HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2007, 03:22 AM
SDJ
Australia
Joined Feb 2007
139 Posts
Discussion
Build log My first RC boat.

Hi, just thought I would post a build log of my first scratch built boat, I am new to RC and had to learn about how to build as well as get pretty inventive!, I found that pens and textas make great air vents and ABS plastic welding rod hot formed around a beer bottle neck makes good railing. I also learnt that trying to pin and use rubber bands to hold bent balsa to the hull did not always work the way it should have. we also used to have a wind chime outside with 5 small diameter aluminium tubes, it now has only 3 I looked at a lot of plastic boats and ARF stuff and did not want a boat the same as 3000 other people, I dont know what it is about scatch building from plans but I enjoy it.

Crash boat you tube link
Miami crashboat model (0 min 45 sec)

Although the model goes well someone told me it would go better with different props, apparently I am using surface props if it aint broke, dont fix it is my motto.
SDJ is offline Find More Posts by SDJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2007, 04:22 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
SDJ:
Very good job for a first scratch build.
So what is you next project?
And welcome to the forum.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Feb 18, 2007, 07:07 AM
Joined Jan 2007
595 Posts
boy you did an exelent job ...thanks for the photos...
larryg is offline Find More Posts by larryg
Old Feb 18, 2007, 07:11 AM
Joined Jan 2007
595 Posts
sdj what did you seal your hull with ?? its the orange stuff airplane covering or fiberglass cloth hard to tell in the pic.... i am new to building scratch so trying to lurne all the things i can ... thanks again
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:58 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,268 Posts
Quote:
I am new to RC and had to learn about how to build as well
Well, this explains it. Some people are just natural born scratch builders. Others. like myself, are hopeless dimwits.

Very nice job, SJD!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Feb 18, 2007, 02:09 PM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
If I tell you how absolutely 'tacky' and poorly built it is, would you give it to me?? ... I didn't thinks so. Well, t'ain't bad, even if you aren't very kind and considerate enough to let me have it.
- 'Doc

how 'bout if I offer to pay for the shipping?
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Feb 18, 2007, 03:30 PM
SDJ
Australia
Joined Feb 2007
139 Posts
Thanks for all the comments, Larryg the orange stuff is plain old tissue from the newsagentcy, I was told to put in the hull dry and when I paint the dope over it, it would soak through and stick, right? wrong had to whip it off and paint hull with dope then place tissue over and paint again.
When building a model I found you have 2 choices, try and shape the balsa to look like a boat or cut away the bits that dont look like a boat.
Doc build a really powerfull transmitter and sail it over, watch via google earth watch, I will attach a barge full of batteries, watch out for icebergs, lol.
Regards Steve.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 04:42 PM
Joined Jan 2007
595 Posts
sdj what is the plan name ? i really like your boat allmost looks like a small PT style hull . thanks again
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:52 PM
SDJ
Australia
Joined Feb 2007
139 Posts
Plan name

Hi Larryg its a Miami crashboat as featured in Model boats magazine June 2006, I also liked it because it looks like a pt boat and would not be 2 hard for halfway decent scratch builder to make into a PT boat. follow this link http://www.hobbygroup.org/srcbm/plans.html to get plans.

I also agree with the plan author and think this hull would make a good open cockpit launch, thin wood veneers with high gloss finish etc etc.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:16 AM
SDJ
Australia
Joined Feb 2007
139 Posts
Does anyone have an answer regarding the props I am using?? as I said the boat goes well but I have been told these are surface piercing props?? would it go better with 3 bladed props??
Old Apr 09, 2007, 04:28 PM
Joined Nov 2005
186 Posts
why use tissue paper? does this produce a nice effect wen painting on wood or is this for strength?
remondo is offline Find More Posts by remondo
Old Apr 09, 2007, 05:04 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJ
Does anyone have an answer regarding the props I am using?? as I said the boat goes well but I have been told these are surface piercing props?? would it go better with 3 bladed props??
With small props it's important to select a prop that does the job.
Most likely a three bladed one will give you longer runtime, but less topspeed.

I use hydroprops (surface piercing props) quite a lot on small boats with subsurface drive, for speed they're usually a better choice than the three bladed ones.

Just get a few and test it.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Apr 09, 2007, 06:41 PM
SDJ
Australia
Joined Feb 2007
139 Posts
tissue paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by remondo
why use tissue paper? does this produce a nice effect wen painting on wood or is this for strength?
Hi remondo, tissue hides the wood grain efect of balsa and helps protect it, from what I have been told, fibreglass does a better job, but my motto is learn slowly buid correctly. (does not always work)
Old Apr 09, 2007, 06:45 PM
SDJ
Australia
Joined Feb 2007
139 Posts
props

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled
With small props it's important to select a prop that does the job.
Most likely a three bladed one will give you longer runtime, but less topspeed.

I use hydroprops (surface piercing props) quite a lot on small boats with subsurface drive, for speed they're usually a better choice than the three bladed ones.

Just get a few and test it.

Regards, Jan.
thanks Jan, the boat goes well so I am going to leave it alome for now, though I am going to upgrade the motors and electrics to hobby grade stuff instead of the chinese stuff that it has now, that way when I find other boaters (serious lack off them around here!!) I wont get interferance blues.

Regards Steve.
Old Apr 09, 2007, 06:51 PM
Joined Nov 2005
186 Posts
dammit I just built a boat from obechi but didn't cover the wood with anything of the sort. I'll just hav to do a few coats of undercoat and sand smooth after each one.
remondo is offline Find More Posts by remondo