Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:30 PM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,225 Posts
Discussion
Traveling East coast Australia

Hi it Michael here.
Im on a southern bound camping/flying hoilday at the moment.
I have come from Brisbane and have made it to Coffs Harbour so far. Im looking for fellow flyers to have a fly with and show me some local spots. Im a DS nutter and just love general front side flying as well.
I have with me in my car
1 X Destiny
1 X Drongo (Bluto copy)
1 X Bee/Zagi
Any fellow flyers please give me a call.
Im also on the look out for some cheep accommodation so if you dont mind me pitching a tent in your back yard give me a call or message.
My email address is;
draftsmanmick@yahoo.com.au
Phone No is 0403 894438
I might not be able to get back to the net for a day or so but id love to get in touch with anyone keen to help me out.
Happy flying to everyone.
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2007, 01:03 AM
Magic Blue Smoke costs to much
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Joined Dec 2004
2,710 Posts
Swoop, not to many places to fly at Coffs as all the good sites have been taken up by money hungry resort owners. If you head south of Coffs by about 20 km to a little town called "Sawtell" there is a spot on the head land there, not great but you'll get a fly in.

Head south 2hrs to Port Maquaire, there you'll find a fair few coastal sites to fly from. "Town Beach" and "Oxleys" are ok for getting a fix. drive down to the south end of Port Mac to "Lighthouse beach", not a bad hill to fly from in the afternoon sea breese's.

From there head down the "coast road" from Port to "Lauriton". You'll go through a small town call "Bonny Hills". Head for the caravan park across the road from the milk bar. Great spot and also shared by Hang gliders.

All the way down the from Bonny's to Lauriton is great flying, just look for the hang gliders.......

When you get to Lauriton head up "Big Brother" mountain. You can't miss it as it is the hill that stands 3000 ft tall. Awsome site......
jason H is offline Find More Posts by jason H
Old Feb 13, 2007, 06:05 AM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
Dunno Gunna... whadda about this site?

Michael, let us know if you are coming down Victoria ways.
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
Old Feb 13, 2007, 07:06 AM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samotage
Dunno Gunna... whadda about this site?

Michael, let us know if you are coming down Victoria ways.
Hahahaha, the Big Banana. My grands live in Coffs (many a GREAT Christmas spent there with all the family, when we were young then ). Love the place. Go to Boambee Beach lookout near the water tower well. It's a lookout point looking down at Boambee Beach south of Coffs. I have been there without a plane many a time . I remember another spot in Coffs BUT I really can't remember where it is. Try around the Diggers Beach area too.

http://www.coffscoast.com.au/nsw/beaches.shtml
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:39 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,325 Posts
Michael ,
let us know when you get down Sydney way we can hook you up with a few flying sites top of course by Otford.
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Feb 13, 2007, 04:27 PM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,225 Posts
Thanks alot guys.
The rain over the last few days have been affecting me so i decided late last night to drive further south to Port Maquaire. I did stop in at Sawtell. Its a lovely place. Theres not much wind around at the moment so i might hang around for a little while and hope that i can get a fly in this afternoon. Thanks Jason for the heads up on the sites i checked the ones at Port Maquaire out this moning and will check out the other sites tomorrow or later this afternoon. I might hit Newcastle and Sydney Friday and over the weekend.
Thanks for everyones help ill stay in touch and will be aiming to make Victoria within the week.
Cheers
Old Feb 13, 2007, 05:46 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,309 Posts
Try the guys at canberra, there are a few places to fly there, including one spot at least to DS. Lake George flys great in a Wly and has a huge area to fly from.

Cheers

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Feb 13, 2007, 06:00 PM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,081 Posts
Hi swoop, PM "alkoo" I'm sure he'll show you some DS sites he is flying at in Newcastle at the moment.

Don't forget big brother at Laureton/Camden Haven if you haven't yet. I think that's the handglider spot Jason was talking about

Cheers
Paul
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Feb 13, 2007, 09:01 PM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,190 Posts
Swoop,

Coffs is my home town.

You can frontside at Woolgoolga headland (north of Coffs), but its only average due to the low height of the headland.

You can DS the quarry on the southern side of the harbour in a southerly.

Just be aware that you are flying within 4 km of the airport so you have to be very careful about your altitude.

Send me a PM when you get to Newcastle and I can show you some DS sites.

Regards,

Waz
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Feb 14, 2007, 01:34 AM
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Joined Dec 2004
2,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouch
Hi swoop, PM "alkoo" I'm sure he'll show you some DS sites he is flying at in Newcastle at the moment.

Don't forget big brother at Laureton/Camden Haven if you haven't yet. I think that's the handglider spot Jason was talking about

Cheers
Paul
Yep, thats the spot Paul. Awsome place to fly and the view is fantastic.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 04:11 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,081 Posts
Yeah, I found that out when I got there. The Planes were 300 odd Km south in the shed.......

I also noticed a south/South east? side to the hill as well, other side of the car park. Not as nice, and the landing area was, well, lets just say EPP landing zone , but the hill looked like it would work fine enough. Here is a shot.

I have friends that live around the area, so I'll definately be throwing something in the car next time I head that way.
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Feb 14, 2007, 02:14 PM
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Joined Dec 2004
2,710 Posts
Yer Paul, the back side also works. How's the view up there! It's worth the drive just for the view. Believe it or not i've flown an old Aeroflyte Albrtross off the back side. I haven't been there in 2 years but I should go soon as I have family at the base of the hill.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 03:38 PM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,225 Posts
Thanks alot.
I managed to get a fly in at the Port Maquaire light house. Lovely spot. After about half an hour i ended up throwing the wing back in the car and just laying back enjoying the world. After i got a bit touched up by the sun i decided to keep heading south to Big brother. Another great spot. It was unfortunatly not great wind yesterday when i droped in. Worth the drive for the view though. Took some Pics and kept driving.
I ended up in Newcastle last night and am in awe of some of the huge frontside hills straight of the ocean. Wow you guys are lucky here. I got pretty excited and was going to throw my wing of before coming to my senses.. there was only about 5 Knots and i didnt wast to risk my neck recovering a possible out landing.
Good forcast today. Stiff NE wids so im going to fly here today and hopefully make it to Sydney tonight.
Thanks for all the help and local info.
Makes it so worthwhile.
Ill be sure to keep eveyone posted.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 03:54 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,325 Posts
Long reef ,Dobroyd point and then Otford your on a roll.
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Feb 15, 2007, 03:33 PM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,225 Posts
Thanks Steve
I hit Long reef yesterday.. Wow its a great spot. I was flying my Bee and was having a whole lot of laughs. Great spot and that clean ocean breeze was sooooo smooth it was great. There were a few other guys flying as well which was good including a 4 metre scale ship. Very nice.
Long reef has an awesome front side and a great DS ridge. There wasnt quite enough wind for me to throw up my Destiny and dive in but im hoping this afternoon things will be a little stronger. Seriously that hill looks fast. With a howling NE wind Im sure that there is some BIG speed ther.
The wind prediction is for NE winds which is not good for Otford so i might stay in Sydney and play on Long reef for the next few days before making a bee line to Melbourne.
Woo Hooooo its Friday today.
I hope ill have some other fellow flyers to fly with on the weekend.