HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:24 PM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
Help!
Owens Flagship

My dad bought an Dumas Owens 42' Flagship some 50 years ago, and it never got built. Now I'm trying to build it, but I've never done one of these, and other than some rough 50 year old prints, I have no idea what it should look like.

On top of that, I want to build it as an RC, but original metal parts seem to have aged badly, and I don't know enough about boats to try outfitting it my self with modern equivalents.

So anyone ever build one of these, or maybe have pictures?
Also, any advice to a new wooden modeler would be greatly welcome.
Drunkskunk is offline Find More Posts by Drunkskunk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:49 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,780 Posts
I have heard of this kit but have never seen one! Very cool! How large is it? (that will help get the ideas started!)
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:19 AM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
looks like it will be a 26 incher. I want to build it as a twin screw. the little I could find about the real thing says it was a twin, but the model only came with one prop, shaft, and rudder. They could be used for a static display, but are too coroded to ever be used for running gear. The blade, and all the metal fittings seemed to be cast lead, and it seems to have oxidized pretty badly.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:27 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Searching for "Owens Flagship" in Google throws up lots of sites mentioning them.. and some pics.
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:46 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkskunk
looks like it will be a 26 incher. I want to build it as a twin screw. the little I could find about the real thing says it was a twin, but the model only came with one prop, shaft, and rudder. They could be used for a static display, but are too coroded to ever be used for running gear. The blade, and all the metal fittings seemed to be cast lead, and it seems to have oxidized pretty badly.
I'm about to start on a 25 1/4' Sea Hornet (British) classic open cockpit circa late 1950's. Seeing as the 'Owens' you have is a similar size i thought some of my 'fittings' might be similar.

For Prop shafts / tubes and props i would look at Harbour Models http://www.harbormodels.com/Harborma...ates/index.htm
they have a variety in stock. What prop does the kit recommend?.
I was going to power my Hornet with an ex car motor, though if you are planning on a 'twin' motor set up, you might be better off with some smaller motors. The same goes for props.. Perhaps someone else in the forum could assist here please...

For cast 'bits and Pieces Bluejacket Ship Crafters (having looked in their catalog) seems to have some of the cast metal fittings that you need. http://www.bluejacketinc.com/fittings/index.htm

Do you have radio?.. Speed control?...batteries?....
Old Feb 14, 2007, 01:21 AM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
Thanks for the links, those are going to help a lot!

Yeah, I found a bunch of stuff on the 30 foot flagship, but not much on the 42 foot, and they seem to be very different from one another. apparently they stopped building the 42 foot ship in the 40s, and the 30 footer didn't come around untill 1964 or so.

I did manage to find some interior shots a year ago, but thats been about it. I've only found exterior shots of one 42 footer, and its' been refitted. it seems every picture I've found of a 42' since then is of that one particular ship.

radio gear I'm set for, i have a DX6 for my planes, and a few spare servos laying around. I even have a spare 18 brushless controller, but I honestly don't know what size motors this thing should use. the instructions are vague and I think the sizing has changed plenty since then. when my dad was into the hobby, reed style radios were new technology.

So how do you go about choosing a motor size for something like this?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 01:43 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the links, those are going to help a lot!

Yeah, I found a bunch of stuff on the 30 foot flagship, but not much on the 42 foot, and they seem to be very different from one another.

radio gear I'm set for, i have a DX6 for my planes, and a few spare servos laying around. I even have a spare 18 brushless controller, but I honestly don't know what size motors this thing should use.

So how do you go about choosing a motor size for something like this?
Glad the links were of use, if i can think of any others, then i will let you have them. There will be some others giving you some advice in here too by the way.

When i had a quick look at those 'Owens' that showed up on the search i did it seemed most were of the 30 foot version.. though someone here usually knows 'another' source of information

The radio you have seems to be ok, though i'm not sure about going brushless.. Though it is a thought to go for something like a pair of brushless motors from an Associated 18T/ B.... Though thats twice the expence and you might be better off with two brushed motors and controllers (ESC's) at least to start with.... As i said in my earlier post, someone else in here has probably done a twin of about the same size and may be able to help.
Finding motors to suit is a matter of trial and error i'm affraid.. unless someone else has 'been there, done that'..

You do realise of course that your kit is considered to be 'vintage' and is probably a collectors item?.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 02:02 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
motor size depends on how fast you want it to go & how many volts you plan on using. for sport use a couple of 27t car motors(05) might be the ticket. or if you insist on bl power a pair of feigao 540 12s motors on 6 cells(7.2 - 7.4v). personally I'd try a pair of brushed motors 1st(if for no other reason the esc's are about 1/3 the price(or less))
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
Old Feb 14, 2007, 03:38 AM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
Yeah, its a bit vintage. my father bought it while working in a hobby shop when he was 19 to 21. he's 72 now. its something he always ment to start and never got around to. he left it behind when he retired, and I decided it needs to be done. the balsa is as dry and crumbly as styrofoam, but only a couple of sheets shrank, and I'll be able to use more than 90% of the parts. I made a new keel for it out of bass wood a year ago and then quit. now I'm cutting the ribs. Its on the kitchen table, and the intention is to finish it before I clean the table. it may be a valuable collectors item, but it means more to me as a family heirloom.

And thats the main reason I had considered brushless motors, as they don't wear out, though I can see now a good case for brushed motors. I fly planes, and don't have any experience with boats. What I have for batteries right now is a collection of 11.2 volt Lipo cells in 900mha and 2100 mah verity. I'm not opposed to buying batteries for the boat as well, but my experience with brushless has taught me that higher voltage is more efficient.. at least in planes.

My goals are for semi scale preformance on this. probably in the 10 mph range. its possable I may never actualy put it in the water more than once, given its age and history, but I want it to be able to run. A static model has no meaning for me. But regardless of how often I run it, another 50 years from now, when i'm 72 and my kids have it, I want them to be able to run it.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 03:44 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
it may be a valuable collectors item, but it means more to me as a family heirloom.
I can understand that DS, i had to leave my Hornet behind in Great Britain when i moved to the USA. The 'original' Hornet was one my late Father built for me when i was about 6 years old..
I need to build a replacement...
Old Feb 14, 2007, 05:48 AM
Keep her steady as she go
USA, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Sep 2006
107 Posts
This site Mack Products Model Marine has everything you need. Motor and speed controlers to match, and running gear. He has been in business a long time and knows what works. www.mackproductsrc.com I hope this helps. By the way we had one of thease boats and it was of extreme quality for a production built boat. Much better than a Cris Craft, and faster too.
Captain Bill is offline Find More Posts by Captain Bill
Old Feb 14, 2007, 06:51 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
Drunkskunk,
I honestly doubt if you have to worry about a 'brushed' motor(s) wearing out in that boat. Especially if you don't plan to run it much. Unless you are aiming for very high performance (aw, not with this boat, please) there's not much need for really efficient or fast motors, or multiple ESCs. The 'lipo's ought to work just fine, just remember the voltage rating when you shop for the ESC(s). A couple of smallish motors ought to give it scale performance. And, just like planes, the pitch/size of the props will affect performance.
Good luck!
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Feb 14, 2007, 08:34 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,731 Posts
Quote:
Wow! Just tuned in on this thread when I saw the name, "Owens". DS, you have a real classic in your hands.

Like a few of the guys suggest, you can power it with regular brushed motors and get excellent results without spending a fortune. They won't wear out for a really long time.

MACK Products should have the running gear you need to fit it out, and they're VERY familiar with wooden boats---.
der kapitan is online now Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Feb 14, 2007, 07:40 PM
Ray Farina
Northeast Pennsylvania
Joined Jan 2006
244 Posts
I have looked into the 2005 Directory of "the Antique & Classic Boat Society Inc." and they list a Owens Triple Cabin 42 Foot. The name of the owner is Howard Percival Johnson Jr. www.hojooldtimeworld.com Phone number is 301-627-2114 Hias mailing address is Old Time World, 15200 Mt. Calverd Road, Upper Marlboro, Md. 20772.
Why don't you E-Mail him or call him up and ask if he would sent you some pictures of it, so you could build it properly and use a regular paint scheme on it. If I can Be of furthur assistance come back to me at R.R.Farina@att.net.
Ray Farina is offline Find More Posts by Ray Farina