HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 03, 2007, 07:24 AM
Joined Aug 2006
29 Posts
I used gunze color H404 Khaki Brown and H79 Sand Yellow for the basic, Light parts. At the end I runned out of Paint, so I used Art Acryl to mix some simular Color. For the dark shades I used a Can 'Ghiant 025 Braun' .

This work was a kind of Experimental but i like the different shades. Sometimes you have to use what you get at the frontline ;-)
El_Luz is offline Find More Posts by El_Luz
Last edited by El_Luz; Sep 03, 2007 at 04:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2007, 02:12 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,352 Posts
Another 190 maiden!! 9602 ft in Rocky Mnts

Well after about 2 months I got to finaly maiden my 190.

Great flying plane! Mine is abit of a pig at about 30 oz but it flew great. Even at 30 oz I couldn't get this thing to to do anything bad, stall where a straight forward mush until the nose would drop and gain speed. Didn't hurt either that I'm pushing alittle over 300watts in her. Goes where I want it to in a hurry.

Need to beef up the landing gear though.

Good job GWS!
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Sep 03, 2007, 08:55 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Here's a short onboard video from my 190; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...27#post8112473

This is what happens when you put a camera on the tail of your plane!

It happened a couple months ago and the plane is still happy so aside from a wild half minute, all went well!
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Sep 07, 2007, 02:43 AM
Rainy Western Oregon
Joined Feb 2005
207 Posts
Dumb Question

I have to ask . I am just building my 190 and have never seen a kit with a clear cowl, except for World models gas planes and it's just a pattern cut out cowl. So here is the question how do you get the paint to stick to it, just shoot it or rough it up with some sandpaper or what?

I have got to say I just finished reading this thread and there are some suoer paint jobs that you guy's have done, I hope I can do at least half as well. I have been flying quit a while but somwhow never had a warbird before and when I saw this new GWS FW-190 and the size of it I had to get one.

Someone back in the thread said this flys as nice as the Formosa 2, I have one of those . The Formosa 2 is rapidly becoming one of my go to planes. Fly's like it's on rails.

I have to hand it to GWS and Mr. Lin they are a company that gives the model buffs what they want . Good Job!

GWS Birds so far:
Slow Stick - Long since dead hit a construction site outhouse
Pico Moth - Committed suicide on one to many power poles
Beaver - Now on floats and still going strong with brushed motor
Formosa 2 - The best yet
FW-190 - Under construction
Volts is offline Find More Posts by Volts
Old Sep 07, 2007, 08:33 AM
Captured RAF FW - 190
Worcestershire, UK
Joined Nov 2006
300 Posts
With RC car (transparent) shells it was always best to spray from the inside.

But I too have clear T-6, 262, & likely my P-38 parts also, I've not get that far yet (not had that much time recently )

But painting from inside always gave a good finish on clear polycarbonate.
300s is offline Find More Posts by 300s
Old Sep 07, 2007, 08:44 AM
Rainy Western Oregon
Joined Feb 2005
207 Posts
Thanks 300s

Never thought of painting from the inside, but then I'm not a car guy . Well my first screw up with the kit occured . I glued in the motor stick as on pg.4 in the top channel, then on pg.6 it indicates the brushless motor needs to have it's stick glued to the bottom stick channel . Guess I will have to cut it out, or drill it out, and cut a new stick. I kind of fit the cowl on and it does not center at all. Oh Well! Anyone know the exact lengh of the stick?
Old Sep 07, 2007, 09:15 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Volts

I sprayed mine on the outside. I used Wal*Mart acrylic paint (49 cents) and have not had any problem. I prepped the cowl by rubbing it down with 0000 steel wool and then did a good cleanup with Windex. Don't touch the surface prior to painting.

Get a new stick - and you will use the entire length to properly mount the BL motor. Mines installed - sorry cannot measure.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Sep 07, 2007, 09:48 AM
Captured RAF FW - 190
Worcestershire, UK
Joined Nov 2006
300 Posts
Oh yes if you do choose to paint from the inside give the cowl / parts a clean in some soapy water then rinse and dry to clean any grease etc. I would think RC car polycarbonate spray paint would be best only for these plastic parts (not foam) but as james says acrylic should work too.
300s is offline Find More Posts by 300s
Old Sep 07, 2007, 10:01 AM
Rainy Western Oregon
Joined Feb 2005
207 Posts
Thanks Guy's

Inside or out sounds OK . I guess I will cut the stick out, I will just have a bigger cooling hole . I will measure and cut a new stick for the FW. Can't wait to finish this one, not just to fly, but hope it comes out at least looking half as good as the one's in the posts here .

Are most putting the decals on by actual units or just picking whats cool on the sheet?

We have an electric flyin this weekend , but wont have the 190 ready by then. Have to go to work now it always get's in the way.
Old Sep 07, 2007, 04:11 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300s
With RC car (transparent) shells it was always best to spray from the inside.

But I too have clear T-6, 262, & likely my P-38 parts also, I've not get that far yet (not had that much time recently )

But painting from inside always gave a good finish on clear polycarbonate.
Painting on the inside gives a gloss finish but The P-38, P40 and FW-190 all had matt finish paintwork. So I paint matt colours on the outside of the cowling.

I use a spray can of gray colour auto etch primer to bond with the plastic and then airbrush the final colour over this.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Sep 07, 2007, 04:35 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,109 Posts
I'm painting my P-40 cowl on the inside. To cut the shine on the cowl exterior I will hit it with dullcote. This will be my first attempt, so I'll let you know how it turns out. If it looks bad I can always go back and paint the outside (if I have not applied the decals yet ).

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Sep 07, 2007, 05:22 PM
O stewardess I speak jive
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
I painted mine just like the rest of the plane with no problems, but it usually does need a second coat because the first can seem a little translucent after it dries. Also: I used epoxy and 1/2 oz fiberglass inside the cowl to "firm" it up and it worked fine. Enjoy the 190, it is a fun plane.
Jake Williams is offline Find More Posts by Jake Williams
Old Sep 07, 2007, 07:34 PM
Rainy Western Oregon
Joined Feb 2005
207 Posts
Thats interesting, the fiberglass. I have some lightweight stuff left from glassing the inside of my Formosa 2 cowl after it split on a very soft nose tilt landing. I would hate to see that big beutiful radial cowl crack . I think I will definatley lay some cloth inside mine.

By the way what is dullcoat ? Really appreciate all the help on these forums .
Old Sep 07, 2007, 09:01 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Paint the outside.

It really makes no difference to durability as the paint will flake off from the inside too. In fact it may be harder to make minor repairs if you crack the cowl (and with these thin cowls it's not uncommon to do that) you will want to repair, or even add some glass, from the inside.

I did paint the inside of mine black (along with the foam at the motor mount) so I'd need less paint to cover on the outside.

I've flown mine hundreds of times now and a little paint has flaked of the bottom front of the cowl but a quick touch-up has it looking fine in a few seconds. Or just leave the chipped paint as it's a warbird!
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Sep 08, 2007, 06:39 AM
Joined Aug 2006
29 Posts
I Sprayed some basic Color from the inside first. While spraying the camouflage, I colored the whole Plane incl. the cowl. Works fine and after a rough landing some color was screatched from the outside, but the inside is colored simular so it dosent matter.

Got an Idea: Why not paint silver /alu from inside and got a really authentic used-look after some rough touches?
El_Luz is offline Find More Posts by El_Luz