HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2002, 04:42 PM
Mountain View, CA
Joined Aug 2002
363 Posts
What batteries are you using in your GWS zero?

I'm currently using an 8-cell pack of green Sanyo 720 mAh NiMh 2/3 AAA batts, am getting a good amount of power, and it lasts for about 6 mins. I bought an unpainted Zero with the 370. What packs are you using? I have some CG issues and am actually using an extra AA battery stuck to the motor as ballast so I was thinking of using larger sized cells which would both fix my CG and give me longer flight times. AA 1200 NiMhs maybe?
sizam is offline Find More Posts by sizam
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2002, 06:02 PM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,041 Posts
Sizam,

I'm using 8-call 600 mAh NiMh packs from www.balsapr.com and have the same issue. I needed 3/4 oz of lead on the nose to get and acceptabe c.g. with my Zero. If I had to do it again, the weight would be better spent on heavier batteries.

Carl
cfossa is offline Find More Posts by cfossa
Old Oct 01, 2002, 06:25 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2002
29 Posts
bigger batteries

I'm using an 8cell 720Mah pack in my Zero.

I think the tricky part with bigger batteries will be getting the weight far enough forward to keep the CG in place.

I already had to add weight as far forward as I could with the 720s, so I imagine bigger batteries will extend further back pushing weight towards the tail.

Good luck. I'm anxious to see how the bigger batteries work for you.

Cheers.
la-flyer is offline Find More Posts by la-flyer
Old Oct 01, 2002, 06:51 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
8 cell pack of 700mah Energizer AAA NiMH and Ray-O-Vac. Like the Energizers better than the other.

Curious about the C.G. issues - I have my 8 cell pack (4 rows of 2) just inside the battery tray - could go farther forward and still have room.

Did you use heavy servos on the rudder and elevator (assuming you used rudder)?

Good luck!

Steve McBride
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Oct 01, 2002, 08:26 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
zagi!!

i use the8 cell n-500r 500 mah nicad packs from Trick rc (www.trickrc.com)

when the motor is wanting to, it flies great..... no cog issues here
i am back at 52mm and like the aerobatic capability with slightly heavier tail.

need new motor right now though

Belgy
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Oct 01, 2002, 09:12 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,714 Posts
Also using the 700ma Ray-o-vac nimh AAA. Solder together like this IIIIIIII 8 cells. I like these a lot, seem less picky about charging that the 720's which seem to false peak a lot. the Ray-o-vacs took 770 right off no false peak. I also opened the batt compartment all the way thru the firewall. Now I can slip the pack well into the cowl area, no more CG probs and no nose weight. If you do this use a piece of strapping tape wraped around the pack with a tail long enogh to grab when time to pull the pack out. I also was careful to open up enogh to allow air to flow over the pack. Just remove the cowl and use an exact blade to open the existing hole. If you build a flat pack the hole will need to be opened almost to the very edge of the cowl. I had to sand the compartment forward area as it got a little tight but it work great.
have not timed it yet but should be good duration, last flight cut short due to darkness, but after landing the pack was barely warm, so should last a while.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Oct 02, 2002, 08:58 PM
Marshfield, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Sep 2002
1,558 Posts
7cell 600 ma nicd

Been using 7cell 600 ma nicd packs with stock eps 300c at 6 minutes foight time. I see you all are uising nimh packs at 8 cells, i.e. 9 volts+. Can the eps 300 hold up to this voltage ok? Right tnow i like the combo inm using, extruding pack thorugh teh fireall into cowling as suggested. cg 45-50 max. Would i loose anyhtin by going 7cell nimh around 700ma?
Thanks
Stuka
stuka is offline Find More Posts by stuka
Old Oct 02, 2002, 10:22 PM
a plantin we will go
shelbyville. lnd
Joined Jul 2002
25 Posts
8 cell 2/3a 1000 mah nimh, 370 motor 10/8 apc prop.
foamfarmer is offline Find More Posts by foamfarmer
Old Oct 03, 2002, 12:19 AM
Joined Sep 2002
81 Posts
just drop in a geared speed 400 center of gravity is fixed !!!

8 600AEs and your off !
rilak0 is offline Find More Posts by rilak0