HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 05:25 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
1,006 Posts
well guys i just got back from flying. this is the first summer i've flown with the lipos. wow does heat make a differance or what on the flight time. it nocked about 3-5min off my times going from 15 to 10 min.. the batteries seem rather warm. not hot mind you but i think i could use some air in the fuse.. might help..

i just got done trying out the 4000mah 15c 3s turnigy in this plane wow what a hand full. flies more like what i would say a real warbird. although i have not flown a gas warbird. but with this set up in her i think it must be close to what i have read how a scale or war bird should fly like. i had to have lots more speed to keep her in the air. she did not jump off the ground either, took some grunt. she flew with more speed and on rails like responce. if you nosed her down she would just excelerate, and climbs were also very good.

she was a hand full for sure.. i tested the 36-42 1300kv turnigy motor last night finally and found she is a 1398kv, or 1400kv. i thought she pulled a bit more amps than normal.

landings were exciting. when you brought here in she did not flote that much. weighing in at 35ounces she is a pig. i had to really be on the stick to get her in without a hickup..

battery temp was less with this bigger battery then my 2200 3s 25c's which i found very interesting..

all in all i think the weight is a bit much but i will be definatly doing it again since i am getting 20min flight times at much faster speed. i do not think i will need another one of these batteries as once per sesion is quite enough then i stick in the 2200 and have a little more relaxing flight...

anyways later guys... andrew k.
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2009, 06:05 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,283 Posts
Wow, thats a big pack for the FW190. How did you manage to get the c of g dialled in? At least with your set up you should be able to cope with windy days.
Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:58 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Wow, thats a big pack for the FW190. How did you manage to get the c of g dialled in? At least with your set up you should be able to cope with windy days.
Head

well its foam so i got out the knife and walla. i still dont no how close the balance was lol. just thumbed. i am bad that way. if it looks close go fly her.. anyways i really want to put flaps on her now. but that is set back again.

because i got my freinds plane done. we flew her and now i have to work on her again as she needs a knew motor shaft. he was trying to land.

get this yesterday on the very first flight of this scratch built plane other than the wing. i trimed her out and got her setled in and we hooked the budy cord up. he flew her around and brought her in for his very first ever landing. he has been flying one of my planes that is just like her on the buddy cord but has never attempted a landing. it was just crazy how it all happened.

anyways that big battery in the 190 is a hand ful to say the least and i really need to get the flaps on her..

later andrew k
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:09 AM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,013 Posts
Here is how she looks so far. I started to position the decals but found they were smaller than the ones I had ordered.

I took her out to re-maiden today. She took off quickly and I had trouble keeping her straight on the ground so I just gave more throttle and pulled up. Got her trimmed out nicely and set the elevator to flap compensations down. I noticed the wheels weren't all the way up! Flipping the switch up and down didn't help. So I flipped her inverted and they popped back in (not good). Coming in for a landing the landing gear came down nicely and I set her down with a fast shallow decent (I forgot to bring the flaps down), at the end of the runway I made my turn and one of the landing gear collapsed (darn that happed the last time I flew her). I increased the throw and it happened again while taxiing around.

I'm using a HS85 metal gear servo, I thought that should be enough torque (42 oz/inch) to work the retracts. Maybe I'm wrong. Any of you guys have experience with the torque requirements on retractable landing gear?

Kevin.
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:14 AM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,060 Posts
Kevin,

That's a great looking FW-190! Well done!
Chris F is online now Find More Posts by Chris F
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:06 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDad
I'm using a HS85 metal gear servo, I thought that should be enough torque (42 oz/inch) to work the retracts. Maybe I'm wrong. Any of you guys have experience with the torque requirements on retractable landing gear?

Kevin.
I have used two servos on my retracts. The first had 2.5 Kg/cm torque and worked but I had trouble getting the down and up locks adjusted. This servo had resin gears and one tooth stripped on the third gear in the gearbox. I changed to This 3.6 kg/cm metal geared servo and the down and up locks were much more positive.

The HS85MG servo has a torque of 3kg/cm at 4.8 volts.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jun 29, 2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:53 AM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Quote:
Here is how she looks so far. I started to position the decals but found they were smaller than the ones I had ordered.

I took her out to re-maiden today. She took off quickly and I had trouble keeping her straight on the ground so I just gave more throttle and pulled up. Got her trimmed out nicely and set the elevator to flap compensations down. I noticed the wheels weren't all the way up! Flipping the switch up and down didn't help. So I flipped her inverted and they popped back in (not good). Coming in for a landing the landing gear came down nicely and I set her down with a fast shallow decent (I forgot to bring the flaps down), at the end of the runway I made my turn and one of the landing gear collapsed (darn that happed the last time I flew her). I increased the throw and it happened again while taxiing around.

Kevin.
Wow, that is a great paint job! Beautiful. Good job!
mcsarge is offline Find More Posts by mcsarge
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:13 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,006 Posts
Rcdad, that thing is awsome. nice paint. good luck with the retracts.. how much does she weigh. i wander if this might be a contributing factor as they are colapsing wile on the ground and not landing.

anyways later andrew k.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 01:44 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,013 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for the encouragement! The plane weighs 867 g or 30 oz ready to fly.
I'm not sure if the weight is a factor. The wheels didn't retract completely in the air until I went inverted. They do retract and extend nicely on the bench. I just might not have enough servo torque. What how much torque are you guys using for your retracts?

Ken, so did you use two of those 3.6 kg/cm servos or one? I have a spare Multiplex Polo digi 4 servo. I'll have to check the specs on that one to see if it has a higher torque rating.

The failing retract situation (and the melting cowling) is putting damper on my ethusiasm for this plane.

Thanks for the input guys,
Kevin.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:06 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys, thanks for the encouragement! The plane weighs 867 g or 30 oz ready to fly.
I'm not sure if the weight is a factor. The wheels didn't retract completely in the air until I went inverted. They do retract and extend nicely on the bench. I just might not have enough servo torque. What how much torque are you guys using for your retracts?

Ken, so did you use two of those 3.6 kg/cm servos or one? I have a spare Multiplex Polo digi 4 servo. I'll have to check the specs on that one to see if it has a higher torque rating.

The failing retract situation (and the melting cowling) is putting damper on my ethusiasm for this plane.

Thanks for the input guys,
Kevin.
I am using one servo on my retracts.

As for the cowling I am careful not to leave the model in my car for very long. As well I cover the cowling and canopy with a hand towel whenever there is a chance of the sun getting on it.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jun 29, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 01:49 AM
Joined Aug 2008
204 Posts
Hey RCDad,

really great looking thing...
I use a standard (size and power) servo for my retracts.
Total weight is around 1100g.
In my case it helped to shape the wheel covers the way that oncoming air (propeller/speed) "hleps" the servo by pushing the retract up.
Means, when you have a look at the landing gear from above when extended, the wheel covers are shaped like a plough somehow.
Hope you understand.
Couldn't believe that there is influence, but in fact it is...

Btw sorry for my english, but I'm from switzerland.

Regards Markus
carrerars is offline Find More Posts by carrerars
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:06 AM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,013 Posts
Thanks Ken and Marcus.

I may have to go with a more powerfull servo as that will be the easiest thing to do at this point.

I do understand about shaping the wheel covers to get the airt to push them up. But that doesn't explain why they failed on the ground. And your English is fine. But I thought all Sweeds speak English, at least they do on TV

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerars
Hey RCDad,

really great looking thing...
I use a standard (size and power) servo for my retracts.
Total weight is around 1100g.
In my case it helped to shape the wheel covers the way that oncoming air (propeller/speed) "hleps" the servo by pushing the retract up.
Means, when you have a look at the landing gear from above when extended, the wheel covers are shaped like a plough somehow.
Hope you understand.
Couldn't believe that there is influence, but in fact it is...

Btw sorry for my english, but I'm from switzerland.

Regards Markus
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:49 PM
Never look down
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Jun 2007
383 Posts
Has anyone found an alternative replacement cowl for this plane? I thought I read that a 2 litter bottle would work but it was too small.
Hack73 is offline Find More Posts by Hack73
Old Jul 01, 2009, 07:37 AM
Munich Bavaria
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
Focke over Bavaria

May i share with you some Focke pictures:

Enjoy flying NOT only building...

Regards

BigBuck
bigbuck is offline Find More Posts by bigbuck
Old Jul 01, 2009, 11:35 AM
Never look down
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Jun 2007
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack73
Has anyone found an alternative replacement cowl for this plane? I thought I read that a 2 litter bottle would work but it was too small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashmaster71
I just ordered spare EPO parts for a P-40 from caliber. They cost the same as the EPS ones plus $5. There is absolutely no mention of this on the website though. I had to email sales in order to find out how to get EPO. The sales dept. was very helpful, but they really should list the EPO parts on the site.

I got my answer and hope this will help out others...

Update:
Here is the email that I received about EPO parts:

Quote:
Hi,
You can go to this link for parts: http://www.caliberhobby.com/gws190parts.html
They are listed for EPS but for parts# GWAEO025-FAS2 and GWAEO025-FAS3, they are $5 more for EPO parts.
If you wish to order the EPO parts, we will request additional balance by PayPal. So you may go ahead and place your order for the EPS but note that you wanted it in EPO.

Thank you for choosing Caliber Hobby.

Caliber Hobby
Customer Service: sales@caliberhobby.com
Online Store: www.caliberhobby.com
Hack73 is offline Find More Posts by Hack73
Last edited by Hack73; Jul 01, 2009 at 03:13 PM.