HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2007, 04:45 PM
Upside down Miss Jane....
Georgetown, Newcastle, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
2,153 Posts
Help!
How to remove sigg sticks-it/balsa lok, etc - any tips out there

I am doing a model restoration and the wing was covered in one of those coverings that require balsa-lok, Sig sticks-it, etc to be applied to the balsa in order for the covering to stick.

The covering is off but I am left with this uneven, rough and annoyingly rubbery finish that needs to come off before recovering.

But how. Sanding is an exercise in frustration as the paper just clogs. I am using a heat gun to slowly melt and strip with a scraper but its not overly succesful either. I am just to about to try a dab of paint stipper to see if it will soften it enough so it can be scraped back cold but this may also affect any glue joints so not overly keen for this method either. -

Is there a way Are there any tips out there that can help me in my quest?

cheers, Shawn
Stuntman is offline Find More Posts by Stuntman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2007, 07:42 PM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman
Is there a way Are there any tips out there that can help me in my quest?
Coverite's "Ironex". will remove Balsarite, and butyrate dope thinner will remove Sig 'Stix-It'.

Do stay away from GooGone and Goof Off type products - the oil residue(s) will leave you in a worse predicament than you already are.

DAMHIKT.
the-plumber is offline Find More Posts by the-plumber
Old Feb 12, 2007, 08:11 PM
Upside down Miss Jane....
Georgetown, Newcastle, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
2,153 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Will hopefully make the process easier and less time consuming.

cheers, Shawn
Stuntman is offline Find More Posts by Stuntman