SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:54 PM
HHK
Joined Jan 2005
8 Posts
Discussion
Davey Systems Hammers (20 & 40)

I searched the forums for information on either of the Hammer Sport Pattern designs Davey Sytems used to kit, to no avail.
So - anyone have any leads on plans or kits, or cares to relate their experience with these designs?
I lost a Hammer 20 to a battery switch failure a few years ago. The plane was one of my favorites due to it's true flying qualities: it did what you told it to do, and nothing else. Since that Hammer I have not flown another design that had truly no control cross-coupling, even without any mixing to correct it(I flew mine with a basic Hitec 4 channel radio). The only mean charateristic it had was a sure tip-stall if you touched the rudder at slow speed. I suspect the fact that the rudder only induced yaw, coupled with a double taper wing, caused the inside tip to stall instantly.
I had heard others complaining of Hammers flying poorly, but I suspect it had to do with how tru the plane was built.
I'd like to build another Hammer, possibly the 40 size version. does anyone know of plans or kits floating around?
HHK is offline Find More Posts by HHK
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2007, 09:18 AM
Aberdeen, WA
Joined Sep 2001
315 Posts
You see the hammer kits on ebay every once in a while.
good luck.
Ben
benlo2d is offline Find More Posts by benlo2d
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:00 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
I've had 2 Hammer 20s and I thought they were great flying planes. Really pure inputs, one of the first planes I had that I could just input rudder and do a flat turn with no tendency to roll out. Same in knife edge.

I have acquired 2 more kits over the years, but recently sent one to a buddy in Mexico and am keeping the other one. The one I sent to Mexico looked like somebody had been planning on an electric conversion, the plans were pretty marked up. The guy who has it posts here as "bolio", you might ask him about the changes on the plans.

Here's a couple of pretty smal pics of mine (sorry, neither is E, I used an OS 40 VF with an enclosed pipe).
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:22 PM
Colfax, WA
Joined Oct 2001
622 Posts
Yeah the Hammer series was a great flying model airplane!

Rob
a2zprod is offline Find More Posts by a2zprod
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:51 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,502 Posts
HHK

I think Flying Models published all of the various sizes of Dick Sarpolus' Hammers. Great flying planes. Check their plans listings and I think they are there. As per all of Dicks deisgns, real simple builds and great fliers.

I checked.

The Hammer 20 is plan # CF637 $9 published in the 7/83 issue

The Hammer 40 is plan # CF694 $9 published in the 5/85 issue

The Sledge Hammer is plan # CF786 $12 published in the 10/88 issue

The Jack Hammer is plan # CF836 $12 published in the 9/90 issue

The Tack Hammer is plan # CF816 $7 published in th 12/89 issue

The Electric Hammer is plan # CF775 $9 published in the 5/88 issue

Have the bones of the Sledge hammer prototype that I built for Dick in the shop awaiting repair!! A flying buddy built a scad of the Hammer 20 and 40's back in the 1980's and he loved them all. Hope this is of some help.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Last edited by Brian Allen; Mar 28, 2007 at 05:25 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 09:19 PM
HHK
Joined Jan 2005
8 Posts
Thanks for the info on plans - and thanks for the feedback on Hammers!

Your experiences with your planes just motivate me even more to build another one! The one person I had met that didn't think his Hammer flew well at all must have done something wrong in the building process.

One guy I use to fly with liked my Hammer so much that he tried to build a twin-engined electric version by modifying a 20 size kit. he used 2 550 can motors, extended the wingspan a little, but while it did fly, it was just too heavy. With brushless motors and Li-Polys, it might be worth another try. However, I did just pick up an Enya 25BB at Sheldon's moving sale - a Hammer 20 would make a great home for it!

Thanks again!
Harald
HHK is offline Find More Posts by HHK
Old Mar 27, 2007, 09:57 PM
San Diego Calif.
Joined Mar 2007
39 Posts
Hammer kits

I have one Hammer 20 and one Hammer 40 in kit form.I will be looking into getting copies of the plans for someone on another board next week.I can give you a price if you are interested in copies.It will be cost plus shipping,that's it.
70's Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 70's Flyer
Old Jan 07, 2009, 08:30 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2 Posts
Hammer 40/60/90 and mods

This is a hammer 40 that i built in the early 90's. It has over 1000 flights and has been recovered/ overhauled 3 times. This plane has been flown with a .45, .60, .61 and .90 engine. In the pic it is sporting a .61 Super Tigre and has Mac muffler. The plane has never gotten "old" to me and performs heavenly. Noticed that i took out the taper on the wing tips. I wished i could find another kit as each overhaul requires more and more TLC. This one will be retired after next overhaul (ceiling hanger).
fls360 is offline Find More Posts by fls360
Last edited by fls360; Jan 08, 2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:34 PM
Joined May 2008
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Flyer
I have one Hammer 20 and one Hammer 40 in kit form.I will be looking into getting copies of the plans for someone on another board next week.I can give you a price if you are interested in copies.It will be cost plus shipping,that's it.

I'd buy a set of plans. I love this plane. I first built this in 1991 or 92 and flew the snot out of it. Then it sat at my friends house for years. In 2006 I stripped it down and rebuilt it.
DDairplanes is offline Find More Posts by DDairplanes
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:44 PM
Joined May 2008
2 Posts
Here are some before and after shots...
DDairplanes is offline Find More Posts by DDairplanes