HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2007, 08:33 AM
its hard living in the UK
Joined Oct 2005
239 Posts
Cool
Radio shack + 5700KV

sup guys, this weekend i have devoted my time to shelling out a Radio shack 2WD off road-er, and cramming in (literally) a mamba max 5700KV system. the chassis is nothing special, single wishbones at the front with independent suspension, and at the back; a differential with 2 shocks that move with the entire motor+diff assembly. my initial goal was to destroy in the funnest was possible. but so far this hasn't been the case, ive jumped this thing a 4ft and its taken it no problem, the gears wont go any tome soon as that is the most over engineered gear box ive ever seen, the pinions contact patch must be 4X that of the one in my TC4.... this thing is really built like a tank. and its fast too, im only running cheap 6 cell packs (the biggest let down of the project) as they cannot supply the juice, it WOULD pull wheelies, but the lack of current makes it stutter. this has been and will probably continue to be a very fun project, i feel lipos are in order and then ill see what my system has to offer . if any ones interested i can get some pics up and bit of an explanation as to how i did it. as long as the car uses a 540 motor and theres space inside, any conversion would be possible, this thing only cost me 1 (bout $.50) but its been alotta fun .
grungerguy is offline Find More Posts by grungerguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:29 AM
Occasional Flyer
Iowa
Joined May 2004
210 Posts
Sure, pics would be nice. What is the model number of the truck? And did you count the gear teeth when you had it open as to get a gear ratio?
Marv829 is offline Find More Posts by Marv829
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:52 AM
Joined Oct 2005
239 Posts
Its a Flashtron, i googled it but didnt find much. there where only around 9 teeth on the pinion (it was a low pitch) dunno how many on the spur, as its all enclosed. ill get some pics up tomorrow, i have lots of college work to do right now . on a lighter note, ive fixed the stuttering buy adding a a 10,000 f capacitor. it tears off the line now . keeping the back wheels ontrack is a full time occupation with that motor on the other end . i think its just as fast as my TC4 in a similar setup, or maybe it just feels fast cz the Acoms servo is rubbish and the wheels struggle for traction... well, best get that work done.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 01:51 PM
Joined Oct 2005
239 Posts
phew, that college work didnt take long, so... ive done the deed and here are the pictures its a lil muddy from the last outing, but i took it out after this, and i can assure you, its now far worse
Old Feb 18, 2007, 02:30 PM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grungerguy
Its a Flashtron, i googled it but didnt find much. there where only around 9 teeth on the pinion (it was a low pitch) dunno how many on the spur, as its all enclosed. ill get some pics up tomorrow, i have lots of college work to do right now . on a lighter note, ive fixed the stuttering buy adding a a 10,000 f capacitor. it tears off the line now . keeping the back wheels ontrack is a full time occupation with that motor on the other end . i think its just as fast as my TC4 in a similar setup, or maybe it just feels fast cz the Acoms servo is rubbish and the wheels struggle for traction... well, best get that work done.
Holy crap!
I used to have a flashtron, they were awesome!
Until I found hobby grade stuff of course...
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Old Feb 18, 2007, 02:31 PM
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
You have to get a vid for me dude!
Old Feb 18, 2007, 02:36 PM
Joined Oct 2005
239 Posts
awesome, ill see if i can get a video of it. It will be in a couple of day if i can. did you ever find these things are indestructible? 'cause so far its taken a hell of a beating, i think ill be upset when it breaks assuming it will...
Old Feb 18, 2007, 02:46 PM
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Yeah dude, they were amazing for radioshack toys, virtually indestructible!
Until my tranny went out on it... Now that was a sad day ya know?
I had more fun with it than my stampede... And that's saying something!
Old Feb 18, 2007, 02:49 PM
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,896 Posts
man i used to have that same truck, tires weren't the same but the chassis looks exactly like that! wish i still have it now...oh well. but it was a very tough truck, the only issue is it has nylon bushings which wear out eventually (if u can find the correct bearings to put it in the tranny and front wheels, that would make it even better) . the tranny is very tough with huge gears and big driveshafts (if u've ever take it apart, u'd know). it's probably even tougher than a tamiya.
TueLe is offline Find More Posts by TueLe
Last edited by TueLe; Feb 18, 2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 02:59 PM
B15
Joined Feb 2007
9 Posts
That chassis was also sold as a "Lightning", and before that as a "Vexxer". I had a Vexxer, I stripped the diff gear landing jumps at full throttle.
B15 is offline Find More Posts by B15
Old Feb 18, 2007, 03:02 PM
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B15
That chassis was also sold as a "Lightning", and before that as a "Vexxer". I had a Vexxer, I stripped the diff gear landing jumps at full throttle.
mine had tires with a v-shaped tread. must've been a lightning. wow just seeing this brought back alot of fun memory
TueLe is offline Find More Posts by TueLe
Old Feb 18, 2007, 04:16 PM
Joined Oct 2005
239 Posts
Yep the gears sure are huge, i saw them when i shoehorned the 5700kv in there, i had to file out the pinion slightly too cz it didn't quite fit on the shaft. ive landed jumps at full throttle, all it done was stalled the motor a little. i think the thing that will kill this project will be the tires, once there worn completely i may not find replacements. it hasn't taken long to obliterate the pins in the middle of the tire. the thing ive found with this car is it loves to roll over, there are certain maneuvers that makes the tires bite and it rolls, if you ease off the throttle around corners the inner wheels lift slightly, if you dont react then, it will roll, very fun, but it can be a pain in the ass . i guess this thing was never designed with 40Mph in mind though .
Last edited by grungerguy; Feb 18, 2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old Feb 18, 2007, 06:30 PM
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Yep the gears sure are huge, i saw them when i shoehorned the 5700kv in there, i had to file out the pinion slightly too cz it didn't quite fit on the shaft. ive landed jumps at full throttle, all it done was stalled the motor a little. i think the thing that will kill this project will be the tires, once there worn completely i may not find replacements. it hasn't taken long to obliterate the pins in the middle of the tire. the thing ive found with this car is it loves to roll over, there are certain maneuvers that makes the tires bite and it rolls, if you ease off the throttle around corners the inner wheels lift slightly, if you dont react then, it will roll, very fun, but it can be a pain in the ass . i guess this thing was never designed with 40Mph in mind though .
Sheesh dude..... That is so cool!
I'm about to do something crazy like that to one of my old radioshack cars now.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 06:46 PM
Joined Oct 2005
239 Posts
awesome! whats the plan? or is it top secret involving military brushless equipment and rocket fuel and other potentially lethal items? . maybe this could catch on, to become a new type of RC phenomena. buying the cheapest rc car you can and making it kick ass. a scoring system could be made, where you take the speed in mph and divide by the cost of the car .
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:38 PM
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Quote:
awesome! whats the plan? or is it top secret involving military brushless equipment and rocket fuel and other potentially lethal items? . maybe this could catch on, to become a new type of RC phenomena. buying the cheapest rc car you can and making it kick ass. a scoring system could be made, where you take the speed in mph and divide by the cost of the car .
Haha, clever idea.
Maybe we CAN get enough people to take part in this?

I may put dual feigao 5400 or 4200 kv motors in a cheapy little porsche from radioshack.
Or dual 540 brushed motors in a cheapy small humvee from radioshack.
Maybe I should do both??
They will all be on a 3s.