SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:07 AM
Registered User
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Who's got the best deal on these kits? Do they sell just a bare kit or do I have to buy entire plane gut and rebuild?

I'm afraid of paiting so does the kit with the motor and gear box come pre painted. It looks like the slope glider kit is just white? Does it need to be painted or should I just get the ARF and gut it?

I've got extra parts laying around and figured I would put one together. Let me know what you think of this setup if it works.
1500-2200 3S several
Turnigy SK 35-36 960KV was using it on my PZ F4U but the 1400kv better fit
Super Simple 40A ESC
HXT 900 9g Servo's 3 of them. I think I have a couple of HiTec 55's laying
AR500 reciver I'll borrow out of another plane.
prop's- 10x7, 11x7, 11x8, 10x10, 12x8, 11x5.5
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Last edited by Fidy$Trainer; Jul 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:18 PM
V=IR
mcsarge's Avatar
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer
Who's got the best deal on these kits? Do they sell just a bare kit or do I have to buy entire plane gut and rebuild?

I'm afraid of paiting so does the kit with the motor and gear box come pre painted. It looks like the slope glider kit is just white? Does it need to be painted or should I just get the ARF and gut it?

I've got extra parts laying around and figured I would put one together. Let me know what you think of this setup if it works.
1500-2200 3S several
Turnigy SK 35-36 960KV was using it on my PZ F4U but the 1400kv better fit
Super Simple 40A ESC
HXT 900 9g Servo's 3 of them. I think I have a couple of HiTec 55's laying
AR500 reciver I'll borrow out of another plane.
prop's- 10x7, 11x7, 11x8, 10x10, 12x8, 11x5.5
That is all the parts I have for mine! you can get both the EPP and the EPO without any motor. The regular prices you can get for this kit are great, good quality and a complete set of hardware.

Matt
mcsarge is offline Find More Posts by mcsarge
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:25 PM
Registered User
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,013 Posts
fidy$trainer, can't help you on the cheapest price for a FW190, but it sounds like you have all the parts for a nice flying plane.

I like the 960kv motor, 2200 3S battery, 40A ESC, 2 x 9g servos for rudder & elevator, and 2 x HS-55s for ailerons, 11x7 prop. You may want to use a BEC for 4 servos, or not if you just use 3. The 1400kv motor will give you more speed but lower your flight time as well as other flight changes.

Don't be afraid of painting these planes. Just use a water based acrylic paint such as Folk Art, Apple Barrel, Delta Ceramcoat, etc... and brush it on by hand.

Good luck,
Kevin.
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:35 PM
Registered User
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,013 Posts
Here are my stats:

Suppo 2814-08 (35x36mm) 1100kv
Battery 2200mah 20c 3s
Prop 10 x 7 apc
Servos 6
(ailerons, flaps, retracts, elevator, rudder)
BEC
Paper / Polycrylic glass 80% of plane
Acrylic paint airbrushed
Weight (ready to fly) 30 oz

Kevin.
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:09 PM
Registered User
stacker's Avatar
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,369 Posts
Here is my second 190.

Same power as my D9 conversion. Using a GWS 400 gearbox with a 3800KV heli motor. Battery is either 2100 3s or 1800 3s. Prop. is FSK and both cowl and spinner are hand made. All paint is cheap craft paint with light blue first coat being hand painted with sponge brush, followed with airbrushing of camo. Also have retracts that are GreatPlanes 10 size.

Cheers--Stacker
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:19 PM
Never look down
Hack73's Avatar
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Jun 2007
383 Posts
I'm using a 3s 2200mah battery and had to carve the foam out in the front of the battery tray to slide it forward to get the correct CG. Has everyone had the same experience?
Hack73 is offline Find More Posts by Hack73
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:21 PM
Never look down
Hack73's Avatar
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Jun 2007
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker
Here is my second 190.

Same power as my D9 conversion. Using a GWS 400 gearbox with a 3800KV heli motor. Battery is either 2100 3s or 1800 3s. Prop. is FSK and both cowl and spinner are hand made. All paint is cheap craft paint with light blue first coat being hand painted with sponge brush, followed with airbrushing of camo. Also have retracts that are GreatPlanes 10 size.

Cheers--Stacker
How did you hand make the cowl & spinner?
Hack73 is offline Find More Posts by Hack73
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:53 PM
Registered User
stacker's Avatar
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,369 Posts
Hack73,
Cowl was made out of foam with the front 1" out of balsa. Spinner is made up of balsa and ply disks glued together and sanded down on a drill press. Also spinner is two piece design with the outer piece having a 4mm nut glued in for tightening down on rear part and FSK prop. The added weight of the cowl and spinner helps with the CG I believe.

Take care--Stacker
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 05:37 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
spinnetti's Avatar
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker
Here is my second 190.

Same power as my D9 conversion. Using a GWS 400 gearbox with a 3800KV heli motor. Battery is either 2100 3s or 1800 3s. Prop. is FSK and both cowl and spinner are hand made. All paint is cheap craft paint with light blue first coat being hand painted with sponge brush, followed with airbrushing of camo. Also have retracts that are GreatPlanes 10 size.

Cheers--Stacker
I wonder why you even bother with the donor plane.. seems you need to re-do 90% to get it looking so good! How did you do your cooling fan?

PS, I found that vac forming the spinner, I don't even have to have a backing plate. I just put a drop of ca on the FSK prop where the spinner goes over. Weighs pretty much nothing and spins nice and true
spinnetti is online now Find More Posts by spinnetti
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 05:48 PM
Reap the wild wind
headlessagain's Avatar
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,301 Posts
Hack73
my motor weighs in at 77 grams and I'm running a 2200 MAh 3 cell lipo pushed to the front of the standard battery compartment. My motor mount area has been beefed up with lots of ply and epoxy following a heavy landing - I lost elevator on a diving straffing run! The front end has also been glued together in 2 places so carrying a bit of extra weight forward of the c of g. This is a tough old bird so never write one off. The foam brakes cleanly and is easy to repair.
Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 06:07 PM
Registered User
57sailplane's Avatar
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack73
How did you hand make the cowl & spinner?
i cut both the front and back of mine out before i glued the 2 halves togather. i have since cut out more out of the back to install a turnigy 4000mah battery. she is a bit heavy for my tast at 34 oz. but i the flight times are almost twice as long.. 20min. in the heat.. she is a real handful to land.. anyways i think most have cut to fit in the battery compartment. unless they have a shorter battery.
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 06:30 PM
Registered User
stacker's Avatar
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,369 Posts
spinnetti,
Cooling fan is just a hard balsa disk with sections cut out and rounded. It is clued to the outer cowl ring and both are held with mags for motor access.
Yep, a lot of work but wing and everything behind the cowl is stock so not to bad. I just could not live with that melting plastic cowl, also I'm not such a good pilot and I nose over a lot so the strong balsa spinner and cowl will take a bunch of abuse. Just to hard to find replacement parts at a good price.

Take care --Stacker
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 08:18 PM
Never look down
Hack73's Avatar
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Jun 2007
383 Posts
What is the size of the hub on the 2" wheels or the size of the landing gear wire?
Hack73 is offline Find More Posts by Hack73
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:42 PM
Registered User
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarge
That is all the parts I have for mine! you can get both the EPP and the EPO without any motor. The regular prices you can get for this kit are great, good quality and a complete set of hardware.

Matt
Looks like they have several diffrent versions. What is EPP and EPO? I've seen Slope Glider not sure what that version is either. I've also seen NPS No Power System but in white. Is there such a kit that comes painted with all the hardware with out any electronics? Thats what I'd like to get but cant find it. I also saw a spitfire that looked like it had heavier landing gear. Is there a new model comming out with LiPo's? GWS-40? What's this all about. Sorry guys for all the noob questions. I'm new to the GWS scene and still lots of research to do.b
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:42 AM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
SKYPILEIT's Avatar
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,254 Posts
diff foam versions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer
Looks like they have several diffrent versions. What is EPP and EPO? I've seen Slope Glider not sure what that version is either. I've also seen NPS No Power System but in white. Is there such a kit that comes painted with all the hardware with out any electronics? Thats what I'd like to get but cant find it. I also saw a spitfire that looked like it had heavier landing gear. Is there a new model comming out with LiPo's? GWS-40? What's this all about. Sorry guys for all the noob questions. I'm new to the GWS scene and still lots of research to do.b

EPP & EPO are different kinds of foam...EPP=standard foam EPO= tougher foam

I believe GWS uses EPP foam for the painted versions.

Slope glider kits mean the box contains just the basic airframe,no electronics at all.All GWS planes can use li-pos,are they supplied with the kit.?Refer to retailers kit description for clarification.

yes,there is a P-40 warbird,which has it's own thread in the GWS forum.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product **** GWS-190: Unbeatable Butcher Bird **** RAY GWS Product Announcements 4 May 15, 2007 03:00 AM
Yippee! Balsacraft FW 190 'Butcher Bird' W@CC0 Scale Kit/Scratch Built 116 Feb 24, 2006 09:51 AM
the butcher bird(FW-190) kase_kopf Foamies (Kits) 16 Dec 16, 2005 03:47 PM
GWS Corsair tuff little bird xmech Parkflyers 10 Feb 13, 2004 11:34 PM
GWS PT-17 late bird maiden sheerLuck GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 7 Oct 05, 2003 10:50 PM