HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 04:28 PM
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2006
137 Posts

Jim the spinner is a GWS p51 spinner (4 Blade should be a 2 blade but thats all I had) and the cowl is just painted yellow under for orentation and to match a paint scheme in an early set of pictures posted on here of FW aces. Chen have allready flown her in white and love it can't wait to fly her in her full colours now.

Tony
tmichel is offline Find More Posts by tmichel
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2007, 08:59 AM View Post
Draven
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while Draven edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old May 03, 2007, 11:33 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Thank god someone is finally removing that "planelover93"s idiotic posts. Not only is he rude to the GWS folks, but he is rude to all of his fellow RCgroup members.

My 190 kit arrives today.. Oh boy.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old May 03, 2007, 11:42 AM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
should get mine in less then 10 hours.....cant wait
taxdodger is offline Find More Posts by taxdodger
Old May 03, 2007, 04:36 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Thank god someone is finally removing that "planelover93"s idiotic posts. Not only is he rude to the GWS folks, but he is rude to all of his fellow RCgroup members.

My 190 kit arrives today.. Oh boy.

-Wayne
You are in for hours of very pleasurable flying. This bird flys almost as well as my Formosa II.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old May 03, 2007, 04:40 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
I was just out flying in winds well in excess of common sense (16 mph gusting to 24) and the FW had no problems handling them. The landing was a bit abrupt but I've done much worse.

Ken - your paint job is very nice!

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old May 03, 2007, 05:40 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
I was just out flying in winds well in excess of common sense (16 mph gusting to 24) and the FW had no problems handling them. The landing was a bit abrupt but I've done much worse.

Jim
Jim

I have not yet flown my GWS190 in winds but my impresion of its flying qualities was that it would handle the wind well. It is nice to have these views confirmed by your experiance.

The major problem that I have found over the years is,that when stronger winds are blowing,there is a lot of turbulance near the ground, This turbulance make landing more dificult because every time you line the aeroplae up with the runway it hits a bump and goes off line.

Ken
Old May 03, 2007, 07:09 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Just got mine in. Epyaya does a great job with their shipping. They get them out FAST, double boxed and padded.

Only have had a chance for a quick look in the box, and already like the upgraded hardware and "y" harness that is supplied with the kit (may not use it though). Engine cowel is actually thicker plastic then I expected. Heck, even nice wheels. Very happy with the purchase now.

I'm not a real fan of outboard ailerons, how well do they work on this plane? I have almost learned to leave GWS planes near stock, but am tempted to extend the aileron into the flap area. I'll be filling the panel lines anyhow.

I ordered up a P-51 spinner to give a try as I had read in the ME109 thread that is works well. Interesting design. It may well end up on the FW190 if it works out. Not scale, but not a bad look either. Kind of strange design though.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old May 03, 2007, 07:36 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Wayne

I have had no problems with the ailerons. Plenty of authority at high and low speeds. I have them set for dual rates, 55% and 85% with expo. She flies like a fighter!

Jim
Old May 03, 2007, 10:35 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Wayne

I have had no problems with the ailerons. Plenty of authority at high and low speeds. I have them set for dual rates, 55% and 85% with expo. She flies like a fighter!

Jim
I agree with Jim.

On strip ailerons the outer half does 75% of the work to roll the aeroplane. The inner section creates 50% of the aileron drag for 25% of the work. Eliminate the inner section and the lower drag means a higher speed during the roll and so there is no noticable loss in roll rate.

Roger Lombard recomends the Park Zone 190 spinner.

Ken
Old May 03, 2007, 11:56 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:

Jim
I need that sort of windspeed to fly mine as a sloper and she's flying "dead stick". I think the issue is more about turbulence and certainly on my home flying field with my smaller powered GWS birds there are places I prefer to avoid when its windy. Having said that I'm flying without gear over (at present) longish grass so if I do get it a bit wrong on final approach then like yours it can be a bit abrupt. In fact I can't help noticing that the art of abrupt landings is a skill I've managed to develop more successfully than some of my others
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Last edited by Roger Lombard; May 04, 2007 at 04:31 AM.
Old May 04, 2007, 03:10 AM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
got my 190 today....looks great!!!!

will post pics over the weekend
taxdodger is offline Find More Posts by taxdodger
Old May 05, 2007, 01:12 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2007
162 Posts
SOrry for one stupid question.. if i fiberglass my fuselage, does it mean every inch of it.. or just the "main " area ?
BenziT is offline Find More Posts by BenziT
Old May 05, 2007, 09:27 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
BenziT

All questions are welcome!

Depends on the look you want to achieve. Glassing makes the paintable surface different in texture. If you don't mine the obvious differences, glassing only the main areas would make a lighter plane. If you want a consistent surface, you need to treat all parts. You can use lighter weight matrix material on the non-main surfaces to even out the texture. Personally, I use silkspan for my matrix material. It comes in several weights, is highly sandable, and easy to work with.

Jim
Old May 05, 2007, 12:51 PM
Bourg-en-Bresse, FRANCE
Joined Mar 2005
407 Posts
hello!
here is mine (not painted yet )
Bye,
sebsoupe
sebsoupe is offline Find More Posts by sebsoupe