HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2007, 05:42 PM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Contest
Build Off: Kyushu J7W1 Shinden

So I guess itīs time to get the Shinden Build Off thread started:

The Shinden or Magnificent Lightning was designed to be Japanīs first jet powered fighter. Three prototypes were built before the war ended and only three flights (all gear down) were made. The prototypes were equipped with piston engines because the jet engines that Germany tried to export to Japan never reached its destination.

The Shinden was a canard design with the horisontal stabilizers in front and the engine in the back in a pusher configuration. The plane was very different from other fighters of that periode, but compared to modern fighters it looks like the japanese engineers were on to something

My Shinden model will have a 31.5 " span, Micro Air Retracts, Vario prop and a Typhoon Micro 15/10 Brushless outrunner motor.

Michael Hammer, Hammer Models
michaelghammer is online now Find More Posts by michaelghammer
Last edited by michaelghammer; Dec 23, 2008 at 04:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2007, 06:08 PM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
This is the first time that I use Rhino 3D, so progress is very slow. Until now AutoCAD has been my primary choice of CAD software, but I have heard so many good things about Rhino, so I decided to give it a try.

Iīm almost done with the fuselage, and need to get started on the wing. All parts are balsa except the engine firewall in the back.

Old Feb 15, 2007, 01:09 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
Canardly Wait

I think Pat Tritle did a build thread on the Shinden some time ago. Col Bob Thacker did a large IC version some years back. Interesting and challenging design.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 15, 2007, 04:13 AM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
I think Pat Tritle did a build thread on the Shinden some time ago. Col Bob Thacker did a large IC version some years back. Interesting and challenging design.
Don't forget jhas' great version he built after scaling up the Dave Diels kit...gorgeous flyer!
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Feb 15, 2007, 05:12 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,988 Posts
Also available as a plan from Traplet by Chris Golds. 800mm span Plan #MW 2955
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:14 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Well, it seems that I picked a plane that has been modelled plenty before . But my intention was never to be "The first man in the world to design and build a Shinden". I just find it very fascinating and have always wanted to build one.
The reason why I havnīt built one before is that I normally build my planes "gear up" and the vertical stabilizers that protrude down beneath the plane would be in great risk of being ripped of the plane when landing. The thought of mounting fixed gear on a plane like this (or any other plane that had retractable gear) never appealed to me. So I waited... one solution I considered was to mount the lower part of the stabs with magnets and let them depart from the plane when landing. Not a very scale like solution but it could have worked
The best solution came in the shape of a set of Micro Air Retracts from RC-Warbirds. These retracts are perfect for my Shinden. I will build functional gear struts to mount on the Micro Air Retracts. I already did struts for my Depron Bronco and they work fine and look like the real deal: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...23#post6868599 More about the Shinden struts soon...

Old Feb 16, 2007, 05:01 PM
SHINDENBOY
ATHENS
Joined Feb 2007
138 Posts
Hello My Name Is Argyris And I Build Also One Shinden.
argyris is offline Find More Posts by argyris
Old Feb 18, 2007, 04:41 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Hi Argyris

Now thatīs a VERY impressive Shinden, youīre building there, Argyris Is it your own design or is it built from a plan? Just from looking at the photos I learned something new about the plane. I never knew that the elevator of the canard was in two pieces and moved almost like a fowler flap. Very interesting. If you have any good 3-plan view with details, I would love to have a copy of it. I only have a low resolution 3-plan view with few cross sections.

Or if you have any good pictures or drawings that might help me with the design of my Shinden I would really appreciate it. Just let me know if you can help and I will give you my E-mail adress.

Old Feb 18, 2007, 05:40 PM
SHINDENBOY
ATHENS
Joined Feb 2007
138 Posts
Hello Again And Thank You.i Have Make The Plans Alone And From 1/48 Hasegava Plastic Model.then I Risize In 1/6 Scale.i Build It 3 Years Now And It S Near To Finish It.i Have Also One Good Plan From Airview 1978 Years Which Is Very Exact And It Help Me Very Much.one Friend He Send Me From Japan.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 05:43 PM
SHINDENBOY
ATHENS
Joined Feb 2007
138 Posts
If You Want To See More Photos You Can Go To Rcscalebuilder Site And Write To Search The Word Shinden.i Have Send There A Lot Of Photos.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:10 PM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Hi Argyris

I checked the thread over at RCscalebuilder.com and found some helpfull bits of information especially about the CG location. I just hope that you have your CG spot on when you maiden the plane. With all that work that you have put into your Shinden, you deserve to be rewarded with a perfect flying model Good luck!!!

What a shame that the surviving Shinden is hidden in a storage building. I would love to see it for real someday. That goes for it "Room mate" too, the Horten/Go229. I just hope that the museum will restore and exhibited them soon.

- Michael
Old Feb 20, 2007, 09:45 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Joined Feb 2005
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelghammer
RCscalebuilder.com and found some helpfull bits of information especially about the CG location. I just hope that you have your CG spot on when you maiden the plane.
- Michael
Michael.
You might want to check out this site for some helpfull hints. There is information there on the canard COG calculator.
I have completed and flown my Shinden and it flies very good.
Good luck with yours C-YA RL
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613556
InspectorGadget is offline Find More Posts by InspectorGadget
Old Feb 21, 2007, 05:20 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Thanks Inspector!!!

Great thread, lots of info in there. Still reading...

A civillian Shinden!!! What a great idea I know you can buy a FW190 replica in Germany and a Me262 in the US so why not a replica Shinden. Some reverse engineering on the Smithsonian Shinden and voila... I would buy one...well maybe, if I had the money...

- Michael
Old Feb 21, 2007, 01:22 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Joined Feb 2005
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelghammer
Thanks Inspector!!!

Great thread, lots of info in there. Still reading...

A civillian Shinden!!! What a great idea I know you can buy a FW190 replica in Germany and a Me262 in the US so why not a replica Shinden. Some reverse engineering on the Smithsonian Shinden and voila... I would buy one...well maybe, if I had the money...

- Michael
Michael,
Well what I meant was, that it is not painted in the drab military colors but something a little more visable.
C-YA RL
InspectorGadget is offline Find More Posts by InspectorGadget