HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 09:57 AM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,009 Posts
I just checked my numbers this morning. With a EVO 2500mah 3s battery (25C) I got 134 watts with 11 amps at 1/2 throttle and 362 watts with 34.4 amps at full throttle.

For the most part I just fly around at 1/2 throttle or less.

Speedracer, I think your Turnigy 35-30/1100kv motor should be fine. Maybe your over propping the motor. Try a APC 10 x 7 slow flyer prop. What is the C rating and capacity for your battery?

Kevin.
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:49 AM
Solidworks
Stanfield,NC
Joined Apr 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDad
I just checked my numbers this morning. With a EVO 2500mah 3s battery (25C) I got 134 watts with 11 amps at 1/2 throttle and 362 watts with 34.4 amps at full throttle.

For the most part I just fly around at 1/2 throttle or less.

Speedracer, I think your Turnigy 35-30/1100kv motor should be fine. Maybe your over propping the motor. Try a APC 10 x 7 slow flyer prop. What is the C rating and capacity for your battery?

Kevin.
It is a 20C 2200mah pack.

Ken, Thank you for all your help. I forgot the suggestions you had for props back on page 101. I will be making a stop at my LHS today for some props.

It is the only thing keeping me from my maiden, and thank you also RCdad for the help and info I will pick up an APC 10x7 also.
speedracer24 is offline Find More Posts by speedracer24
Last edited by speedracer24; Jul 24, 2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 07:23 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
997 Posts
i have looked at this motor a lot and for flight time and speed the 9x6 apc should be very good. according to motorcalc.
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Jul 24, 2009, 09:08 PM
Solidworks
Stanfield,NC
Joined Apr 2007
207 Posts
Well after many dif size props and not being able to get over 150W I will remove this motor form the plane and throw it in my junk pile. I will be staying away from turnigy.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 09:07 AM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
997 Posts
thats to bad.. thats the price we pay for buying cheap motors. i would not however disregard turnigy just cause you got a bad one. remember you can buy 2-3 of these at the price of a name brand one. with turnigy you are paying for quanity not quality as far as assembly is concerned, i do think they have done there homework though in the engineering of these motors as they are of good quality parts and well desined, just rashly put togather. i hope you dont totally dismay turnigy because of one motor as i have had no problems yet but am sure i will. thats just the odds.. good luck with whatever you buy.. later andrew k.
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Jul 25, 2009, 09:32 AM
Solidworks
Stanfield,NC
Joined Apr 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane
thats to bad.. thats the price we pay for buying cheap motors. i would not however disregard turnigy just cause you got a bad one. remember you can buy 2-3 of these at the price of a name brand one. with turnigy you are paying for quanity not quality as far as assembly is concerned, i do think they have done there homework though in the engineering of these motors as they are of good quality parts and well desined, just rashly put togather. i hope you dont totally dismay turnigy because of one motor as i have had no problems yet but am sure i will. thats just the odds.. good luck with whatever you buy.. later andrew k.

I totally dismantled the motor to see if maybe a bearing went bad but everything seemed smooth. Re-assembled it and nothing changed. I think the best I could get out of it was 145W@12A on a 10x7 APC-SF prop. The weight of the plane is about 24oz with batt(according to my non digital food scale). I have 2 suppo motors, one on a funjet I still havent maidened yet and the other on my pusher GWS F-15. The 15 flies very well with it and am looking towards that but bigger for my 190.

I bought the Turnigy at E-Fest before I moved to NC, paid $40 for it.
I even tried Y harnessing 2 flightpower 25c 3s 1200mah packs to it and still got the same #'s

Maybe I'll use it for a weed whacker.

Chris.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:38 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Thought I'd post this picture. I may have earlier in this thread but can't remember.

This is a simple tail wheel mod. Looks more scale and is much more robust then stock.

Hope this might be of help to others --Stacker
stacker is offline Find More Posts by stacker
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:55 PM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker
Thought I'd post this picture. I may have earlier in this thread but can't remember.

This is a simple tail wheel mod. Looks more scale and is much more robust then stock.

Very nice, and it probably results in tighter turns?

matt
mcsarge is offline Find More Posts by mcsarge
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:06 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Matt,
Maybe just a little tighter turn, mostly looks and strength though.

Take care--Stacker
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:26 PM
Never look down
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Jun 2007
382 Posts
Quote:

Do you have details on how you set it up or parts you used?
Hack73 is offline Find More Posts by Hack73
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:32 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,299 Posts
Hack73,
Sorry just the picture. Plastic arm comes with kit as an extra part. Just need to bend the control arm and hook into the rudder horn. I believe the wood block was just a piece of 1/4" x 1/4" x 1 1/2". Hardest part is prob. bending the wheel leg as you have to put a bend to lock the arm in place. Same way the GWS A-10 nose wheel was done.

Take care -- Stacker
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:11 PM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
Sorry but I do not have video of the model flying with this set up.

Ken
Ken where did you find the GWS 190 in stock in Australia? Or do you know a OS store that will ship here at reasonable cost. Lastly is yours EPS or EPO?
AlouetteIII is offline Find More Posts by AlouetteIII
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:30 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlouetteIII
Ken where did you find the GWS 190 in stock in Australia? Or do you know a OS store that will ship here at reasonable cost. Lastly is yours EPS or EPO?
My GWS-190 is one of the first 10 out of the factory and was purchased as an Early bird Kit. It is an EPS kit but my next one will be an EPO kit. I have an EPO GWS-40 and an EPO GWS T-6 and have found that both these models are more durable than EPS kits.

Plane Crazy has one EPS GWS-190 listed as in stock at this moment.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:49 AM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
My GWS-190 is one of the first 10 out of the factory and was purchased as an Early bird Kit. It is an EPS kit but my next one will be an EPO kit. I have an EPO GWS-40 and an EPO GWS T-6 and have found that both these models are more durable than EPS kits.

Plane Crazy has one EPS GWS-190 listed as in stock at this moment.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I will try to find the EPO version instock somewhere who ships to AU.
AlouetteIII is offline Find More Posts by AlouetteIII
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 29, 2009, 08:00 AM
Never look down
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Jun 2007
382 Posts
Quote:
Hack73,
Sorry just the picture. Plastic arm comes with kit as an extra part. Just need to bend the control arm and hook into the rudder horn. I believe the wood block was just a piece of 1/4" x 1/4" x 1 1/2". Hardest part is prob. bending the wheel leg as you have to put a bend to lock the arm in place. Same way the GWS A-10 nose wheel was done.

Take care -- Stacker
How does the wheel attach to the wood?
Hack73 is offline Find More Posts by Hack73