these questions. I like the NEU motors, but because I like to keep my opinions unbiased, I'd like to sound more like an avg. joe talking and not a product pimp. there's a thin line between being excited about a product and a product pimp

GW
geneween is offline Find More Posts by geneween
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:44 AM
Joined Apr 2006
3,950 Posts
just picked up my first neu, $139.99 motor, can you say DOUBLE OUCH!!!!!
driftinsequence is offline Find More Posts by driftinsequence
Old Feb 20, 2007, 01:00 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinsequence
As good as they are (and i have a few) its hard to justify the double or tripple price for the small gain in performance over may of the other motors we use.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Feb 20, 2007, 01:15 AM
Conformity Kill's
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,796 Posts
all though I totally agree with OZ about the cost, for hardcore 3D this motor does offer unlimited power. There are many, many other motors to choose from that will fit just about every pocket book and flying style, I would not reccomend this motor to everyone unless your into hard 3Dor have the $ to afford it. I wouldn't spend the entire heli budget just for this motor and have the other components suffer. when I get done with my motor testing there will be many to choose from and I gaurente there will be a motor for everyones need. If you've seen the Dragonous video that 3D stuff was done with RC-Tek's BM450 motor with a TPX lipo with only about 3000rpm on the head. the BM450 is only 40$ well within most peoples budget. This motor is for deep pockets and people who really like power.

GW
geneween is offline Find More Posts by geneween
Old Feb 20, 2007, 01:58 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Well said GW
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Feb 20, 2007, 09:45 AM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneween
all though I totally agree with OZ about the cost, for hardcore 3D this motor does offer unlimited power. There are many, many other motors to choose from that will fit just about every pocket book and flying style, I would not reccomend this motor to everyone unless your into hard 3Dor have the $ to afford it. I wouldn't spend the entire heli budget just for this motor and have the other components suffer. when I get done with my motor testing there will be many to choose from and I gaurente there will be a motor for everyones need. If you've seen the Dragonous video that 3D stuff was done with RC-Tek's BM450 motor with a TPX lipo with only about 3000rpm on the head. the BM450 is only 40$ well within most peoples budget. This motor is for deep pockets and people who really like power.

GW
I was thinking the same thing. Well said.
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:11 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinsequence
$129 is the MSRP--so who is selling for over list? We are selling them on our web site www.neumotors.com

Steve Neu
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:24 AM
Joined Dec 1999
7,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozace
As good as they are (and i have a few) its hard to justify the double or tripple price for the small gain in performance over may of the other motors we use.
Small gain like running stone cold and more power than is sociable? I bet when you total up what you have spent on your Trex450--you will find that the motor is a very small percentage. I will bet you have poured more money into "bling" which does nothing to improve the power and performance. By many accounts the next best motor costs $89.95 plus $5 for a chunk of metal for a heat sink. For just $35 more you get a more efficient motor that does not need scrap metal stuck on it and runs stone cold--or nearly so. So in that context is the $35 actually a big difference?

Steve Neu
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:38 AM
California
Joined Jun 2006
4,053 Posts
This is my general opinion and is not directed towards any specific motor vendor. Knowing what it really costs to make various motors, I cannot honestly understand what justifies a US$100+ motor - regardless of the performance. There is NO relevant motor anywhere that costs more than US$35 to manufacture (even in small qty's) so where does the x3 to x4 margin come from??? Anyway, I will get off my soap box.

Regards,
Scott
Scott_RC-TEK is offline Find More Posts by Scott_RC-TEK
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:59 AM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,063 Posts
The price is what it is. Steve and the other motor manufacturers price their motors according to demand, R&D, component cost, production run, etc. I have no problem paying $100+ for a motor if it fits my needs. I don't think $130 is unreasonable. The only reason I'm not buying one (yet ) is because I don't possess the necessary skill to use it to its full potential.

BTW: I just spent $130 on a Kontronik FUN 400-28 for my Funjet project. I will most likely buy the new Align 430XL instead b/c it fits my buget/skill level more appropriately.
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:11 PM
Splash down counter: 10
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
1,109 Posts
Why don't we see more Kontronik motors tested? I havent ever seen a user review with one on a trex 450. They make great ESCs... so what is the deal with their motors?

geneween, Any chance you are going to test the new 430XL motor too? It would be great to see someone review all the latest motors side by side instead of just getting different user reviews of motors separately.
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:23 PM
Joined Dec 1999
7,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_RC-TEK
This is my general opinion and is not directed towards any specific motor vendor. Knowing what it really costs to make various motors, I cannot honestly understand what justifies a US$100+ motor - regardless of the performance. There is NO relevant motor anywhere that costs more than US$35 to manufacture (even in small qty's) so where does the x3 to x4 margin come from??? Anyway, I will get off my soap box.

Regards,
Scott
If you base your numbers on the cheap stuff from China then maybe you are right. If you are using M15 .007 steel laminations and other high grade materials you will see why some things cost more. You really know very little about the cost of manufacturing small high power motors. It is not about bling--it is about the materials and design!

Steve
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:40 PM
California
Joined Jun 2006
4,053 Posts
Steve,
As I will be your new neighbor down there in San Diego in a week or so, I will take your comments about me not knowing R&D and material use with a grain of salt since you don't know me. I am an engineer by trade and my company has our products manufactured in Asia, Germany, and the USA. I know about design, domestic/overseas cost, materials, and what is fair market value.

Please, let's keep things realistic. I was actually thinking we could collaborate in the near future on a few projects as we share some mutual interests. At any rate, as I said, my comments were not directed towards anyone specific.

Regards,
Scott
Scott_RC-TEK is offline Find More Posts by Scott_RC-TEK
Old Feb 20, 2007, 01:08 PM
X-Ikarus
United Kingdom, North York
Joined Feb 2003
1,715 Posts
I like my two older 1107 motors (one is only a month old ! )
and due to the cool running temps expect to have them a long time.

If I may, I'd like to ask Mr Neu
If in future it would be possible to include power and efficency graphs
with the motors.

It would help greatly in comparing with newer models as they are released
I don't think thats a lot to ask for a motor in this price range ?
Reflex1 is offline Find More Posts by Reflex1