SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2002, 01:41 PM
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
48 Posts
Hard start versus soft start electric motors

I have just installed a Mega 30/4 with a 2/1 planetary gearbox on a Rascal 40 conversion. I am using a Jeti/Hacker 30 Optical ESC. The prop. is an APC 16x12 electric. When I advance the throttle, I get a really sudden "hard start" on the motor, with a loud "clack." It runs fine, but I worry about damage to the gear box or motor from the hard start. I have tried lowering the trim for the throttle on the transmitter, and I have also put in 50% negative exponential on the throttle, but nothing seems to prevent the sudden and loud "hard start." Anybody have any ideas? Do I have a unique problem or is this something to be expected? Maybe I shouldn't worry about it, but I am accustomed to quiet, gradual "soft starts" on several other (smaller) controller/motor/gear systems.
Commando is offline Find More Posts by Commando
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2002, 01:57 PM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
So you have the Jeti/Hacker master controller? If so you need to change the timing on it for the mega motor, they come set for Hacker motors as default. that may be your problem.
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2002, 04:55 PM
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
48 Posts
Change timing for Mega motor

Hi Cue -

Thanks for the suggestion. I did set the timing for a Mega motor, but your suggestion makes me think I should recheck it --- just to make sure I picked the correct beep-tone sequence.
Commando is offline Find More Posts by Commando