SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2002, 12:42 AM
edison,nj
Joined Jun 2001
115 Posts
Wattage Hawk crashed on first flight due to Aileron problem, need expert advice!

Hi,

Try the Hawk today and it was very very fast. Unfortunately, it crashed into the mud and broke into several pieces. It was later found out that the Aileron WON'T return to "zero" after turning left or right. I installed the Aileron control according to the manual, but it seems that it doesn't work that great.

Anyone get any great idea?
This is a really great machine, except the Aileron setup.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

p.s. attached picture shows the bent propeller, broken vertical stablizer, and the Aileron setup.
ericss is offline Find More Posts by ericss
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2002, 01:07 AM
GAM
Joined Apr 2002
17 Posts
My guess is your aileron servo is being interfered with by some other components in the fuselage. On my Hawk I had to move the elevator servo tray all the way to the bottom of the fuse, otherwise it would jam up my aileron servo.

Your aileron setup itself looks fine. Good luck with this plane as I really enjoy mine.

GAM
GAM is offline Find More Posts by GAM
Old Sep 30, 2002, 01:15 AM
Everett Snohomish, Washington, United States
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
use a nylon tube sleeve in the aileron

When i put mine together, i thought that the recommended setup would bind, so this is how i did it: I put a small nylon tube in the ailieron that the part of the torque rod sticking into the aileron can slide on, this prevents binding. The binding occurs since the TE of the wing and the LE of the aileron get closer and further apart as the aileron is moved, and the part of the torque rod that sits in the aileron wants to slide in and out of the aileron. Hope this helps (is tough to explain)
slammin is offline Find More Posts by slammin
Old Sep 30, 2002, 04:22 PM
Anacortes, Wa. USA
Joined Aug 2000
290 Posts
The aileron hinge line itself could be binding, too. Try removing your pushrods and flexing the ailerons up and down several times to see how stiff they are. I you're using the molded foam hinge in the wing, they may be stiff. You can cut completely through the hinge and then use tape to hinge the ailerons. This will make them move more freely. Obviously, double-check that there is no binding present and that the ailerons return to center before your next flight.

-Todd
ToddNicholson is offline Find More Posts by ToddNicholson
Old Sep 30, 2002, 10:09 PM
edison,nj
Joined Jun 2001
115 Posts
GAM,

Thanks, I marked on the fuse the location of the aileron servo and I also push the elevator servo to the far back.

Todd,

You are right. I am going to do the mod. recommended by slammin. Thanks.

slammin,

You explanation is clear and precise, I am going to do the same mod. What kind of plastic tube you are using? It has to be just fit, otherwise, slop may occur between the wire and the tube.

Also, it seems that "the part of the push rod" that "stay" on the wing is not holding its position all the time. Any idea to fix it?

Eric
Old Oct 01, 2002, 12:01 AM
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
The tubing iused was 1/16 inch yellow nylon tubing. I also cut a length of this, slit it lengthwise and put it over the part of the torque rod that stays attached. I also cut a small recess in the foam for this and mad sure to only put the sticky cardboard over the tubing sleeve and not the bare torque rod.
Old Oct 02, 2002, 12:51 AM
edison,nj
Joined Jun 2001
115 Posts
slammin,

Thanks for the input. I have just fixed the aileron. Can't wait to test fly it again. This bird is really fast, as fast as those glow plane.

Eric
Old Oct 02, 2002, 08:58 AM
Joined Jun 2002
238 Posts
glad to help
good luck with the test flight