HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:57 AM
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined May 2001
332 Posts
Discussion
Question for UK members - what mode are RTF micros sold with in England?

It seems like all of the popular RTF micro's sold in the US are Mode 2.

I fly Mode 1 and would like to be able to avoid hacking the RTF transmitters to convert them to Mode 1.

Am I correct in assuming that Mode 1 is the standard in the UK (as well as the rest of Europe)? If so, I think I will try to purchase from the UK via some English friends.

Also, I assume that the chargers would also be different, although that issue is easier to solve.

thanks!

John
John Webb is offline Find More Posts by John Webb
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2007, 02:29 PM
Brum UK
Joined Jan 2001
625 Posts
People use mode 1 & 2, the model that I bought I just set up on my Futaba transmitter. You would need to ask the dealer. It is probably more common to have Mode 2 on the transmiter with the cyclic set up on a single stick.

I fly mode 1 fixed wing and mode 2 heli
Mike
Mike Payne is offline Find More Posts by Mike Payne
Old Feb 15, 2007, 04:30 PM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
Mode 2 is more common. Its not a UK/US thing - you can buy mode 1 or 2 in the UK it is up to you.

The real problem is - US uses a frequency 72mhz thats illegal for airborne models in the UK, and UK uses 35mhz which correct me if i am wrong but the USA doesnt use?

Butuz
Butuz is offline Find More Posts by Butuz
Old Feb 15, 2007, 05:26 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined May 2001
332 Posts
good point Butuz -

I didn't think about the frequency difference.

I glad to hear that both modes are available in the UK.

For some reason over here all of the 'ready to fly products' are only available with Mode 2.

John
John Webb is offline Find More Posts by John Webb
Old Feb 15, 2007, 06:32 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Payne
I fly mode 1 fixed wing and mode 2 heli
Mike
Me too. Just so you don't think this is a weird arrangement.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 16, 2007, 04:25 AM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Both my helis are mode II (XRB SR Lama and EF Sabre) and 35 MHz. The Blade CX2 my friend bought was mode II also, but 2.4 GHz radio of course.

There are threads on converting Tx between the modes - some are easier than others.
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver