Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 17, 2007, 02:42 PM
Flyin brick
Joined Feb 2005
734 Posts
Question
Transmitter for planes and helis

Hi guys, I'm flying planes but recently Santa brought me a Lama (lil co-axial heli) and now I'm sure I wan't to go on heli flying but with something bigger/better, I thought about Dragonus
So now a question: I've got a Futaba 6 EXAP which is a plane Tx and has no heli mixing. Obviously I need a heli capable one..... Which one could you recommend? I don't need something extremely sophysticated, but it has to be useful, capable of both heli and fixed wing mixing coz I don't want to have a dozen of Tx's......and on 72 Mhz...
What do ya think about Optic6???? Pro's and Con's??? Other options??? I tried to sort it out on my own but after a couple of evenings of reading through rcgroups I've got only a big mess in my head

Tha
bobber is offline Find More Posts by bobber
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2007, 04:58 PM
Flys with Thumbs
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
JR 7202 is quite nice, meets your "on 72" with full synth capability (in software) and is reasonably priced.

However, there are LOTS of radios in the "mid price" area, all with great capability. You'll get as many opinions on this as you will by asking "What 15-20 thousand car should I buy"?

Two thoughts on how to pick:

1) Buy all the radio you can afford. "Better" radios are actually far easier to set up for people new to helicopters than "beginner" radios. One of the great ironies of this hobby...

2) Do you fly with a group? If so, setup help is invaluable, and therefore you may wish to strongly consider sticking to a brand (or even specific model) that several other heli flyers use. At most large organizations, Futaba and JR are safe bets, so this may not help narrow your choices that much.
Danal Estes is offline Find More Posts by Danal Estes