HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Stoner
Memphis TN
Joined Nov 2006
95 Posts
Discussion
Rear Axle/Chain Tensioner Help

Whats up guys it has been a while since I posted but I just got all the parts I needed to get my bike running. I put a new axle on it and I am having a ton of trouble getting the chain to the right tension. The problem is that the chain has a really tight spot and then it is really loose everywhere else. It is so tight that the wheel wont turn on its own then rotate it and almost everywhere else it slaps the swingarm. The bike is a TTR FM-1E. I was wondering if I am not getting the axle perfectly straight because of the one sided swingarm. Does the double sided swingarm help with this problem? I have checked everything over and over and nothing is really out of whack as far as straitness of the sprockets and the front sprocket /spur shaft. Any suggestions cause I have tried for about an hour strait and I'm about ready to kill the thing

Thanks a lot
FlyinHigh420 is offline Find More Posts by FlyinHigh420
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2007, 07:26 PM
Joined Jul 2006
299 Posts
check that the front sprocket isnt running out of true, have seen it wher the centre of the gear is a bit worn or over tolerance, or shaft is a bit small, this combined with the tolerances etc means that tightening up the grub screw pulls the sprocket of centre

failing that check that the rear sprocket is running cetral and that the chain is good

remove chain and hand check each link, while chain is off spin the back wheel and eye up the sprocket side on to see if its got any run out
AC-racing is offline Find More Posts by AC-racing
Old Feb 13, 2007, 07:39 PM
No Shelf Queens.No Bling
Newark.Nottinghamshire.UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,961 Posts
Mark the tight spot with a marker pen.

Take the chain off and wiggle the tight links to see if you can free them,if not,get a flat headed nail punch or steel rod and give the link round the rivet a few sharp taps with a hammer and the punch.

All chains have a tight spot,set the tension on the tight spot,oil it and run it a few times to see if it loosens up.

Allan
Allan Waterfall is offline Find More Posts by Allan Waterfall
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Stoner
Memphis TN
Joined Nov 2006
95 Posts
thanks guys ill try that but the chain and front sprocket are brand new and i checked both of them but i will definitely double check
Old Feb 14, 2007, 02:43 AM
Joined Jul 2006
299 Posts
if the chain is good, then the problem has to be in my opinion, one of the sprockets running eccentric, ie like a cam, thus giving the tight spots

are you running with a seperate rear hub and sprocket or 1 piece one
AC-racing is offline Find More Posts by AC-racing
Old Feb 14, 2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Stoner
Memphis TN
Joined Nov 2006
95 Posts
I have all the stock bike parts basically. my only mod is tyres and relocating the skid bar. i originally thought that the problem was the rear sprocket spinning eccentrically. it is hard to see with the naked eye but as far as i saw it was the only questionable piece. Is there any way to fix that or just get the one piece sprocket/hub. which one of those is the best?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 02:21 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
FWIW: I think every chain/sprocket final drive I've ever had has had tight spots in it, and I've never been able to see any runout in the front or rear sprockets to account for it. I have been able to determine the cause when I've seen the kinks in the chain.

Regardless of the cause, my solution (like other's) is to just run the chains loose enough to where the tight spots don't matter. The chain on one of my NF's has so many kinks that you can see it hopping around along the sprockets as the bike goes by. But it doesn't seem to adversely affect anything and I've only once ever thrown a loose chain.
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Feb 14, 2007, 03:24 PM
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,796 Posts
Check for a bent layshaft. That caused loose and tight spots on my TTn.

Bruce
slawsonb is online now Find More Posts by slawsonb
Old Feb 15, 2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Stoner
Memphis TN
Joined Nov 2006
95 Posts
yeah i checked everything and i am putting the bike back together. I was just really worried about the chain hopping off because it looks pretty loose to me but whatever I am tired of worrying about it and ready to run it. If The chain comes off hopefully it will be okay. But I am definitely gonna get a one piece hub soon. Or would you suggest just getting the two sided swingarm? Regardless thanks for the help once again. I want to go run my bike sooo bad but it is snowing right now. I do live in memphis though so it will surely be gone and dry tommorrow I hope!
Old Feb 15, 2007, 02:07 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinHigh420
yeah i checked everything and i am putting the bike back together. I was just really worried about the chain hopping off because it looks pretty loose to me but whatever I am tired of worrying about it and ready to run it. If The chain comes off hopefully it will be okay. But I am definitely gonna get a one piece hub soon. Or would you suggest just getting the two sided swingarm? Regardless thanks for the help once again. I want to go run my bike sooo bad but it is snowing right now. I do live in memphis though so it will surely be gone and dry tommorrow I hope!
I'd just run the chain loose enough so that it's not binding, and not worry too much about it. These little chains tend to stretch out pretty quickly anyway, and at least on my bikes, I rarely adjust them once they find the tension they want to be at. This is usually pretty darn loose, and all of my bikes have grooves worn into the top of the swingarms where the chains drag. The one time I did throw a chain it was because the rear axle nut had loosened enough to let the axle slide forward. And I had a one piece rear hub on at the time.
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Feb 15, 2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Stoner
Memphis TN
Joined Nov 2006
95 Posts
alright well that definitely relieves me a bit. I tried to run it today but it has been about 2 months at least since i ran it and I am definitely not good enough to run it on my narrow street. Hopefully it warms up a bit and I can run it in a parking lot soon.