HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:19 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Guys, I got a stock GWS cowl yesterday and it is clear molded plastic.

So, despite doing a search, I can't find paint info. Has anyone painted the clear plastic parts? I would assume a water-based paint won't stick without a solvent-based primer?

Please let me know what I can use?

Thanks!
Mac
I have used both solvent based and water based paints on the GWS clear cowls. If you want a gloss finish paint the cowl on the inside but for a flat finish the cowl must be painted on the outside.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:21 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp View Post
I have used both solvent based and water based paints on the GWS clear cowls. If you want a gloss finish paint the cowl on the inside but for a flat finish the cowl must be painted on the outside.

Ken
Thanks, Ken. That's a cool idea; painting it on the inside leaves it looking like it has a few coats of clear on it!

Neat!

Mac
PS: I bought some Krylon Fusion in Satin Grey. They didn't have Fusion primer. So I might just repaint the plane in fusion grey (lower) and black or charcoal upper.

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:38 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Looks like Dynam is releasing a 1200mm version of the Butcher Bird.

I love my Dynam T-28 -- flies like a dream but is slow. This FW runs off 4s, so it'll be quick, I hope.

Mac
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Finally I spent two nights last week working on the 190, so she is basically done except the paint job.

I put two coats of WBPU on her and then tried a little bit of regular spry paint last night. The paint seemed to stick on the cowl well but okay on the foam. Hopefully could finish the build by this Friday.

I used to put a sk3536-kv1400 with MAS 9x6 in a Tiansheng 190, which is lighter than the GWS. On the maiden that plane just kept looping after looping. So I added a lot of down thrust to maintain level flight. The current power set-up for this GWS are SK3536 kv910 with TP11x8.5 and 3S 2200 30C. I think this should give her plenty of power. Normally I would only add one washer on the up-left (pilot's view) lag of the the X-mount in my other birds except the Tiansheng 190; but for my bigger birds (greater than 55" in wing span), I find they don't need any down thrust angle. I know there are lots of discussion about down/right thrust here, but I still would like to ask how you determine the "right" down/right thrust on this specific model?
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:55 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,659 Posts
Hi VinceTT,
please find attached a Trimming guide from the Dundee Model Aircraft Club (D.M.A.C) which I have found quite useful (they also have a good aerobatics guide). I am sure they wouldn't mind me giving you a copy!
richard9999 is online now Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:59 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
Hi VinceTT,
please find attached a Trimming guide from the Dundee Model Aircraft Club (D.M.A.C) which I have found quite useful (they also have a good aerobatics guide). I am sure they wouldn't mind me giving you a copy!
A very thorough guide to setting up a plane properly thank you!
Though I think most people will only mess about a bit with thrust lines cog and trims until plane is flying something like it should, but I think if you really want to get the most out of your plane that guide is very useful!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:24 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Got the new cowl, ESC and an Orange RX, so i went ahead and did some color changing on the Butcher Bird.

I'm almost afraid to fly it.

Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Looks good. Mine now has the prime on, I will do the rest of the paint job tomorrow. Looking for a good weather for maiden in the next a couple of days!

Richard: thanks for the detailed instruction. I had used the vertical climb, inverted flight, and cut-off test for checking right thrust, COG, and down thrust angle on all my planes. I would say checking COG is the easiest test I have been through. the other two tests are difficult to perform, to me, on a light weight foamie in anything above calm condition. I did have two cheap foamie came with different wash-out at wing tips that I did not notice before maiden, one was a total loss and I saved the other, but it does not matter how hard I try to balance the wing, it never flies straight. So that bird ended up in my "reserves".
Friday seems to be the best day of the week, all the others would have at least 5 to 10 miles of wind. I normally would fly anyway until my planes go backward on the ground, but not for this 190 that I have spent so many hours to build!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:22 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,659 Posts
Vince, tell me about it! My Tian Sheng FW-190 is almost ready ready to maiden after retracts and a paint job. It flew well before these time consuming changes, but is now a different bird and I am nervous to maiden it as I realise it has to land on pavement without risking ripping out the u/c, the alternative being somewhat rough grass. I fly from a park with fairly narrow park tracks and I will have to land on those. Since I have only ever flown from grass before, I have had little practice in landing precisely on a track, so I have been practising with a relatively unbreakable Extra 300-s EPO (the rubbery sort of EPO). When I can land well with this on the track about 80% of the time and without hitting any pedestrians (by landing it in front of me), I will maiden the FW-190.

Before you ask, the park is about 10mnts away and the nearest club with a proper runway 1hr.

By the way, what pen did you use for your panel lines?
richard9999 is online now Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:19 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Just a few quick fly-bys from the re-maiden flight this morning:

Focke-Wulf 190 by GWS 2nd Maiden (3 min 0 sec)
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Finally finished my 190 and maiden her last Friday. She is such a easy flyer. Even though her AUW is 36 oz with the servoless retracts and flaps. She floated in easily without using the flaps.

Unfortunately the school yard was not mowed yet, She had no problem taking of from the rough grasses but both retracts were stripped out at landing. the plane flipped and some paints were rubbed off. I re-glued the retracts in and had a successful landing at the second flight, but the 3mm steel rode bent anyway. Took me half an hour to bend them back to the angle that both wheels can rest flush in the wheel wells. The problem is, none of any flight club within one hour in my region has paved runway, and with all the rains and sun the grasses grow so fast in the school yard. Have to figure out where I can fly this baby!
Last edited by Vince_TT; Apr 02, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:36 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,087 Posts
Vince, are you in the us? Horizon hobby carries 3mm strife that have a spring coil in them. That coil does a lot to dampen the shock on first touch at landing.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:04 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Finally finished my 190 and maiden her last Friday. She is such a easy flyer. Even though her AUW is 36 oz with the servoless retracts and flaps. She floated in easily without using the flaps.

Unfortunately the school yard was not mowed yet, She had no problem taking of from the rough grasses but both retracts were stripped out at landing. the plane flipped and some paints were rubbed off. I re-glued the retracts in and had a successful landing at the second flight, but the 3mm steel rode bent anyway. Took me half an hour to bend them back to the angle that both wheels can rest flush in the wheel wells. The problem is, none of any flight club within one hour in my region has paved runway, and with all the rains and sun the grasses grow so fast in the school yard. Have to figure out where I can fly this baby!
So did you not use flaps then for take off and landing?
I fly off grass and use partial flaps for take off and more for landing and only occationally bend 3mm piano wire with a rough landing but if I get set up and winds arnt too bouncy I can land very smooth and slow and dont even nose over with a good flare out and continued use of throttle and elevator once down on ground till plane stops.
Try using those flaps next time!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Jim, yes, I am in the US. I have looked at the LG struts you mentioned, but decided to give piano wire a try which I have many successes in my smaller firebird. I now am thinking ordering some from Horrizon.

Nigelsheffield: I did use flaps at the first landing. I did not know how slow she could go so I have used some power at touch down, but she was definitely not coming too hot. after the LGs stripped off, the rough grasses also caused minor damages to the balsa flaps. So I did not use flaps at all in the second flight. This time I tried to float her in and made a "good" landing in my book. She taxied for about 15 feet and then nose down, but not flipped over. I was surprised that the struts still bent. Anyway, the grasses were about 2 to 3 inches tall, two times higher than usual. I will wait for the yard being mowed before my next try.