HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:28 AM
Head...Paper...Now!
Valley Village, California, United States
Joined Mar 2002
1,264 Posts
Gene, do you think a Dragonus needs the power of the 1.5Y?

Is a good headspeed for it is around 2800 to 2900 for hard 3D?

John
JFGrn is offline Find More Posts by JFGrn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:45 AM
Joined Apr 2006
3,950 Posts
john, the headspeed that gene had when i flew the helicopter was plenty enough. it just needed some more pitch (alittle more negative at that, probably like 2 more degree positive and 3 more degrees negative).
driftinsequence is offline Find More Posts by driftinsequence
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:59 AM
Conformity Kill's
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGrn
Gene, do you think a Dragonus needs the power of the 1.5Y?

Is a good headspeed for it is around 2800 to 2900 for hard 3D?

John
The headspeed Jason was flying at was about 3100rpm +/- 100rpm with an 11t pinion...but it had very very little bogging if any..If Jason were to add more pitch it would bog a hair more but not much. remember that was on the Trex and using a cheap DN 20C lipo, throw in a TPX lipo and add back about 100rpm and no bogging..

IMO you can knock the Headspeed down one more tooth to a 10t and get about 2800rpm and that's perfect for the Dragonous, the dragonous was running the RC-Tek BM450 and a 12t pinion for about 2900 on the head. And you saw in the video what that can do. Now imagine the same Heli with completely unstopable motor running at 2800rpm on the head.

But for the money the BM450 is a flat out rocket....If your going to be a 3D guy or like me want a heli dripping with power and cost is not a factor the NEU 1107H 1.5Y or 2Y is a great motor for you.
If cost is a factor, the BM450 at $40US, you just can't beat it....
or you can wait a week or so for my motor testing to be complete, and choose between what I have tested (I think I have 9 motors I'm going through). the price range for the motors being tested are from 40 - 140$US and I gaurentee there's a motor for everyone in the bunch. IMO the JGF motors are in the same league as the BM450, but I'll have to let the numbers from the FDR speak for the individual motors.

Gene
geneween is offline Find More Posts by geneween
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:23 AM
Fallbrook, CA
Joined May 2006
222 Posts
Where can I buy the 1107H in SoCal

Is there a hobby shop where I can pick one up like today or tomorrow?
I think I want the 2Y version, as I am a rank beginner, but I like quality stuff. Will the 3.17 pinions fit the 3.2 shaft.
Thanks
jahunter is offline Find More Posts by jahunter
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:25 AM
Head...Paper...Now!
Valley Village, California, United States
Joined Mar 2002
1,264 Posts
Thanks for the reply Gene, The RC-Tek BM450 did Rock!!
But after seeing that Neu Motor I couldn't resist. I went with the 2Y.
I know at my level I don't really need it, but it's such a gem. I'm a motor head what can I say.
Plus it runs so cool, which will be a plus during summer time.

Look forward to your motor shoot out.

John
JFGrn is offline Find More Posts by JFGrn
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:03 PM
Joined Apr 2006
3,950 Posts
im in the process of getting mine as we speak but due to me wanting another trex, my batteries needing to be replaced soon, i might have to wait which makes me really angry.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:51 PM
TEAM SCHC
Joined Jul 2006
1,595 Posts
are they heavier than the medusa? they are way more expensive.
timphan84 is offline Find More Posts by timphan84
Old Feb 19, 2007, 01:39 PM
Adam Gibson
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahunter
Will the 3.17 pinions fit the 3.2 shaft.
The 3.2 is really 3.17 (1/8th inch) from what I have seen. Some just round it up to 3.2.
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Old Feb 19, 2007, 03:07 PM
Conformity Kill's
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,796 Posts
if your goint to use the 1.5Y get yourself a 10t pinion and try that out first before you venture with any higher tooth count, IMO 12t is about as high as I would go with this motor, you can get one from either JustGoFly.com or find a dealer like FXaeromodels.com that carry ECO8 pinions. Don't forget to grind a flat spot on the motor shaft (place motor in a ziplock bag, then poke shaft through the side of the bag, so when you grind the shaft you don't get any metal in the motor) and for goodness sake don't use threadlock on the set screw, just tighten it down on the shaft, you can use a very, very light drop of blue threadlock but don't over do it.

GW
Old Feb 19, 2007, 03:43 PM
Joined Apr 2006
3,950 Posts
tim, im gonna buy one, if you were at the event, you would have seen how much more powerful this motor is. its insane, 4pt tic tocks = easy---er!
Old Feb 19, 2007, 04:50 PM
King William, VA
Joined Jan 2007
22 Posts
Anyone using 4S with the 1107/2y 3.2? I have that one installed with the Jaz 40-6-18 and it has unreal power using TP2070 4S extremes. I currently have the 11T pinion on the motor but I think the head speed is way too high as I can't tame the tail. Does anyone know what pinion to run with 4S?
Heli Addict is online now Find More Posts by Heli Addict
Old Feb 19, 2007, 06:28 PM
College Station, TX USA
Joined Dec 2003
1,811 Posts
I have flown some Neu motors on 4s1p, not too sure on what number where. Very impressive power, but the heli had a lot of weight up there in the nose with all that. The main thing for your RPM isuue is to tame the center point down and raise your outer points to allow a more constant RPM. Use that extra power torque wise rather than max RPM.

You will draw more current this way, so check that. You can also go down a tooh pinion wise to loose a little RPM but gain torque. Still with toning it down you have the capablilty to run higher thottle percentage to keep the motor from loading up as much.

The thing to watch for is over reving the head. If it is turning insanly fast you could have problems with idle up desents.

Nick
Nick Maxwell is offline Find More Posts by Nick Maxwell
Old Feb 19, 2007, 07:06 PM
King William, VA
Joined Jan 2007
22 Posts
Thanks Nick, I'll mess with the power curves then. I had the power set at 100% all the way like you suggested with the align ESC without gov mode activated. This is the Jazz and I guess the gov mode is supposed to be ok with this ESC.
Tail holds in fast backwards flight but wags alot. My guess is the head speed is just too high.

PS, Don't know if you remember me, met you last summer at Muncie. Tall pilot.

Joe
Heli Addict is online now Find More Posts by Heli Addict
Old Feb 19, 2007, 08:33 PM
College Station, TX USA
Joined Dec 2003
1,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Addict
Thanks Nick, I'll mess with the power curves then. I had the power set at 100% all the way like you suggested with the align ESC without gov mode activated. This is the Jazz and I guess the gov mode is supposed to be ok with this ESC.
Tail holds in fast backwards flight but wags alot. My guess is the head speed is just too high.

PS, Don't know if you remember me, met you last summer at Muncie. Tall pilot.

Joe

Hi,
Yeah with the less powerful motors 100% is by far the best, but when the HS is getting to an unsafe speed, its ok to tone it down. Just remember that it is pulling more amps!

Hey Yes I remeber you. I hope all is well for you! Are you coming back for next year?

Nick
Nick Maxwell is offline Find More Posts by Nick Maxwell
Old Feb 19, 2007, 08:44 PM
Conformity Kill's
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,796 Posts
like nick said, fist try a 10t pinion which is the smallest I've found, if that's still too much, lower the throttle curve. But I have a feeling that if you just drop a tooth you should be around the 3100 - 3200rpm range at 100%. right now with an 11t your in the 3400 - 3500rpm range which is just a bit too high for my taste.

GW