HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2007, 06:06 AM
Vancouver
Joined Dec 2003
410 Posts
Discussion
Ryan PT - 22 scratchbuild

I have to say firstly, that I have not built the wing. I've had a GWS pico cub wing lying around my studio for months, waiting to build something around it. I decided on the Ryan PT - 22. I fell in love with the look of this plane when I came across the October 2004 Flying Scale Models. I've glued dpron to the bottom of the wing, added landing gear, built the profile from blue ff foam, and bent Depron ( thank you gpw ) around blue ff formers. I covered the depron with Econokote, and sprayed on testors chrome paint. The wing is covered with yellow Econokote. I used GWS hardware(connectors for wing struts) with 1/16" graphite rod for the above wing bracing. I've made a very simple motor mount for a GWS outrunner(M003) and plan to use 7.4 volt Lipos. Haven't wighed in yet, but it seems pretty light. I'm really pleased with the Depron/Econokote combination.
talehevvy is offline Find More Posts by talehevvy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:52 AM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
The wing is already the correct color! Looks nice. A favorite of mine, high on the "to build" list. I've used replacement wings a number of times, as project motivators.

In advance, I hope nobody trys to tell you to post this in Foamies, as its very good work at a quite scale build, and the Foamies is a bunch of flatties that are miles off scale. If anything, they need a "Scale Foamie" forum here.

I like it.

Bill
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old Feb 25, 2007, 04:51 AM
Vancouver
Joined Dec 2003
410 Posts
The Kinner radial

Well...I have this plane ready for it's maiden....still a bit of details to add. I've been looking at the nose cowl and wishing there was an easy way to make a decent light dummy radial engine. Then, it came to me, as I was recalling my first post on here....making foam wheels on my foredom drill. Pretty simple method...quick and simple...works for me. It could be WAY more scale...but I'm keeping it in line with the rest of the plane as far as degree of detail. I had fun with the method...bending plastic tube at the stove was managed by stuffing toilet tissue into it tightly to maintain shape. 1/16 bamboo sticks glued into the rear of the cylinder heads are epoxied to the exaust pipes. Bottom line is that it improves the overall look of my little Ryan a lot. I'm adding a pilot, markings, and detail to the landing gear. if she doesn't crash tomorrow that is.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 06:12 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
Looks like the most fun that anyone cuold have with a left-over Cub wing. Excellent use of improvisation and making one thing into another, using q bit of imagination instead of throwing money at it. I like it!
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:22 AM
Vancouver
Joined Dec 2003
410 Posts
Thanks very much Work in Progress !
Old Mar 20, 2007, 03:55 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
flippin' sweet!
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:24 PM
Vancouver
Joined Dec 2003
410 Posts
Thank you warhead.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 05:30 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
talehevvy,
Nice mate, very nice indeed. Even moreso because it ties in nicely with the model on my building board at the moment, a non scale job known as Ryan's Daughter. Very loosely based on the PT22, it's a little bigger (and probably much heavier) than yours - 52" span and with a PJS 1500 fitted.
Mine's still at the bare bones stage but you have inspired me to press on with construction. Pat Lynch did build one but has yet to fly it successfully. Here's a photo of his model after the repairs.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 20, 2007, 05:44 PM
Vancouver
Joined Dec 2003
410 Posts
Mr. Rake...I'm humbled. I thank you very much for your kind remarks. I have always enjoyed your features in Flying Scale Models, and found your work to be truly inspiring. Much appreciated.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:36 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
One question: how did you make the cowl? Is that recycled from a plastic pill bottle or did you form it over a plug? I recently bought several "discontinued" wing sets at Tower Hobbies... a super cheap way to get pre-made wings to re-purpose into scratch-built FFF planes:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUX49&P=0

This isn't the actual wing I bought, but similar - the set I bought included the tail feathers too for about $1.50 per set, 33" WS... I bought 6 to cut up for my own creations. I had been thinking about making a PT-16 or PT-20 or STA, but this PT-22 looks so sharp I may have to build one for myself. It looks simple enough to build from a 3-view... does anyone have one?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:11 PM
Vancouver
Joined Dec 2003
410 Posts
Hi warhead...I used a plastic funnel from a dollar store. I bought 3-4 different sizes. I have one set aside for when I make a Me 163 Komet. I used a 3 d view from a magazine.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:51 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
my hero...
Old Mar 08, 2011, 12:56 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
talehevvy,

Nice work!

I picked up a Ryan's Daughter kit last year. It's just waiting for my balsa skills to come up to speed.

Brodak sells a full-wing/fuse control-line PT-22 that is the only scale model I could find in the 45-60" range.

Fiddler's Green has a nice PT-22 paper card model that could be blown up for a quick PT-22 foamie build as well.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:36 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,430 Posts
Very nice!

Bashed one our of a STA:
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:11 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
I like that. Don''t see the STA on your site though - do you have a link?
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus