HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2007, 06:50 PM
Early aviation nut ....
Auckland, NZ
Joined Jul 2005
422 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake IPS Farman Sport monoplane

O.K. - here we go with another of Pete's IPS series designs. This one's a Farman Sport monoplane, the original of which was intended to compete in the 1926 Coupe Zenith. Pete did a Speed 400 design for this plane a few years ago, and there is a build thread of it here

This version is 24" wingspan x 9.5" chord which gives a 228 sq.in. area. If I can hold the weight to 7 oz., that will give me about 4.42 oz./sq.ft. loading.

So far, I plan on using the following electronic kit for the build:

GWS IPS with "A" gearing
7 x 6 GWS prop
2 x Bluebird 303 servos
450 mAh 3 cell LiPo battery pack
GWS Li480 ESC
GWS Naro receiver

The ESC (15A!) & battery pack are definitely overkill, but are all I have available at present. Battery pack weighs 36gr, so it shouldn't be too bad - only 10gr heavier than the 300 mAh packs I usually use.

I did the wing first, as there's a lot of it (comparatively speaking). So far, so good. Now on to the fuselage .....

Greg
Woodbutcher is offline Find More Posts by Woodbutcher
Last edited by Woodbutcher; Feb 11, 2007 at 06:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2007, 08:32 PM
Isle of Rhode, US
Joined Sep 2004
1,041 Posts
Interesting plane.

Looks to be the original flying barn door.

I'll bet you could lose a 10th of an ounce if you removed 2/3rd's of the ribs!
SKY KING is offline Find More Posts by SKY KING
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:44 PM
Early aviation nut ....
Auckland, NZ
Joined Jul 2005
422 Posts
That wing weighs 43 grams (1.5 oz.), motor, servos, battery, receiver & ESC account for another 90 gr (3 oz near enough). Hmmm - only 2.5 oz left of the weight budget if I'm going to stay under 7 oz. Fortunately those are the major weight items in the plane, so hopefully it will all work out in the end.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 03:25 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
You will find the undercarriage and struts make up most of the rest.. the actual woodwork will be sub an oz I would say.

Don't worry about going up to 8oz. It will still fly well on 3s LIPO.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:17 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Or elect to go with one of Elec's little 24 gram outrunners on 3S.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:22 PM
Early aviation nut ....
Auckland, NZ
Joined Jul 2005
422 Posts
I might give one of those a try when I make the aileron version, Loooeee. They aren't available here as yet - where'd you get yours?
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:34 AM
Early aviation nut ....
Auckland, NZ
Joined Jul 2005
422 Posts
It's been a week or so since I updated this log. I plead pressure of work, getting to grips with a new camera, and being distracted by building an R/C Pistachio version of the Farman for next Monday's indoor group meeting.

However, all is not lost. Wings, tail group & basic fuselage are done, as are the wheels. Next up is R/C gear installation, dummy motor & nose construction.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 05:27 AM
Early aviation nut ....
Auckland, NZ
Joined Jul 2005
422 Posts
There's been lots happening these past few days, but not much to show for it, as most of the effort has gone into planning gear placement, cable runs, varying battery locations, etc.
I tried making a paper template to simplify cutting the cockpit & nose sheeting to shape, but it didn't work out properly. As you can see from the pics I wound up making 2 seperate sections instead of 1.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:16 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,655 Posts
Greg,
Looks good mate. Very pretty servos too.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:56 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
"Woodbutcher" , huh?!
I like to think of myself as a reasonably tidy builder, but that's wonderfully precise work, much nice than I can do. It always shows in the small-scale jobs. If I did a Speed 400 version twice the size, the build photos might look about as good as your IPS version.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:30 PM
Early aviation nut ....
Auckland, NZ
Joined Jul 2005
422 Posts
Quote:
"Woodbutcher" , huh?!
Yep! That's what my old woodwork teacher called me, anyway. He also gave me the single most useful homily I've ever heard - "If you make a F@#k-up - make a feature out of it ...

But it's mostly Pete's design which makes for a good fit. All I do is cut the bits out as per plan.
Last edited by Woodbutcher; Feb 25, 2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 05:51 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbutcher
I might give one of those a try when I make the aileron version, Loooeee. They aren't available here as yet - where'd you get yours?

Well I really don't have one, yet. I'm pretty sure that United Hobbies carries a clone or a rebadged one under their own Hextronic line of small outrunners. At least it looks the same as the Elec motor, and they get some rave reviews by rewinders and other modders of small motors.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 03:44 AM
Early aviation nut ....
Auckland, NZ
Joined Jul 2005
422 Posts
Thanks, Loooeee - I'll try one & see.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 03:20 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,655 Posts
Greg,
Would one of these be any use? http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=158
I had been planning to use it in my Hergt Monoplane but the bulk of the fuselage makes me suspect that the baby AXI might be better. If it looks useful, you're welcome to it.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Feb 26, 2007, 03:35 PM
Early aviation nut ....
Auckland, NZ
Joined Jul 2005
422 Posts
Pete,

Looks interesting, and certainly worth a try. Yes, please! Email me with cost & I'll send the funds over.

Greg