HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 05:00 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
2,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
I still reckon my high KV set up is as fast as you need to go on a warbird and it still flys around at more scale speeds at 50% power
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuscSvah_qw have a look at the passes at around 2 mins. I was seeing if my fb's android phone RC Speedo app would give me a speed reading but too quiet! http://www.xioptics.com/james/rcspee...oid_manual.php
Head
yep, that looks plenty fast enough!
Took mine out this morn again and the wind was 5mph ish slightly bufety, and I'm happy with it, will fly on 1/2 throttle but 3/4 is better and nice and fast, full throttle and it will pull up vertical for a reasonalable time, I think my problem with this plane is that it's just heavy now and so is not very manauverable but that is ok, I just fly it more scale with longer turns and bigger loops, it looks the business taking off and landing with retracts and flaps and fly pasts are a blast!
At the end of the day its each to his own how fast is fast enough, and the more you fly a plane and get used to it the faster you want it to go!
When I break the prop I will put a bigger one on as the motor is coming down cool every time now but it wont help with weight!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:57 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
I still reckon my high KV set up is as fast as you need to go on a warbird and it still flys around at more scale speeds at 50% power
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuscSvah_qw have a look at the passes at around 2 mins. I was seeing if my fb's android phone RC Speedo app would give me a speed reading but too quiet! http://www.xioptics.com/james/rcspee...oid_manual.php
Head
Is this the motor that you are running?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3885

I actually have two of those but I was told that an 8X6 prop would over amp the motor. All of the data suggests a 7X6 prop which seems awfully small for a 35mm motor.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:38 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
Is this the motor that you are running?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3885

I actually have two of those but I was told that an 8X6 prop would over amp the motor. All of the data suggests a 7X6 prop which seems awfully small for a 35mm motor.
Yeah that's the motor and my test results are still at the top of the reviews

"More static WOT data (taken at 10 secs with UH 2200 20-30c 3 cell lipo & 40 amp ESC) for APC thin electric props
6 x 4 14.5 amps 160 watts
7 x 5 24 amps 252 watts
7 x 6 27 amps 278 watts
8 x 4 29 amps 297 watts
8 x 6 35 amps 350 watts"
Looks like others have come up with similar figures. It's rated at 340 watts so well within on my 8x4 set up but an 8x6 would push it over the max rating. However, it will unload some in flight and might be ok if you only run WOT in bursts. I have also ran one in my Stryker using a 7x4 on 4 cells - nice
Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jun 10, 2011, 08:01 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan russ View Post
...I'm thinking about getting a FW190 and installing the 700kv motor and 20amp esc from my 1000mm destroyed art-tech corsair. I'm guessing this should be a pretty good match. Any thoughts?

This is the one from nitroplanes right?http://www.nitroplanes.com/gl604-2-fw190-green-kit.html
Hey Russ,

The Art-Tech 700 kv motor won't scare you with its speed, but you could probably make it work. We've seen significantly better performance with a 1080 prop on it (Parkzone's fits perfectly.

The 190 you linked is a Guanli, not a GWS. It'll make a nice flyer with mods. See jbc's blog here on RCG. He did a little writeup on it.

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:18 AM
me, right now.
United States, NC, Clayton
Joined Nov 2009
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
Hey Russ,

The Art-Tech 700 kv motor won't scare you with its speed, but you could probably make it work. We've seen significantly better performance with a 1080 prop on it (Parkzone's fits perfectly.

The 190 you linked is a Guanli, not a GWS. It'll make a nice flyer with mods. See jbc's blog here on RCG. He did a little writeup on it.

Jeff
Hey, thanks for the info Jeff. Already have the pkz1080 on the motor, just trying to find a home for it. I'll look into jbc's blog.
hooligan russ is offline Find More Posts by hooligan russ
Old Jun 15, 2011, 03:25 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
2,936 Posts
Smashed up my fw 190 last night, spektrum rx must of locked out I think as it stopped responding to controls and motor was still running, plowed vertical streight down nose first, its a right mess wings broke in several places, fuse broke in to a few bits, battery sqaushed, every singles control surface ripped out, canopy ripped of, motor mount ripped out and of course cowling smashed to bits and that is gonna be the problem bit to fix!
Not tested anything yet to see whats what as still a bit too p*****d off to face it just yet.
I will give it a go and glue it all back and try and find a cowling as dont want to chuck it after spending all that time on retracts and flaps and putting new motor in!
Wish me luck!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:22 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
2,936 Posts
found problem-----gues what? RETRACTS BURNED OUT AND SHORTED ubec causing crash! I'm really begining to think retracts are a waste of time, thats the 3rd retract I had thats burned out, these new ones that are in this plane are supposed to have better electronics that dont burn out but they are worse cause at least the old ones just stopped working when they burned out but did not cause your planes to crash!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:23 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,774 Posts
bummer, was the ubec at 5volts or 6??
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:20 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,418 Posts
I had always understood that if you used retracts, you should have a separate UBEC, (and, ideally, battery), for them for the reasons you have just discovered. I should point out that I have no direct experience in this but I was considering retracts for my Guanli FW-190 from Hobbyking once this is trimmed out.

If you are looking to replace your FW190 then this is a cost effective alternative at about $50 shipped. It looks good but I have been having some problems with flight characteristics, which I think are due to my down thrust angle but am not yet sure. Weather not good here so no chance to test further at the moment, but I'll post when she's right!
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:26 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
2,936 Posts
ubec was at 5v, did not use separate ubec just for retracts as they have current sensors built in which cut out if retracts jam and so SHOULD not cause a problem, obviously there is a problem with the driver board itself in these retracts!
what I will do is either use a separate ubec for retracts or put a fuse in circuit going to retracts or both!
A separate battery is not really an option on such a small plane.
MIght consider the guanli fw190 if I cant get this one back right, but being the epo version I have a chance of saving it as long as I can get cowling.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:04 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Yeah that's the motor and my test results are still at the top of the reviews

"More static WOT data (taken at 10 secs with UH 2200 20-30c 3 cell lipo & 40 amp ESC) for APC thin electric props
6 x 4 14.5 amps 160 watts
7 x 5 24 amps 252 watts
7 x 6 27 amps 278 watts
8 x 4 29 amps 297 watts
8 x 6 35 amps 350 watts"
Looks like others have come up with similar figures. It's rated at 340 watts so well within on my 8x4 set up but an 8x6 would push it over the max rating. However, it will unload some in flight and might be ok if you only run WOT in bursts. I have also ran one in my Stryker using a 7x4 on 4 cells - nice
Head
The only thing that bothers me about this particular motor is the power to weight ratio. It is a large (35mm) diameter motor rated at 1700 KV (debateable), 340 watts maximum, and weighs 77 grams (2.72 oz), it is claimed by Hobby King to be equivalent to the AXI 2208/20.

On the other hand the AXI 2208/20 weighs 40 grams (37gm less) can be operated way above it's rated power (400 watts with an 8X6 prop) and can be run on up to 5s and will out perform the Turnegy motor like it's painted on a fence post. Even so I thing the FW-190 needs at least a ten inch prop to adequately clear the nose. Right now I'm running a Rimfire .10 in mine rated at 330 watts. I have an APC 10X5 prop on it and it is fast but not that fast. I'm thinking I may go to an AXI 2208/24 and see if that doesn't move it a bit better. I'm just afraid of Hobby King motors.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:22 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,775 Posts
The AXI at $74.99 (on sale at http://www.hobby-lobby.com/axi_gold_..._3009_prd1.htm ) versus $18.20 tends to make choosing the Turnigy a no brainer when you have over 20 models ready to fly in the hangar. The Turnigy motor is also a tough unit having survived a couple of high speed crashes in various planes without a scratch or bent shaft.
I'm not saying that HK sourced motors are always the most efficient but, in the main, you can't fault their bang for buck
Head
Old Jun 16, 2011, 02:41 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
I had always understood that if you used retracts, you should have a separate UBEC, (and, ideally, battery), for them for the reasons you have just discovered. I should point out that I have no direct experience in this but I was considering retracts for my Guanli FW-190 from Hobbyking once this is trimmed out.

If you are looking to replace your FW190 then this is a cost effective alternative at about $50 shipped. It looks good but I have been having some problems with flight characteristics, which I think are due to my down thrust angle but am not yet sure. Weather not good here so no chance to test further at the moment, but I'll post when she's right!
my bud has a guanli and though it looks ok never did get it to fly near as well as the gws, fwiw.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:08 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
969 Posts
why run such a high kv motor 1700kv is not going to be an optimum performer for speed or efficiency.. way to many amps for what little thrust is produced .. you cant run an efficient prop for this plane with that high of kv.
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Jun 16, 2011, 04:06 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,775 Posts
Well, I did run a 1200 KV motor at first but broke too many expensive APC props belly landing on our less than perfect grass strip. I had the 1700 kv spare from my recently deceased Stryker so I thought I'd give it a go. And go it certainly does. I'm also running the shorter Parkzone Corsair cowl so the motor weight helps me achieve the correct c of g.
I have got some HK servo-less retracts to fit so I may go back to a lower KV unit. However, Nigel's recent problems are making me re-think the wisdom of fitting them.
Head