HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 03:13 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,311 Posts
Yeah, your both correct. I'm a little concerned that the front of the spinner may part company with the base. As this spinner seems a popular choice for the GWS FW190 I wonder if anybody has had such a problem or can offer a suggestion for making it more secure.
By the way the Parkzone cowl is smaller than the GWS on but it does have the dummy fan and will fit inside. Might trim it down and see if this improve the looks and rigidity. I've already done the fabric weave & epoxy mod.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:42 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,509 Posts
Andy

If the base of the spinner is warped (from tightening down the nut) the spinner WILL depart company. I've had that once (or three) times. My solution was to use a series of washers - propeller shaft adapters actually - to make a firm backing for the nut to press onto. Once that was accomplished, the spinner stayed put just fine.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Apr 27, 2008, 08:37 AM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Yeah, your both correct. I'm a little concerned that the front of the spinner may part company with the base. As this spinner seems a popular choice for the GWS FW190 I wonder if anybody has had such a problem or can offer a suggestion for making it more secure.
By the way the Parkzone cowl is smaller than the GWS on but it does have the dummy fan and will fit inside. Might trim it down and see if this improve the looks and rigidity. I've already done the fabric weave & epoxy mod.
Andy
Hi Andy,

I just happen to have done something like you mention with the PZ cowl but with a balsa cowl I made myself. I (like everyone else) also used the PZ spinner and pilot.
Chris F is offline Find More Posts by Chris F
Last edited by Chris F; Apr 27, 2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:54 PM
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
I've had a 190 about a year and PZ has made more money off of me buying their spinners than GSW did off the plane. Recently when I was messing with my newest spinner I noticed that I could twist it so that the lugs move past the pop on location and lock the spinner parts together. Ever since then I have been wanting to ask if that is the way it is actually supposed to go together. That doesn't seem to work with the old spinner sections I have, but you may want to try that if that is not the way you are currently putting them together
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:01 PM
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2006
69 Posts
GWS-190, fully dressed up

Hello together

After the unfortunate demise of my last GWS 190 (got shredded on the ground by a .61 armed Ugly stick ) I decided that the next one would be equipped with retracts and flaps. Additionally it should receive some extra work in respect to the surface finish and scale looks.

And after 2 months of "off and on" work the 190 is finally ready for the roll out.

Here some specs for the plane:

Motor: Eflite Park 480, 30A ESC and 11,1V 2250mAh Lipo 11x7" APC E prop

Specials: -EPF electric retracts with sprung Aluminium struts.
-Workable flaps
-The whole plane got covered with Japan paper and Acrylic floor
polish.
-Cowl shortened to scale lenght
-PZ spinner, repainted

And now the letdown: Weight ready to fly: 990 gramms or whopping 35 ounces. Pretty heavy, but the plane should be able to fly it...I just hope the flaps will allow me also to land it...

Anyway, next weekend will show if and how it will fly.

Greetings Robin
Werter is offline Find More Posts by Werter
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:44 PM
Der Flieger kommt schnell
Staten Island
Joined Jun 2005
383 Posts
Good Luck with your new (renewed) creation!
WWIFlyin'Ace is offline Find More Posts by WWIFlyin'Ace
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:29 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,311 Posts
Hi Condre'
No twist & lock function on my Parkzone spinner so I cut a thread into a small section of alloy tube and screwed it onto the prop adapter. I then epoxyed a small length of wood dowel into the other end & drilled a very small hole through the centre of the spinner. I then secured the spinner with a small screw. Just hope this holds!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:51 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,062 Posts
Hi Robin,

Good job on yout 190 I'm interested to see how yours flies because mine is about the same weight. I'm keen to see how the flaps go too because mine also has them. I'm still trying to find time to program my radio and then I will try mine too.

Good luck
Chris F is offline Find More Posts by Chris F
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:52 AM
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
What about painting the PZ spinner? The Tamiya acrylics I use don't stick to it very well and masking tape pulls it off, preventing me from painting a spiral on it.
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Old Apr 30, 2008, 01:47 PM
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2006
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condre'
What about painting the PZ spinner? The Tamiya acrylics I use don't stick to it very well and masking tape pulls it off, preventing me from painting a spiral on it.
I am using cheap plastic primer from the rattle can as first coat.
Usually plastic primer can be found in the automotive corner at every hardware shop or "do it yourself" outlet. It is used to prime plastic car parts the prior to painting....it does really bite the plastic and givves a perfectly paintable surface for every type of color. I am using this kind of primer for all my props and spinner if I am in need of oa different color. The paint job does even survive the occasional nose over or prop strike in the grass runway.

Robin
Werter is offline Find More Posts by Werter
Last edited by Werter; Apr 30, 2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Typos corrected
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:50 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werter
I am using cheap plastic primer from the rattle can as first coat.
Usually plastic primer can be found in the automotive corner at every hardware shop or "do it yourself" outlet. It is used to prime plastic car parts the prior to painting....it does really bite the plastic and givves a perfectly paintable surface for every type of color. I am using this kind of primer for all my props and spinner if I am in need of oa different color. The paint job does even survive the occasional nose over or prop strike in the grass runway.

Robin
This type of Auto Plastic Primer also works well on the GWS clear plastic cowls and canopies.

Tamiya also make a primer that is suitable for plastics or metal.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old May 04, 2008, 05:41 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,311 Posts
Well at long last the weather co-operated - the wind eased,the rain stopped and the sun actually came out. Time to maiden the FW190!
My brother was on hand to hand launch just in case I needed to make any quick adjustments. I shouldn't have worried as all it needed was a gentle toss and I didn't even need to adjust any trims.
Wow, what a brilliant plane. Huge or tight loops on low rates and a decent roll rate. I especially liked doing a half roll at the top of a loop and bringing her back towards in a screaming dive. Flies most aerobatic manoevres at 1/2 power and has good glide for an easy touch down. 150 watts seems more than enough. Also nice and quiet so should be ok for those early morning park sorties.
Well done GWS and thanks to all the previous posters foe making my 1st GWS build go smoothly.
Old May 05, 2008, 12:11 AM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2005
781 Posts
Need Parts

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement cowl and ball shaped cowl attachment parts??? Thanks

Randy
Meatball is offline Find More Posts by Meatball
Old May 05, 2008, 01:46 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement cowl and ball shaped cowl attachment parts??? Thanks

Randy
What country do you live in? This will make a difference on where you can easily get a new cowl.

If you live in the USA try http://www.caliberhobby.com/gws190parts.html.

If you live in Great Britain try J Perkins Distribution

If you live elsewhere in the world try an email to service@gws.com.tw.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; May 05, 2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old May 05, 2008, 02:17 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,704 Posts
Thanks Ken for your words.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN