HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:36 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
GWAEO025AA is GWS-190 NPS white version in EPO, while GWAEO025B is painted NPS version in EPS.

It's hard to use water-based paint to paint the EPO kit.

Hope these would be helpful.

Chen
Chen,
What type of paint stick well to the EPO foam that you would recommend? Someone recommended an DupliColor Adhesion promoter for the water based paint.
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:41 AM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer
Chen,
What type of paint stick well to the EPO foam that you would recommend? Someone recommended an DupliColor Adhesion promoter for the water based paint.
I used WBPU (water based poly urethane) and the paint seems to stick really well. All I did was use some white filler to fill in the panel lines and some of the areas where the expanded beads had some gaps between and then sand the filler smooth. I then applied the first coat of WBPU and then sanded again. Another coat of WBPU and sanded again with finer paper. Then I gave it to my friend to paint with water based acrylics from Michael's (Apple Blossom paints, I think)

If I had to do it over again, I would have first cleaned the molded parts thoroughly with rubbing alcohol to remove any mold release. I have never used the adhesion promoter, so it might have been a good substitute for the WBPU. If that was the case, I would have done one more coat of the promoter after the final sanding.

Matt
mcsarge is offline Find More Posts by mcsarge
Old Jul 21, 2009, 03:48 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
The Adhesion Promoter is amazing on the EPO, but you will still want to clean the release agent from the foam with alcohol before applying the Adhesion Promoter. I have used the WBPU in the past. The Adhesion Promoter makes for a much better base for the water based paints. It is also much lighter than WBPU.

Water Based paints do work very well on EPO if the foam is first prepped.
haiduk is offline Find More Posts by haiduk
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:46 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Great for the heads up I use MinWax satin instead of the glossy, WBPU. I'll just use that before I paint. I use this to glass my planes as well with some fiber cloth but I don't think it's necessary hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarge
I used WBPU (water based poly urethane) and the paint seems to stick really well. All I did was use some white filler to fill in the panel lines and some of the areas where the expanded beads had some gaps between and then sand the filler smooth. I then applied the first coat of WBPU and then sanded again. Another coat of WBPU and sanded again with finer paper. Then I gave it to my friend to paint with water based acrylics from Michael's (Apple Blossom paints, I think)

If I had to do it over again, I would have first cleaned the molded parts thoroughly with rubbing alcohol to remove any mold release. I have never used the adhesion promoter, so it might have been a good substitute for the WBPU. If that was the case, I would have done one more coat of the promoter after the final sanding.

Matt
Anyone have experience with GWS nano Retract Gear set on the 190? Does it fit or is it too small or big? What kind of servo was used? I saw somone else post they used retracts and they were a little too tall but not sure if these were the same ones.
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:49 AM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
1,995 Posts
Still waiting Jeff.........

Kevin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDad
Hi Jeff, Thanks for coming back to this. From you pictures I think the decals I got from Callie are not the same size as yours.

Here are the measurements of what I have:

2 11/16" wing cross
2 9/16" fuse cross
1 6/16" swastika

Could you measure yours to see if they are the same?

Thanks,
Kevin.

"Hey RCDad-
Did you ever get the answers you were looking for? Sorry, I totally forgot about your question..
If you didn't, let me know and I will measure mine..
Jeff"
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
Old Jul 23, 2009, 02:38 PM
Solidworks
Stanfield,NC
Joined Apr 2007
207 Posts
Anyone recommend a good motor for this bird w/o breaking the bank or swinging a large prop?
speedracer24 is offline Find More Posts by speedracer24
Old Jul 23, 2009, 04:55 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
1,995 Posts
I would recommend a SUPPO 2217-08 from lightflightrc. It goes for about $19 and would swing a 10x5 or 6 prop.

• 70g Outrunner
• Kv: 1100, Rm: 0.125, io: 1.0A, Poles: 14
• Max amps: 18A for 60sec
• Shaft is 4.0 mm
• Dimensions: 27.5mm x 30mm

I'm using a Suppo 28-14-08 because I wanted a bigger motor for extra weight up front. The bigger motor is $27 and it is out of stock.

Good luck.
Kevin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer24
Anyone recommend a good motor for this bird w/o breaking the bank or swinging a large prop?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:04 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,300 Posts
You get some new decals ordered up?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:18 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer24
I have had very good results using The following combination:-

Motor http://www.unitedhobbies.com/unitedh...idproduct=6247
ESC http://www.unitedhobbies.com/unitedh...?idproduct=656
Batteryhttp://www.unitedhobbies.com/unitedh...idproduct=6293

The propeller I use is a GWS 10 X 8 HD. Thrust with this propeller was measured at 28.6oz with a static pitch speed of 51.8 mph.The current draw was 15.5 Amps. So an !800 mAh battery is enough to give 8-10 minutes flight including some part throttle flying for practice approaches.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:19 PM
Solidworks
Stanfield,NC
Joined Apr 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDad
I would recommend a SUPPO 2217-08 from lightflightrc. It goes for about $19 and would swing a 10x5 or 6 prop.

• 70g Outrunner
• Kv: 1100, Rm: 0.125, io: 1.0A, Poles: 14
• Max amps: 18A for 60sec
• Shaft is 4.0 mm
• Dimensions: 27.5mm x 30mm

I'm using a Suppo 28-14-08 because I wanted a bigger motor for extra weight up front. The bigger motor is $27 and it is out of stock.

Good luck.
Kevin.

Right now I have a Turnigy sk aerodrive 35-30/1100kv on it and I have tried 3 dif prop sizes 12x6 apc, 11x8 apc and a 13x6 or 13x8 cant remember and cant get over 140 watts. Batteries are fine. What am I missing here?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:46 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
988 Posts
that motor should work verly well.. you should pull more watts than you are though. what size battery are you running?
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Jul 23, 2009, 06:53 PM
Never look down
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Jun 2007
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
I have had very good results using The following combination:-

Motor http://www.unitedhobbies.com/unitedh...idproduct=6247
ESC http://www.unitedhobbies.com/unitedh...?idproduct=656
Batteryhttp://www.unitedhobbies.com/unitedh...idproduct=6293

The propeller I use is a GWS 10 X 8 HD. Thrust with this propeller was measured at 28.6oz with a static pitch speed of 51.8 mph.The current draw was 15.5 Amps. So an !800 mAh battery is enough to give 8-10 minutes flight including some part throttle flying for practice approaches.

Ken
Any videos of your plane with that setup?
Hack73 is offline Find More Posts by Hack73
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:05 AM
Solidworks
Stanfield,NC
Joined Apr 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57sailplane
that motor should work verly well.. you should pull more watts than you are though. what size battery are you running?

3s 2200 20c.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 01:14 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack73
Any videos of your plane with that setup?
Sorry but I do not have video of the model flying with this set up.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jul 24, 2009, 09:46 AM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
1,995 Posts
Yes, thanks Tram for you PM. I wanted to check with you before contactig Callie. She is sending the correct ones out free of charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
You get some new decals ordered up?