SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:59 PM
Canton Township, Michigan
Joined Sep 2005
134 Posts
Build Log
Lady Margaret-Wooden Steam Drifter

I noted recently that someone on the Forum was lamenting the fact that wooden hulled boats were going the way of the 8 track recorder and CB radio. That prompted me to start a thread of my present build.
The "Lady" is a handmade kit produced in 1984 by Marvon Models in the UK.
Only 50 kits were made; mine being #20 as certified by Tom Gorman, one of the owners of Marvon. Tom, like all of us, is getting up in years, but he still is an active builder and writer.
I purchased the kit almost three years ago on ebay and feel very fortunate I was the lucky bidder since I have not seen any more listings for any Marvon Model to date.
I contacted Mr. Gorman after the purchase in an effort to track the chain of ownership of the "Lady". I was sucessful.
Marvon Models motto was "Models for the Modeler". I have discovered what that means. You have to be very good (not me), or very experienced (ditto) or this boat will be a challenge.
Before continuing, I must admit I thought long and hard before starting this kit. If only 50 existed 23 years ago, it's entirely possible mine may be the only one still in kit form, and possibly quite valuable. But I didn't take up modeling to make money, so here goes...
ajferkovich is offline Find More Posts by ajferkovich
Last edited by ajferkovich; Feb 16, 2007 at 05:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:16 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,040 Posts
This is going to be good!

Kits were made to be built! Good for you for not letting it be just another box of wood on the shelf!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:20 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,583 Posts
Hope you copied/ traced out the ribs and stations so you can build a second one
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:34 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
This is going to be good!
Ditto!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Feb 16, 2007, 06:05 AM
Winnipeg Canada
Joined Mar 2006
250 Posts
I love those old steam drifters....And you look like you're doing a real good job! Please post more pix as you go along -- this looks like it was a really "high quality" kit!
killick is offline Find More Posts by killick
Old Feb 16, 2007, 07:15 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
The steam drifter has to be a rite-of-passage model for every British modeler, and I never tire of seeing them in magazines and in the flesh, so to speak. There is just enough deck furniture to add interest without totally confusing you.

Somewhere, I have a set of drawings of a drifter named "Ocean Reward" or "Ocean Raleigh" that I bought from Taubman's some 25 or 30 years ago.
der kapitan is online now Find More Posts by der kapitan
Last edited by der kapitan; Feb 22, 2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 07:18 AM
Joined Jan 2006
864 Posts
I second Green Boats post. Copy all the wood parts so these are not lost. In case of an error you can make back ups. If you wish to make another model like this you will have hard copies.

Don
Tug Guy is offline Find More Posts by Tug Guy
Old Feb 16, 2007, 05:45 PM
Joined Sep 2005
134 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I really enjoy reading your opinions and comments.
When I first got the kit I decided that when I started the build that as I removed a piece from the box, I would reproduce it and use the new one for the build; leaving the kit all original. But after poring over the plans, photographs and directions for over a year I determined that there was enough there for a determined modeler to make a successful build.
Point of interest. If you have the SIS CD you can go to the 1986 Nov-Dec issue and walla, there is the Lady. At least it is the same kit. David Deadman did a super build and in the process won an award. If you blow up the mags cover you will see what I am shooting for.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 06:02 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,040 Posts
looking good! what is the red 'stuff' on the bulwarks? Paint? filler?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:31 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
News to me that the wooden hulled boats are going the way of the 8-track and CB Radio...

I believe someone made the same pronouncement about balsa stick kits for aircraft when the fiberglass and foam planes came out enmasse. So far, I still see plenty of stick kits surrounding the foam planes!

There is nothing like working with wood, it just has a feel that I can't get out of any other material. I'm not a wood modeler, I'm a wood worker though. I don't have the kind of time (or patience probably) to build a boat from wood kit or plans. That doesn't mean I don't admire wood hulls, wood boats or the modelers who tackle them. My hat is off and I bow to all you wood hull modelers. Keep the skill alive...
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Feb 17, 2007, 08:24 AM
Joined Sep 2005
134 Posts
Aero, The bulwarks are laid out flat and bulkheads spaced and glued on. Then the whole strip (actually 3 pieces) are glued onto the cover board. Much easier to air brush one coat before attaching. Now I just redo with a brush.

Shaun, I.m with you 100%. When I was growing up hardwood floors were the norm. Then they were covered with carpeting. Now we have plastic and whatever man made materials on our floors, cabinets and yes, boat hulls. But you hit the nail on the head (that's a woodworking term-HA). People don't have time to wait for steamed wood to bend, dry and be sanded. p.s. What kind of woodworking to you do?

For you steam buffs, this is what the modeler had in mind for the prototype.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 08:54 AM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
What a lovely ship!

My eyes aren't what they used to be. What is the make of that steam engine?
That's what I call real purty!
Frank
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Feb 17, 2007, 08:56 AM
Joined Jan 2006
864 Posts
Look at the angle of that U joint. I hope that steam plant wasn't firmly in place.

Don
Old Feb 17, 2007, 09:35 AM
Joined Jan 2006
864 Posts
It is a Maxwell Hemmens Caton steam engine and boiler.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hurd
My eyes aren't what they used to be. What is the make of that steam engine?
That's what I call real purty!
Frank
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:52 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,294 Posts
What did wood boat model builders use before we had all those sliding clamps?
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot