HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
Nice fireball. The expensive ones make really nice crashes. Did the pilot survive?

BTW I've seen plenty of RC pilots that will never take the blame for their own dumb thumbs.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:43 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,996 Posts
Yeah pilot survived but was a bit p****d off lol, I believe he only flies with spektrum rc gear and when I spoke to him in his milton keynes shop a few or more years ago when I was buying my dx6i he was arguing with someone who was trying to blame spektrum for crashing his plane and ali was telling him that spektrum do have lock outs and that the problem was not a power full enough bec or poor antenae position.
I wonder if he still stands by that after this one went down?
Probably does, plenty of other things could have gone wrong I suppose.
My experience with spektrum has been on whole positive, with just one real lock out, a few brown outs due to servos and a few temporary signal losses due to areal too near batts and esc/servos.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:05 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
My experience with spektrum has been on whole positive, with just one real lock out, a few brown outs due to servos and a few temporary signal losses due to areal too near batts and esc/servos.
You know I'm a 72 Mhrz dinosaur and contemplating switching to Spektrum and these sort of things have me concerned. I've rarely had a glitch on the old 72 but I need a system with more model memory so i figured I'd join the 21st century.

Regards,
Alan
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:49 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,175 Posts
The Hi-tech Aurora 9 is an outstanding radio system, with 30 memory slots. I know radios are like religion/politics to some people... I can say that I am very happy with mine. You can assign any function to any switch and there are 7 different mixes that you can set in any way you choose. Aircraft, Heli, glider or surface -all on the same radio.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:00 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
The Hi-tech Aurora 9 is an outstanding radio system, with 30 memory slots. I know radios are like religion/politics to some people... I can say that I am very happy with mine. You can assign any function to any switch and there are 7 different mixes that you can set in any way you choose. Aircraft, Heli, glider or surface -all on the same radio.
Thats actually the one I am primarily looking at. I have, a 7ch hitec now but it only has a 7 model memory. 30 should hold me as I can't house more than that anyway but the SD expanded memory would be nice. Do you know if the Aurora can be had in 72 Mhrz? My concern all along with the 2.4 hitec was the cost of the receivers and changing over.

REgards,
Alan
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:06 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,175 Posts
Yes, the A9 has a module in the back that can be swapped out between 72 MBA and 2.4. No, the old hitec modules do not fit. The rx run about $45 to 65$ each. There are 3 packs of rx that will save about $10-15 off.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:03 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
The main advantage of going the Spektrum route is the availability of generally reliable after market rx's.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Spektrum.html
There is no way I could afford to equip my fleet of 20 models with the genuine rx's
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:10 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
The main advantage of going the Spektrum route is the availability of generally reliable after market rx's.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Spektrum.html
There is no way I could afford to equip my fleet of 20 models with the genuine rx's
Andy
That precisely is why I am interested in Spektrum. Have you lost any models to glitches or brownouts? Is that stuff limited to certain cheap receivers?

Regards,
Alan
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:24 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
That precisely is why I am interested in Spektrum. Have you lost any models to glitches or brownouts? Is that stuff limited to certain cheap receivers?

Regards,
Alan
glitches are not the problem, careful placement of aerial wire will ensure a constant signal, locks out are so rare that its not really a concern and were mainly a problem with a certain batch of ar500 rxs and anything you buy now should not get that problem, the main thing is brown outs but that is just a case of ensuring your 5v supply is supplied properly and that it is not going to drop under 3.5 volts under any load that the servos demand otherwise you risk the rx shutting down and having to restart, now that used to take anything from 5 to 15 seconds in some early rxs but now they have quick connect and it is almost instant so that is not so much of a problem either.
So if you have a lot of rxs to replace when u change over to 2.4ghz then spektrum is your cheapest option by far. And also their is now dsmx as well as dsm2 so you could get some dsmx rx for your more expensive planes to be on the safe side!
BTW I am not on trying to sell you spektrum just my opinion. My mate has futaba and he has never had any prob with any brown outs signals or glitches.
I am really into powered sail planes now and my dx6i is only really just good enough but if I wanted to buy a really good glider and wanted all the mixes needed I would have to replace it and I would be tempted by the frsky telemetry installed in a turnigy 9x, but I would keep the dx6i for all my other planes as the frsky rxs are not all that cheap but not too expensive that I would not buy the odd one here and there as needed.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Feb 14, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:12 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
Quote:
You know I'm a 72 Mhrz dinosaur and contemplating switching to Spektrum and these sort of things have me concerned. I've rarely had a glitch on the old 72 but I need a system with more model memory so i figured I'd join the 21st century.

Regards,
Alan
well knock on wood , but us who fly futaba 2.4 watch w/ horror as the spektrum brownouts, thisouts, thoseouts, inability to bind or stay bound, ect, ect, take plane after plane, and or cause frustration to no end.

i also stayed w/ 72 meg. forever had had very few problems even w/ shortened antennas and less than perfect installs. that being said i always range check new installs , fix the issues and have the equip in good order. all the time helping a f/b newbie w/ his spektrum stuff and being happy i did not go that route. he had larger, nice more complex airplanes that had top of the line $ 100 real spektrum long range satellite rx's that would lose bind for no reason. this was like,take the plane apart , bind, put the plane back together , go to the field , fly 2-3-4 batteries through it , go to fly again , no bind. at other times , just total loss of radio contact and the ensuing crash.

we tried different tx's , different rx's, in all combos, including in different aircraft, and still issues of 1 kind or another. not always , but issues.

he asked me , what do we do ? so we tried futaba 2.4, the down side then being rx cost , but he was so frustrated it did not matter as long as it worked , hell he was in some cases he was spending that on the spekrum stuff.

well in one word , PERFECT. the futaba has been great, ~ 1 1/2 years , instant bind, 0 issues . and now the aftermarket rx's are out and i now have went that route because all 16 spots on my 72 megs are full

at $22 the 2.4 aftermarket futaba rx's have proven also perfect, 0 issues , and we fly a lot! cool 10 more spots to fill for $220 in rx's.

needless to say, i am sold! fwiw and yrmv. and i have no connection to futaba except as a satisfied customer.

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:28 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Quote:

Regards,
Alan
I've only suffered one period when I had zero control over my EPP Dragonfly pusher. It went into a gentle turn and, just as it was going over a built up area, I managed a quick blip which saw it spiral into the ground. I didn't hold out much hope of finding it but luckily someone saw it go in and I eventually recovered from an evergreen tree bordering someones garden. The RX was a cheap clone of the AR6100e which I bought from Target Hobby http://www.targethobby.com/spectrum-...p-4161774.html. The odd thing was that I had flown the model at much further distances without any problems. The only difference was that I had been using a DX6i whereas the incident happened with my DX7. The DX6i was being operated at the optional high output setting but there doesn't appear anyway to change this on my DX7. I've marked the RX and will only use for strictly short range sorties. I've had zero problems with any of the HK orange 4 & 6 ch RX's
Here's my D H Vampire being given a good work out. No glitches or brownouts .
Radio controlled D H Vampire on 6x4 prop (2 min 58 sec)
. Not a FW-190 but at least it is a warbird.. I wonder who would win in a dogfight?
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:08 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,004 Posts
Just checked back in on this thread. Vince, this plane does not have a bad stall issue. My 190 was heavy, was scary to hand launch, never stalled. Your 3636 motor is perfect. Lowering the speed will only allow you to stall easier. Swinging a bigger prop will give you more left torque. The 910 kv motor will allow you to swing an 11" prop. Perfect for this plane.

What Ken said is true for this and all planes (all things being equal), the lighter the plane the longer it takes the wing to stall.

Good luck,
Kevin

[QUOTE=Vince_TT;20716583] With regards to the power plant. I now have a turning sk3636 kv910, a sk3536 kv1400, and a n3542 kv800 to choose from. Maybe I should go with lower kv and swing a bigger prop. Will the Higher thrust but lower speed setup help the stall issue?
[QUOTE]
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:29 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
well knock on wood , but us who fly futaba 2.4 watch w/ horror as the spektrum brownouts, thisouts, thoseouts, inability to bind or stay bound, ect, ect, take plane after plane, and or cause frustration to no end.

i also stayed w/ 72 meg. forever had had very few problems even w/ shortened antennas and less than perfect installs. that being said i always range check new installs , fix the issues and have the equip in good order. all the time helping a f/b newbie w/ his spektrum stuff and being happy i did not go that route. he had larger, nice more complex airplanes that had top of the line $ 100 real spektrum long range satellite rx's that would lose bind for no reason. this was like,take the plane apart , bind, put the plane back together , go to the field , fly 2-3-4 batteries through it , go to fly again , no bind. at other times , just total loss of radio contact and the ensuing crash.

we tried different tx's , different rx's, in all combos, including in different aircraft, and still issues of 1 kind or another. not always , but issues.

he asked me , what do we do ? so we tried futaba 2.4, the down side then being rx cost , but he was so frustrated it did not matter as long as it worked , hell he was in some cases he was spending that on the spekrum stuff.

well in one word , PERFECT. the futaba has been great, ~ 1 1/2 years , instant bind, 0 issues . and now the aftermarket rx's are out and i now have went that route because all 16 spots on my 72 megs are full

at $22 the 2.4 aftermarket futaba rx's have proven also perfect, 0 issues , and we fly a lot! cool 10 more spots to fill for $220 in rx's.

needless to say, i am sold! fwiw and yrmv. and i have no connection to futaba except as a satisfied customer.

chuck.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you think that Spektrum has addressed these issues? I've been pretty lucky with Hitec and Futaba and el cheapo corona 72 mhrz Rx's. To me the most important thing after reliability is having enough of a model memory to store all of my flyable planes. Thirdly would be the cost of Rx's so i will look again at Futaba as well but the price is usually what runs me away from them.

Regards,
Alan
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:43 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Do you think that Spektrum has addressed these issues? I've been pretty lucky with Hitec and Futaba and el cheapo corona 72 mhrz Rx's. To me the most important thing after reliability is having enough of a model memory to store all of my flyable planes. Thirdly would be the cost of Rx's so i will look again at Futaba as well but the price is usually what runs me away from them.

Regards,
Alan
i love those 4 and 6ch coronas cheap and small. must have 25 of them. i dont even pull them out when i decommission a plane due to lack of radio space, i figure it was working good and i intend to fly them again so i copy the set up info and throw them on the shelf. 15 min of reprogramming and i'm ready to rumble.

as far as the spektrum goes, i dont beleive they have fixed anything. there is probably something to the infamous "spektrum cone of silence". imo and its only that, the system design is marginal and consistent quality is iffy . seems some have no problems , others more , comes and goes. kinda showed when they brought out the 8 channel and let the public do the testing for them , can u say rekit. on the other side hitec held off for months and months to release there new issue due to what was thought to be design and or production problems.

it should be said that spektrum probably gives a lot of bang for buck, i see it as a entry level system and u get what u pay for. but, i dont need any help from my radio to wad em up , i do just fine on my own, thanks

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:50 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
i dont need any help from my radio to wad em up , i do just fine on my own, thanks

chuck.
Me neither brother. Do a good job of that myself at times.

Thanks again for the tips,
Alan