SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:41 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Yep I got mine as well and that motor mount is going to be a pain but I'll come up with something. I want to leave the stick mount in place in case I need to go back to it.

I'll post some numbers soon and if I devise a slick way to mount the thing I'll post pictures of that as well..

John.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 05:33 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
Yep I got mine as well and that motor mount is going to be a pain but I'll come up with something. I want to leave the stick mount in place in case I need to go back to it.

I'll post some numbers soon and if I devise a slick way to mount the thing I'll post pictures of that as well..

John.
yeah, the motor is wide too so my stick mount would ave to come out to put it in. I thought about mounting it by epoxying some long bolts threads into foam bolted to motor so motor angle could be altered easily.
the other motor I got fits ok but I cant get the shaft to reverse, its just stuck solid and I dont want to break it, heyho, but I will use it anyway just be sticking out of front a bit and I will have to use diferent prop, not the prop saver as I have been, If its ok I will have to try to sort out stick mount, cant get it off stick as bolts were epoxied in and are all chewed up too, AAARRRHHH!!!
hopefully I will get some time b4 I go on holiday to sort it out. I will leave 30 amp esc in for now as its a pain to sort out all wiring what with battery esc and rx all in diferent parts of plane.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old May 26, 2011, 05:28 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,719 Posts
right , got my better motor in at last this morn and it turning an electric apc looking 9*6 which I had lying around, holding its own weight just about on my loongmax tipples 1800 3 cell, sticking out of front a bit but dont look too bad, nothing getting even warm with this arangment on a 15 sec wot test so hopefully will be ok as long as top speed is there I will be happy.
my cog has gone forwards a lot and is now at around 70mm which is 33%, it was at 85mm which maybe why it felt a bit touchy in the wind. I will fly it like this and see how it goes, WHEN THE WIND DIES DOWN THAT IS!
Old May 26, 2011, 09:52 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,719 Posts
just read through posts on cog and have now moved battery back to original position in battery compartment which b4 was way to tail heavy but now is spot on at 85mm.
This is good because it meens I can put in my a123 1100mah 3 cell packs without anymore mods apart from bigger prop and program esc for nimh and low cut off.

STILL WAITING FOR WIND TO CALM DOWN SO i CAN FLY IT!
Old May 26, 2011, 01:27 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,719 Posts
regarding donkey motor, on testing without prop again, it seems a bit stiff to turn and gets quite hot just running for a couples mins without prop, is this because the brushings need to wear in a bit or what? I have dropped a little bit of oil in. made no diference.
Old May 26, 2011, 01:41 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
regarding donkey motor, on testing without prop again, it seems a bit stiff to turn and gets quite hot just running for a couples mins without prop, is this because the brushings need to wear in a bit or what? I have dropped a little bit of oil in. made no diference.
The pole windings themselves may generate some heat depending on turns/gauge etc. It might benefit from a bit of airflow and run cooler with a prop?
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old May 26, 2011, 04:19 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
The pole windings themselves may generate some heat depending on turns/gauge etc. It might benefit from a bit of airflow and run cooler with a prop?
hmm, I might screw it to a bench tomorow and see what prop it will turn, not gonna put it in fw190 as other motor is in and fitted to stick mount but I'm sure I'll have something to put it in sometime lol, it might be settings on esc I suppose but I think its just a bit tight and will hopefully loosen up a bit with use, it has got a slight bit of vibration too, but it was that cheap I'm not really bothered, was just interested to see what it was like. some of the reviews on these motors are actually very good, one of them is pulling 600w through the lower kv one and says its fine!
Old May 27, 2011, 04:53 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
just read through posts on cog and have now moved battery back to original position in battery compartment which b4 was way to tail heavy but now is spot on at 85mm.
This is good because it meens I can put in my a123 1100mah 3 cell packs without anymore mods apart from bigger prop and program esc for nimh and low cut off.

STILL WAITING FOR WIND TO CALM DOWN SO i CAN FLY IT!
hoo-ray, got one flight in this morning, was quite windy but flyable at first anyway, she flies well on this setup, not blistering fast or endless vertical but good enough for me and after 8 mins of flying in fairly windy conditions bat was at 3.78v per cell, motor was stone cold as was esc, so I could prop up a bit when I feel like a bit more speed, put back just over 1000mah. With the cog at 85mm it flies just fine and landing was uneventful sitting down on all three wheels no nose over at all. to recap this motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2106
1000kv 85g 9*6 electric prop, epo foam and servoless retracts and flaps.
Last edited by nigelsheffield; May 27, 2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:12 AM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Congrats, Nigel. Glad to hear the gale-force winds finally calmed down enough for you.

See? Good things do come to those who wait! I, on the other hand, tend to "push it" impatiently and regret it afterwards!

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old May 28, 2011, 02:36 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
Congrats, Nigel. Glad to hear the gale-force winds finally calmed down enough for you.

See? Good things do come to those who wait! I, on the other hand, tend to "push it" impatiently and regret it afterwards!

Jeff
yeah, patience is a virtue lol!
Where I fly there is a couple of soccer fields with a sharpe hill of about 20-30 feet between them followed by a row of houses and the rest of the town behind, what happens is the wind bounces over houses down field and then bounces some more over hill, which makes the air very turbulant even in a steady wind so plane will jump up or down by a good amount or sudenly get thrown over onto side etc which makes landing very hairy indeed, especially when trying to grease in a plane with retracts!
When I belonged to a flying club we had a field in the middle of no where, flat and open, I would fly in pretty much any wind, I had a pilon racer very fast plane and flown that in winds that made it go backwards lol.
Well I'm goin on hols now even further north, "Holy island" and to see some seals in a little boat with my lovely wife and little 9 year old girl, should be fun but I'm gonna wrap up warm!
Catch you all when I get back!
Old Jun 07, 2011, 02:46 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,719 Posts
flew all 5 batts this morning one after other, nothing got warm, let alone hot, back of motor could just barely feel a touch of warmth other wise stone cold including esc. I will up the prop when I can get round to buying one, motor is 1000kv and prop is 9*6, might get a 9*8 or a 10*7 or both and try them, the plane flew fine but not as fast as b4 top speed, general pull was ok but could do with a bit more.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:53 AM
me, right now.
United States, NC, Clayton
Joined Nov 2009
498 Posts
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby View Post
well here it is, all ready to go, after a half year of procrastination, the gws 190! thankyou everyone for your help in aiding me. just waiting for the runway to be ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri View Post
Well I finally got mine ready for it's maiden flight. We have some nice weather moving in this week and my friend wants to get a couple planes in the air so I figured it was about time. Mine has a few mods to it. I used the parkzone cowl, GP .10 mech retracts and made soem split flaps for it. I also added a carbon rod to the wing and glassed the wing. I filled in the panel lines with light spackle and then used polycrilic on the entire thing. I airbrushed the paint and almost all the markings are painted on other then the Swastika on the tail and the crosses on the fuse.

She weighs in at 37oz. Looking through the thread that's not as heavy as some of yours so I'm happy with that.

I'm hoping to have some good flights to report this week.

Steve
very nice work guys!

I'm thinking about getting a FW190 and installing the 700kv motor and 20amp esc from my 1000mm destroyed art-tech corsair. I'm guessing this should be a pretty good match. Any thoughts?

This is the one from nitroplanes right?http://www.nitroplanes.com/gl604-2-fw190-green-kit.html
hooligan russ is offline Find More Posts by hooligan russ
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:56 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
This is the motor I'm currently using in mine Nigel,

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWU0&P=0

I run an APC 10X7 prop and 3S 2200 Thunder Power batteries. It's got reasonable power but is not as fast as I would like it to be. I'm still looking for the right motor but I know I'm going to have to go to 4S to get the speed I want.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 09, 2011, 02:25 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
This is the motor I'm currently using in mine Nigel,

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWU0&P=0

I run an APC 10X7 prop and 3S 2200 Thunder Power batteries. It's got reasonable power but is not as fast as I would like it to be. I'm still looking for the right motor but I know I'm going to have to go to 4S to get the speed I want.
...or use a prop with more pitch, APC sells 10x10 which still provide lots of thrust for such a small model (if current shoots up too much one might try a 9x9 for speed)

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:23 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,302 Posts
I still reckon my high KV set up is as fast as you need to go on a warbird and it still flys around at more scale speeds at 50% power
GWS FW-190 (4 min 17 sec)
have a look at the passes at around 2 mins. I was seeing if my fb's android phone RC Speedo app would give me a speed reading but too quiet! http://www.xioptics.com/james/rcspee...oid_manual.php
Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain