HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2007, 04:34 AM
Joined Aug 2006
8 Posts
Discussion
ASP Engine

Just wondering if anyone out knows any info on the ASP Engines, I can't seem to find a website or anything.

I have come across a ASP .40 Glow Engine that I got from a friend, he hasn't got a manual for it and I can't track one down for it anywhere. Does anyone out there know there story.

Thanks in advance
Tonyzam is offline Find More Posts by Tonyzam
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2007, 07:47 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,262 Posts
There's some information on the Just Engines website http://www.justengines.unseen.org/ASP.htm

They're nice people so if you ask they may send you a "manual".

ASPs are more or less the same engines as SC (Super Custom) and Magnum if that helps.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:01 AM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyzam
Just wondering if anyone out knows any info on the ASP Engines, I can't seem to find a website or anything.

I have come across a ASP .40 Glow Engine that I got from a friend, he hasn't got a manual for it and I can't track one down for it anywhere. Does anyone out there know there story.

Thanks in advance

i agree with sllipstick as i have an asp and a sc engine.but i think asp engines are much better made than sc engines and they are close to the quality of o.s in some of there models.
spitfire123 is offline Find More Posts by spitfire123
Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:01 AM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
what do u want the manuel for?
Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:54 AM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
ASP, SC, and Magnums, are all the same engines.
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:55 AM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
asp seem to run better than sc.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 01:06 PM
Joined Feb 2007
51 Posts

Well some are twain and some are made in china. Ive ran asp engines from the .46 abc to the 1.08 abc. they are good engines and run as good as any, The engine block castings don't seem to be as good as the os jap engines.And the machineing quality isent the same and the bearings don't seem to last as long as the japs engines. For the price they can't be beat. Just run a good fuel like byron premium sport10% nitro with real caster in it and you will see A difference in performance If you run cool power type fuel thats all snythetic lubercant, add 4 oz of real caster to 1 gallon of fuel for about 20% caster mix for greater lubercation and protection and you will see a couple hundred more rpm to. That really helps bushing type engines pick up more rpm and last longer to. Most engines require 18% caster oil mix. The byron fuel seems to give more stibility to air bleed carburatior engines like the os fp series engines in idle and a more stabile mixture setting I have found. The cool power fuel makes the engine run crankie when hot,cant seem to keep the carb settings right.Adding caster to the cool power really helps it out.
Athlon-DHU- is offline Find More Posts by Athlon-DHU-
Last edited by Athlon-DHU-; Feb 12, 2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: correction
Old Feb 12, 2007, 06:39 PM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon-DHU-
Well some are twain and some are made in china. Ive ran asp engines from the .46 abc to the 1.08 abc. they are good engines and run as good as any, The engine block castings don't seem to be as good as the os jap engines.And the machineing quality isent the same and the bearings don't seem to last as long as the japs engines. For the price they can't be beat. Just run a good fuel like byron premium sport10% nitro with real caster in it and you will see A difference in performance If you run cool power type fuel thats all snythetic lubercant, add 4 oz of real caster to 1 gallon of fuel for about 20% caster mix for greater lubercation and protection and you will see a couple hundred more rpm to. That really helps bushing type engines pick up more rpm and last longer to. Most engines require 18% caster oil mix. The byron fuel seems to give more stibility to air bleed carburatior engines like the os fp series engines in idle and a more stabile mixture setting I have found. The cool power fuel makes the engine run crankie when hot,cant seem to keep the carb settings right.Adding caster to the cool power really helps it out.

-------------

Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan
Last edited by Artisan; Feb 19, 2007 at 07:29 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 05:29 AM
Joined Aug 2006
8 Posts
Thanks all for your replies, I was after the manual to get the recommended prop sizes, fuel mixtures etc, but these posts pretty much answered my questions.
Tonyzam is offline Find More Posts by Tonyzam
Old Feb 13, 2007, 06:41 PM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
good-o
Old Feb 18, 2007, 06:10 AM
Joined Feb 2007
51 Posts
Well, try that cool power in a twinn engine plane with 2 os fp .25s and let me know what problems you incounter. Then let me know that theres nothing wrong with it. Speaking from the south east perspecitve= Florida.
the lubercation values of the fuel and the stability of mixture settings is what sets these two fuels apart. Theres nothing wrong with cool power if you like replaceing engine piston and sleaves& bearings all the time.
http://www.byronfuels.com/pages/facility.html

Can't seem too find a cool power fuel main sight they all have redirected or spamed. ya real quality there.
Last edited by Athlon-DHU-; Feb 18, 2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 07:15 AM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Well, try that cool power in a twinn engine plane with 2 os fp .25s and let me know what problems you incounter. Then let me know that theres nothing wrong with it. Speaking from the south east perspecitve= Florida.
the lubercation values of the fuel and the stability of mixture settings is what sets these two fuels apart. Theres nothing wrong with cool power if you like replaceing engine piston and sleaves& bearings all the time.

Can't seem too find a cool power fuel main sight they all have redirected or spamed. ya real quality there.

-------------

Last edited by Artisan; Feb 19, 2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:42 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,741 Posts
I have flown ball bearing ASP .40's a lot in old Mark's Models Funs Scale Mustangs. They were powerful and reliable engines until the cylinder/piston became worn. When worn, they would tend to go lean, apparently carb vacuum would decrease, when climbing or doing aerobatics and flame out. When worn they would lose compression when hot after a flight and would refuse to restart by hand until cooled down. I have read that these and other Chinese engines don't need much nitro and run best with 5% or less, better with FAI ( no nitro) fuels. If run with higher nitro, they need to have the extra head shim installed. The O-ring in the carb flange needs to be replaced periodically and the clamp screw not overtightened. I think that the Magnum O-ring is a good fit. There is no current US parts supplier for ASP.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 19, 2007, 07:15 AM
Joined Feb 2007
51 Posts
Well, Im not haveing a hissy fitt, Just telling you the experence I have encounterd with morgan fuel. I think you mean bushing engines when speaking about plain bearing engines. I had this fact about morgam fuels proven to me buy some of the top flyers and mfgs here in florida. Like a top patteren/jet raceing engine builder. I wont say any names but you have heard of him.Hes the one that pointed that out to me one day out on the flight line wile I was flying a twinn engine plane, I would set mixtures on the ground and as soon as the plane got into the air the engines kept changing. Had to land and reneedle the engines. After several attempts at trying to keep the engines synked he said its the fuel, and saw what I was running and told me to try byron and then I tryed it. He was right, I never experenced a synked problem sence.One of the pylon champion racers was there and supported it also. And A top jet mfg in the area uses it also.I think that if byron fuel is good enough to protect custom made $500 ducted fan engines turning 22,000 to 28,000 rpm its good enough for me! So I think I will take there word on this matter. Not some good old boy from geroga. Thanks for the input and reply Have a good day.
Last edited by Athlon-DHU-; Feb 19, 2007 at 07:23 AM. Reason: correction
Old Feb 19, 2007, 07:31 AM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Well, Im not haveing a hissy fitt, Just telling you the experence I have encounterd with morgan fuel. I think you mean bushing engines when speaking about plain bearing engines. I had this fact about morgam fuels proven to me buy some of the top flyers and mfgs here in florida. Like a top patteren/jet raceing engine builder. I wont say any names but you have heard of him.Hes the one that pointed that out to me one day out on the flight line wile I was flying a twinn engine plane, I would set mixtures on the ground and as soon as the plane got into the air the engines kept changing. Had to land and reneedle the engines. After several attempts at trying to keep the engines synked he said its the fuel, and saw what I was running and told me to try byron and then I tryed it. He was right, I never experenced a synked problem sence.One of the pylon champion racers was there and supported it also. And A top jet mfg in the area uses it also.I think that if byron fuel is good enough to protect custom made $500 ducted fan engines turning 22,000 to 28,000 rpm its good enough for me! So I think I will take there word on this matter. Not some good old boy from geroga. Thanks for the input and reply Have a good day.

-----------

My apologies to you. Wasn't feeling well when I posted.

Ed Cregger